The one myth that won't die: You need 8 cups of water

Options
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/you-dont-need-8-glasses-of-water-a-day/

Quite simply, there are no known benefits to drinking water beyond quenching thirst and making sure you aren't dehydrated (usually easily monitored by checking the color of your urine). I'm not sure why so many on here insist that drinking 8 cups a day is necessary for health or effective weight loss, when the scientific evidence says otherwise.
Does it help satiate? Perhaps for some, but that puts it in the same category as 'you need to eat several small meals a day' type of thinking. Is it a good alternative to sugary drinks because it is calorie-free? Absolutely, but then we are getting into the whole 'sugar is evil' debate.
In short, drink to avoid dehydration and quench thirst, but no need to force yourself to drink copious amounts of water for spurious health or weight loss benefits. Of course, this does not apply to those with specific medical conditions which require substantial water intake - as always follow your doctor's advice there.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Yeah, I don't think drinking a lot of something that's zero calorie rather than something that's 150 calories per 12 ounces has to do with sugar being evil.

I've had about 10 cups of water with Mio already today. That's 1000 calories of Dr Pepper as opposed to 0. I like me some DP and some sugar, but not at that price.

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Water has helped in my weight loss more than anything else. When I'm hungry I ALWAYS drink a cup of water first then reevaluate my hunger cue in 30 minutes.... 9 times out of 10, I'm just thirsty. I will say my 29 weight loss is thanks to water (to aid my calorie deficit) and I wish I would have known about it sooner than listening to dumb articles that said we don't need water.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I drink water after exercising but other than that I drink mostly tea. I don't have sugar in it, and a mug of tea contains the same amount of fluid as a mug of water, so I don't see how drinking plain water would benefit me over drinking tea.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    If I didn't drink 10-12 cups worth a day at least, I WOULD be dehydrated..... I move, I sweat, I digest and my system depends on that much H2O to function at its best. I'm assuming that the 8 cups is an estimate where most people would sit for getting properly quenched. I also wouldn't consider 8 cups (8 oz each) a "substantial" amount. Thirst is one of the final signals of dehydration along with dizziness and fatigue, you shouldn't let yourself get there ideally. No offense I'm not going to go to the bathroom and observe my urine before assessing if I need a glass of water or not, I'll just drink it anyways.

For me that's not even taking into account that water would be replacing other drinks that might be higher in calories, though I think for many that yes that plays a huge part in aiding weight loss.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    freeoscar wrote: »
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/you-dont-need-8-glasses-of-water-a-day/

Quite simply, there are no known benefits to drinking water beyond quenching thirst and making sure you aren't dehydrated (usually easily monitored by checking the color of your urine). I'm not sure why so many on here insist that drinking 8 cups a day is necessary for health or effective weight loss, when the scientific evidence says otherwise.
    Does it help satiate? Perhaps for some, but that puts it in the same category as 'you need to eat several small meals a day' type of thinking. Is it a good alternative to sugary drinks because it is calorie-free? Absolutely, but then we are getting into the whole 'sugar is evil' debate.
    In short, drink to avoid dehydration and quench thirst, but no need to force yourself to drink copious amounts of water for spurious health or weight loss benefits. Of course, this does not apply to those with specific medical conditions which require substantial water intake - as always follow your doctor's advice there.

It is better for weight loss because it is calorie free. It has nothing to do with sugar intake.

Funny. My doctor orders were keep doing what I am doing because he has taught me nothing for weight loss.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Need. Probably not. Would drinking 8 hurt? Probably not.

It's like static stretching. Doesn't NEED to be done, but it doesn't hurt to have it in one's regimen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    This is not really a myth (or a rule); it is an attainable and logical guideline. More people are dehydrated in the world than water-logged. Consider all the people in the world, not just yourself. If you take diuretics, consume caffeine or other drugs, workout/sweat a lot, have a high sodium diet or regular alcohol intake, live in a hot climate, etc. then it would be wise to also ensure you're appropriately hydrated.

And you cannot always go by clear urine color; case in point, if you take vitamins.

I regularly get 8-12 cups of water (including black coffee & unsweetened tea) per day with extreme ease.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I guess I've been missing all the posts where people are whining about having to drink *so* much water. And as far as my personal experience goes, I easily go through 120oz/day + just by having a sip whenever it strikes me to do so. It's certainly not something I force myself to do.
  • BeesmaMFP
    BeesmaMFP Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    There are many studies the support drinking water--especially prior to eating a meal--and conclude that it does aid in weight loss. It's no magic bullet, but as others have said, it certainly doesn't hurt. Eight eight-ounce glasses in a day isn't that much, and I drink much more than that even when I'm not in weight-loss mode.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    It's just a general recommendation, not a rule. Chill out.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I can easily drink over 140 oz of water per day. I'm just really thirsty all the time! Do I NEED it? I don't know, I just want it.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with being hydrated.
  • Raysie1
    Raysie1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I don't think OP is saying hydration is bad, just that it doesn't have to come from water. We actually get a lot of what we need just from our food.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    On the bright side, that's the only myth related to diet/fitness.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    EvanKeel wrote: »
    I guess I've been missing all the posts where people are whining about having to drink *so* much water. And as far as my personal experience goes, I easily go through 120oz/day + just by having a sip whenever it strikes me to do so. It's certainly not something I force myself to do.

haha, exactly. There really isn't a need for a debate on this "issue".
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I drink 7 cups or 9 cups a day... I'm edgy like that ;)
  • freeoscar
    freeoscar Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    And then some other studies say water can speed metabolism:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/20040105/drinking-water-may-speed-weight-loss

As far the article you linked to, why take nutrition advice from an economics professor?

Because the folks over at 538 are experts in statistical analysis, which makes them a great reference for evaluating the meaning of studies. It's not as if they are basing their evaluation on 'common sense' or 'things I've heard' or witchcraft. They are using the scientific method.

• LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I drink water after exercising but other than that I drink mostly tea. I don't have sugar in it, and a mug of tea contains the same amount of fluid as a mug of water, so I don't see how drinking plain water would benefit me over drinking tea.

This is pretty much me. I may have some Robinson's low cal squash with water at times, but other than water when I'm working out/out and need a cool drink, I pretty much only drink tea with no sugar. Yummy yummy tea!