The one myth that won't die: You need 8 cups of water

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    More people are dehydrated in the world than water-logged.
    I find it hard to believe that any significant number of people are dehydrated, assuming liquid is available to them. Seems like one would have to be extremely dysfunctional to not just naturally drink as much as one needs (insert thing about urine color being the best way to check here) ;-).
    I'm awaiting the article that tells me how often I need to blink. Maybe MFP can add that to the log page, like a little eyeball icon that you click to log your blinks so you can be sure you get enough of them every day.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    So, drink water? Don't drink water? More flare? Less?

2014-10-22_11-37-18-620x330.jpg
  • ancurtis
    ancurtis Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I drink water, lots of it.....I love it. I down about 120 oz a day, more if I'm super active and when it's hot and humid here in Atlanta. I can empty my 72 oz Camelbak on a walk. I also eat my share of fruits and veggies which are often 'water dense'. At my recent doctor appointment for a check up, she told me I was dehydrated. I was floored. I do drink coffee in the mornings, two mugs full and I am a red wine drinker, 10-12 oz. most days. I know these are dehydrating beverages. I do not drink soda or tea. With my water intake I assumed that would offset my coffee/wine. It was hard to understand how I could be dehydrated when I drink so much and in turn pee so much. One's body is an interesting thing!
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    EvanKeel wrote: »
    I guess I've been missing all the posts where people are whining about having to drink *so* much water. And as far as my personal experience goes, I easily go through 120oz/day + just by having a sip whenever it strikes me to do so. It's certainly not something I force myself to do.

haha, exactly. There really isn't a need for a debate on this "issue".

Some people really do treat it like a rule....
    I'm all for water, but I think any myth like that should be questioned or debunked, as it's part of making this more complicated than necessary.

This^. Reducing high-calories beverages because they put you over your calorie allowance is one thing, being dehydrated is not fun either, but forcing yourself to drink more just because is another thing entirely. I've always enjoyed water a lot, but would never drink it if I am not thirsty (or want something else right then).

Also, the one myth that won't die?! What planet do you live on, I want to go there too :)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

Was wondering if someone was going to eventually pick up on that reference. I guess I spelled "flair" wrong, that's probably what through most people off, I'm sure.

I bet that flair/flare thing is like lose/loose and constantly drives people nuts on the office space fan club forums. They're probably all like, "yeahhhhh, if you could go ahead and spell it flair, that would be terrific."
  • PrizePopple
    Options

Was wondering if someone was going to eventually pick up on that reference. I guess I spelled "flair" wrong, that's probably what through most people off, I'm sure.

One of my favorite movies. I decided against the "expressing myself" gif since I don't want to waste a warning on it. :laugh:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Boot Camp?

Military Basic Training.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recruit_training
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    On the bright side, that's the only myth related to diet/fitness.

Awesome!

I drink double that - going more by urine color as my field surgeon always told me "your urine should be gin clear".

Especially considering those taking supplemental vitamins, you should increase your water intake to help flush out all the waste and metabolic byproducts.
  • PrizePopple
    Options

I bet that flair/flare thing is like lose/loose and constantly drives people nuts on the office space fan club forums. They're probably all like, "yeahhhhh, if you could go ahead and spell it flair, that would be terrific."

Bill-Lumberg-Uh-Yeah-Office-Space.gif
  • irejuvenateme
    irejuvenateme Posts: 96 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If I remember correctly, I have been told by a doctor that because my blood pressure is quite low I should make sure I stay hydrated. Water has zero calories and great for detoxing - it's not a cureall, but for a lot of people, drinking water means not drinking sugary sodas and sometimes when we think we are hungry we are thirsty.
    I have also see it help clear up the complexion too... I also see a nutritionist who reinforces my drinking plenty of water, though we have not spoken of the benefits of water persay.
    I notice when I drink less water, I tend to eat more crap...
    To each his own, if you "don't believe the hype" then go your own way.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

yeah, you think the grammar police are tough around here...

printer-scene-in-office-space-o.gif
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I'm actually surprised at how many are able to drink that much water every day with no problem.

I have come on previous threads on this topic looking for advice on how to get used to drinking more, and I've tried to do it, but it's such a chore and makes me feel so terrible that I end up back to drinking my usual 2-3 cups a day. That's counting all fluids, not just pure water. I don't ever feel thirsty and I really hate having my concentration broken by a full bladder several times a day.
  • PrizePopple
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

yeah, you think the grammar police are tough around here...

printer-scene-in-office-space-o.gif

wrong_with_you_people_office_space.gif
  • kshama2001
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    It's really no burden to sip water (for me, weak tea) all day long. I get 64 ounces no sweat.

It WAS a burden in Boot Camp to have to chug two glasses of water before being allowed to leave the table.

I would consider sipping water all day a burden. I'm a chugger. I often chug down 12-16 oz of water at a time when I'm thirsty.

I stand corrected. Sipping all day is not a burden for me :)

• kshama2001
    Options
    I'm actually surprised at how many are able to drink that much water every day with no problem.

I have come on previous threads on this topic looking for advice on how to get used to drinking more, and I've tried to do it, but it's such a chore and makes me feel so terrible that I end up back to drinking my usual 2-3 cups a day. That's counting all fluids, not just pure water. I don't ever feel thirsty and I really hate having my concentration broken by a full bladder several times a day.

Do you eat a lot of fruits and veggies with high water content?

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I don't really care about the 8 cups a day guideline, but it's true that sometimes drinking huge amounts of water is elevated as some special diet magic, and that's silly.

I find it hard to believe that any significant number of people are dehydrated, assuming liquid is available to them. Seems like one would have to be extremely dysfunctional to not just naturally drink as much as one needs (insert thing about urine color being the best way to check here) ;-).

So great, drink your water, but don't stress about it or think that if you don't get at least 8 cups of pure water per day that means you can't lose or some silliness.

Disclaimer: I have always loved drinking (that too, sadly, but here I just mean anything thirst quenching) and I've never liked drinking calories, so guzzling lots of water throughout the day (without counting it) is just something I've always done, and it's always amazed me that people can eat a meal without having water or something else to drink too. So maybe some people really let themselves get dehydrated (when not in hot weather or engaging in athletic activity) but I can't really understand how that would be a common thing such that we have to actively try to drink water and count it.

That said, I usually do count my water at least up to the 8 cups, since it's an easy way to check something off and I like checking things off. The importance just seems oddly inflated, especially when people start insisting that tea can't count or some such.

Before I got my butt back into fitness, I was chronically dehydrated. I rarely drank water and mostly drank soda and alcoholic beverages and coffee. I would occasionally piss clear in those days, but it was rare...most mornings I would wake up with very dark yellow urine.

Consuming mostly water has fixed all that...I'm pretty much always pale to clear unless I have a rough Saturday night. I drink far more than the guideline of 8 glasses. On average I'd say about a gallon per day and more during the summer months...but I also live in the desert at over a mile high in elevation...dehydration happens quick here...it's pretty much the number one thing I warn tourists about on TripAdvisor.

Yeah, I suppose I'm open to this being a possibility. I just am so much the opposite that it's hard to get my mind around.

And lots of the woo on the water topic--including stuff like the "Swiss naturopath" quoted above make me think that the water topic is a made-up problem. But if there are people who are helped by being reminded to drink water, that's great.

I think the focus on everyone needing to drink more and more water, though (like the gallon challenges I mentioned) even when they feel like it's a chore and have perfectly correct colored urine ;-) are kind of silly and annoying. Totally agree it's not a big thing, though, and it is nice to see this from someone else's POV.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    It's really no burden to sip water (for me, weak tea) all day long. I get 64 ounces no sweat.

It WAS a burden in Boot Camp to have to chug two glasses of water before being allowed to leave the table.

I would consider sipping water all day a burden. I'm a chugger. I often chug down 12-16 oz of water at a time when I'm thirsty.

I'm a chugger too. I don't like sipping water. I can drink herbal teas all day but give me a glass I'll drink it all on one go.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I find it hard to believe that any significant number of people are dehydrated

"Dehydration occurs when the body loses more fluid than it takes in. Dehydration can upset the delicate fluid-salt balance needed to maintain healthy cells and tissues."

Yes, I know what dehydration is. That doesn't make any of what you posted responsive to my comment.

Having reviewed this, it doesn't look particularly credible to me. Typical media nonsense. In particular:
    CBS reports that while most people know perfectly well that water is the way to go, up to 75 percent of the American population fall short of the 10 daily cups prescribed by the Institute of Medicine – which, in medical terms, means that most people in the U.S are functioning in a chronic state of dehydration.

No, sorry, that most people don't drink 10 cups of plain water does not at all mean that most people in the US are in a chronic state of dehydration. That's seriously ridiculous and the kind of thing that tends to make me a contrarian in this discussion.

These are all about access to water in the third world or the like. Not relevant to this discussion in the least.
    Bottom Line: If you’re not actively focusing on hydrating throughout the day, there’s a good chance you could be at least somewhat dehydrated, which could be negatively affecting your energy, vitality and immunity — as well as your appearance. Experiment with drinking more water throughout the day. You may observe an almost immediate difference in your well-being, and even if you don’t, establishing good hydration habits now will do many good things for your cellular health over the long haul.

Again, this is kind of goofy. Maybe some people really need to actively focus on hydration (although it seems a little dysfunctional, but hey, I'm kind of dysfunctional about food so maybe it's not so uncommon to be about water too, who knows). But your urine tells you how hydrated you are.