Running straight vs. training

Options
So I have gotten into the habit of running. I went from barely being able to do 1/10th of a mile through to doing over a mile and half straight through in a month. I am absolutely feeling wonderful. My question now is for fat burning is it better to just run or run for a few mins walk and than run and cycle through all of that or do I just continue to run through like I am. I want to do long runs but I also want to burn fat as well. My heart beat stays about 165-170 during my runs I am obese with a resting HB of 116 ( I don't know if this will make a difference).

Replies

• pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Look into HIIT (high intensity interval training), it's been shown to work really well for fat loss. HIIT would be like sprint (like really sprint as fast as you can) for 30 sec-1 min, then walk for 1 or 2 minutes. The whole point is to raise then lower your HR. But honestly, if you want to get into long distance running then do it. Add some weightlifting in and make sure you're at a calorie deficit and the weight will come off
  • prettyleelee
    prettyleelee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I don't weight lift yet I am waiting for a friend to help me learn it so I don't hurt myself. I am also already at a calorie deficit I only eat about 1200-1300 a day. I also have started working out my core muscles more so I can lose and tighten since I have started I have take 16lbs off.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    So there are two primary relevant facts:

1. You (generic) burn more calories running a mile than walking a mile.
    2. You are capable of walking further than you can run. It also takes more time to walk than it does to run, in almost all cases. Walking is significantly easier on your joints and muscles--you are much less likely to injure yourself (which could take you out of the exercise game altogether while you heal).

You know your schedule/time limitations and endurance.

Congratulations on building up to 1.5 miles! That's super awesome!
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I've tried interval training (running faster and then recovering). I don't think it necessarily burns fat. It can create a larger calorie deficit if you are running really fast and using short recovery times. For instance, if I burn 200 calories steadily jogging for 2 miles, I might be able to burn 250 if I am running much faster with some short walking breaks. It takes some experimenting. But I found it does NOTHING for endurance or speed.

Depending on how much time you have, I would dedicate some days to interval training, and other days for slow and steady to build endurance. Unfortunately I can only do this on the weekends.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I want to do long runs but I also want to burn fat as well

So if you want to run longer distances you need to run longer.

I'd just ignore advice recommending HIIt until you can do about an hour or so of running per session.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I want to do long runs but I also want to burn fat as well

So if you want to run longer distances you need to run longer.

I'd just ignore advice recommending HIIt until you can do about an hour or so of running per session.

And even then .........
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    So I have gotten into the habit of running. I went from barely being able to do 1/10th of a mile through to doing over a mile and half straight through in a month. I am absolutely feeling wonderful. My question now is for fat burning is it better to just run or run for a few mins walk and than run and cycle through all of that or do I just continue to run through like I am. I want to do long runs but I also want to burn fat as well. My heart beat stays about 165-170 during my runs I am obese with a resting HB of 116 ( I don't know if this will make a difference).

Key point is you are starting to enjoy running. It doesn't need to be hard. You can and will lose weight by running - just as long as you don't get injured. Which happens to a lot of people that start speedwork before they are remotely ready. You can get crazy fit and crazy fast by just doing your miles.

Don't just think "I want to lose weight by running" - think "I AM a runner".
  • irsyadnh
    irsyadnh Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing HIIT. Yes it was good training regime, but for don't throw away your fun. HIIT is very intense, plus need good physics and mental. Your heart rate is around 75 to 95 percent during stress exercise time and heart rate between 65 to 75 percent during slow exercise time . Yet what I always thinking during HIIT is "Oh, I'm dying, I'm dying." But yeah I get good result with HIIT, my breath is longer than before and my sprint speed is getting better.

So, my advice, keep fun during run and dropping weight. Don't target your fat at beginning because it will slowly destroy motivation. Fun is best motivation!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options

@prettyleelee Congratulations on your progress so far and more importantly on discovering that you love running and how it makes you feel. That's great! As another said up-thread, you are a runner. Now! Yes now!

For heavier people (that would describe me too a bunch of months ago) the best advice is to focus on building endurance and the best way to do that is to gradually build up your time on your feet... running. Run-walk is not a second-best approach, it's a great approach.

Don't focus on "burning fat" - that will happen. You keep up your running training program and watch your calories in, and you'll drop the weight. I've lost 67 pounds from 255 to 188 and for the first 40-50 I was still in my building phase, working on extending my runs from 2km to 5km and beyond.

What you'll want to do is slow down - try to target a heart rate of 145 maximum. If you can't achieve that while still running, take up run-walk and just change the ratio. Give it a try and report back!

Running (run-walk is still "running") for longer and longer periods of time at such a heart rate will build up your aerobic capacity, will allow your body to recover faster, and will help you reduce injury. That last point is very important - you don't want to develop injuries that sideline you from something you are enjoying.

I'd recommend finding a local running group. They are often great sources of advice and running can be social. Don't worry about your pace - you'll find most groups offer a wide variety of pace groups, there should be one that works for you.

Again, don't focus on fat-burning zones or anything like that. It will happen! What you must focus on is building your aerobic capacity / cardio pulmonary function. Do that and you'll be simply amazed at how much progress you make month to month. Promise.

• stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Awesome..you seem to be enjoying it and that is the key. Building endurance and staying healthy is the key for a while. You can always mix it up and that would help in diffrnt ways. Way to go..Rin prettyleelee run...they suggestion of a running group is a good idea...
  • hollyberry6182
    hollyberry6182 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I am quite new to running. i decided to give it a go in mid-April this year. A year ago i tried the c25k which involved run-walk but i struggled as i was running fast during the running interval. I struggled to get my breathe back and it really put me off.

This year, i decided just to run without the c25k app. A running friend of mine told me to slow down, increasing the amount of steps I'm doing instead of trying to cover a larger distance in a shorter space of time.

I began running a 14 minute mile and repeated this, slowly increasing the distance by a tenth of a mile each time. Over a couple of weeks, my breathing was better. My health was better and my time was better - averaging 10.30 minute mile without trying to improve it, it just came naturally.

By the 30 th April i competed in my first 5k race. I completed this in 31 minutes. I wasn't the fastest but that didn't bother me. It was the fact i managed to do it.

A week later, I've slowed my pace down again to between 11-12 minute mile and building up my distance. So far I've managed 5.39 miles as my farthest distance.

What I'm trying to say is, keep running. Slow down and slowly increase the distances you are doing each time. It gets easier and you will feel the benefits and see the benefits naturally. Go with what feels right for you.
  • prettyleelee
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I would love to join a running group but it scares me to run outside. The last time I did I gave myself shin splints. I am not running at a fast pace only 3.5-3.8 as I am trying to figure out my breathing still. I have decided to mix it up with a straight run and a mixed run.

MWY my heart rate at a regular is 116-120 so I hit 145 easily and don't break a sweat. I know I need to sweat during a workout that's why I take it so high. I also only have about 30-45mins in the gym a day due to kidos and work.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    A good rule of thumb about setting a maximum slower (training) pace is that you should be able to carry on a conversation while running.

There is such a thing as too slow though - at some point the mechanics of running break down if the pace drops too low; if you can walk as fast as you are running, that's about the cross over point.

I'd still talk to a local running group leader or visit a good running store to be sure you are properly equipped. Running outside need not be a shin-splints generator.

Another thought on running outside - when I was heavier I much preferred running on softer trails in the park. Eventually, when i was ready to move beyond those trails, I knew it myself.
  • prettyleelee
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    A good rule of thumb about setting a maximum slower (training) pace is that you should be able to carry on a conversation while running.

There is such a thing as too slow though - at some point the mechanics of running break down if the pace drops too low; if you can walk as fast as you are running, that's about the cross over point.

I'd still talk to a local running group leader or visit a good running store to be sure you are properly equipped. Running outside need not be a shin-splints generator.

Another thought on running outside - when I was heavier I much preferred running on softer trails in the park. Eventually, when i was ready to move beyond those trails, I knew it myself.

I always check to see if I can sing to myself at my pace since there's no one to talk to lol.

I can fast pace walk at where I am running I'm only doing 3.8-4.

I have been to gazelle that's where my shoes are from. I also did there begginers running class to see where I needed to improve my forum.

I am looking at starting on running on the dirt road across from my house.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    For me it is a daily choice depending on how I am feeling.

29509743.png
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Not wanting to butt in (with something you didn't ask) but have you talked to your doctor about this, to get cleared for intense aerobic training?Your resting pulse rate is abnormally high (tachycardia range). Have you had a careful heart exam to rule out any heart conditions that would affect your exercise?
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I can't run straight. I run-walk. Run for a bit, walk, run for a bit, walk. I did two half marathons like that so don't be discouraged. I'd be scraped off the pavement if I tried running straight. Also, if you're serious, run outside, get better shoes, and stretch. My shins hurt for a while and I had to ice quite a bit when I was starting out. Now I just do some good stretches beforehand. I had to buy "actual" shoes. Not crappy ones from Kohls. I'm heavy set and needed extra cushion to help with the 190+ pounding down on the ground. I was fitted for some nice Asics Gel-Cumulus 16's. Best $90 I ever spent. It's like running on marshmallows.

As for the weight training, cross-train on days you don't run. I do a workout dvd every other day.
  • prettyleelee
    Options
    I can't run straight. I run-walk. Run for a bit, walk, run for a bit, walk. I did two half marathons like that so don't be discouraged. I'd be scraped off the pavement if I tried running straight. Also, if you're serious, run outside, get better shoes, and stretch. My shins hurt for a while and I had to ice quite a bit when I was starting out. Now I just do some good stretches beforehand. I had to buy "actual" shoes. Not crappy ones from Kohls. I'm heavy set and needed extra cushion to help with the 190+ pounding down on the ground. I was fitted for some nice Asics Gel-Cumulus 16's. Best $90 I ever spent. It's like running on marshmallows.

As for the weight training, cross-train on days you don't run. I do a workout dvd every other day.

I actually have shoes from Gazelle its a huge running store where I am at they watch you run and fit to your running style they were $125 from there. I don't have sore calf's anymore either they have gotten pretty use to me running on the Mill.
    Not wanting to butt in (with something you didn't ask) but have you talked to your doctor about this, to get cleared for intense aerobic training?Your resting pulse rate is abnormally high (tachycardia range). Have you had a careful heart exam to rule out any heart conditions that would affect your exercise?

I have been completely checked over I ended up gaining a huge amount of weight in two months. After that my doctor did a complete overhaul on my body and found nothing other than thinking sleep apnea.
  • jacklfc88
    jacklfc88 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    jaga13 wrote: »
    I've tried interval training (running faster and then recovering). I don't think it necessarily burns fat. It can create a larger calorie deficit if you are running really fast and using short recovery times. For instance, if I burn 200 calories steadily jogging for 2 miles, I might be able to burn 250 if I am running much faster with some short walking breaks. It takes some experimenting. But I found it does NOTHING for endurance or speed.

Depending on how much time you have, I would dedicate some days to interval training, and other days for slow and steady to build endurance. Unfortunately I can only do this on the weekends.

So much science behind it I won't bore you but HIIT is an excellent tool for fat loss. HIIT causes actual metabolic changes and helps with muscle retention.

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Fat loss comes from a calorie deficit. Yes, working out can help creat that deficit, but fat loss is going to primarily come from your diet.

Exercise is for health: like strengthing muscles, retaining bone mass, and improving the endurance of your cardiovascular system.

As for doing a run/walk or just run, it's personal preference. When I started running, I did run/walk intervals. It was easier for me. I slowly increased my running interval and shortened my walking. Now, I primarily do just running, but I still do run/walk intervals when I feel like it.