Running straight vs. training

Options
2»

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    jacklfc88 wrote: »
    So much science behind it I won't bore you but HIIT is an excellent tool for fat loss. HIIT causes actual metabolic changes and helps with muscle retention.

While HIIT can deliver some marginal benefit, it's really not appropriate for someone whose limit is a mile and a half running at the moment.

To put that in context, warming up for a decent quality high intensity session will cover nearly two miles, with another two miles cooling down again after finishing.

The originator will get most benefit from just running more miles at the moment. In about a year, speed sessions might generate some benefit.

At the moment doing a HIIT session is more likely to lead to injury.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Not wanting to butt in (with something you didn't ask) but have you talked to your doctor about this, to get cleared for intense aerobic training?Your resting pulse rate is abnormally high (tachycardia range). Have you had a careful heart exam to rule out any heart conditions that would affect your exercise?

I have been completely checked over I ended up gaining a huge amount of weight in two months. After that my doctor did a complete overhaul on my body and found nothing other than thinking sleep apnea.

Okay, glad to hear all is well. Just wanted to make sure before we all tell you to do high intensity interval training!! I agree with those who say HIIT is a good way to train, though I don't think you have to choose between that and just straight running for distance. Do a little of both. I am a runner and I have some days that I focus on distance (usually 6.5-7 miles since I'm training for a 10K) but don't push myself to the limits in terms of speed. Other days I do interval training at shorter distances in order to work on speed and pushing the upper limits of what my heart can do. Other days I just go jog a mile and enjoy the day. I like the variety. It's all good for my body and mind. :)
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    So much science behind it I won't bore you but HIIT is an excellent tool for fat loss. HIIT causes actual metabolic changes and helps with muscle retention.

While HIIT can deliver some marginal benefit, it's really not appropriate for someone whose limit is a mile and a half running at the moment.

To put that in context, warming up for a decent quality high intensity session will cover nearly two miles, with another two miles cooling down again after finishing.

The originator will get most benefit from just running more miles at the moment. In about a year, speed sessions might generate some benefit.

This. Don't even think about speed/HIIT/fartleks/sprints etc until you can at least run 6+ miles at once (I'd even say more).
  • prettyleelee
    prettyleelee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    gdyment wrote: »

This. Don't even think about speed/HIIT/fartleks/sprints etc until you can at least run 6+ miles at once (I'd even say more).

Thanks guys yeah I really want to get into running and I know I am at a low point in running really with only 1.5 miles I am hoping to build it up. I have never in my life been able to run 1.5miles straight in my life I am extremely happy with it.
  • jacklfc88
    jacklfc88 Posts: 247 Member
    Options

apologies for confusion yeah i wasn't aiming at the OP just responding to another post. you're dead right.
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options

Thanks guys yeah I really want to get into running and I know I am at a low point in running really with only 1.5 miles I am hoping to build it up. I have never in my life been able to run 1.5miles straight in my life I am extremely happy with it.

When you make it to 2 miles, throw a party! I can still picture the first time I made it to the end of the block, then the 2nd block, then the lights 500m away, then the complete loop (~2k) - those are big milestones even if they don't seem all that impressive on a messageboard.

That's the takeaway. If you run for the next 2 years, never doing speed/track stuff, and build up to maybe 10 miles at once - that's totally fantastic and you should be extremely happy.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I am at a low point in running really with only 1.5 miles I am hoping to build it up. I have never in my life been able to run 1.5miles straight in my life I am extremely happy with it.

Everyone starts somewhere. Around two years ago I was glad to be finishing Week 1, Day 1 of Couch to 5K. Now I routinely run 10-12 mile long runs.

What will serve you best now is getting plenty of easy miles in, so concentrate on getting beyond 1.5miles. Either run/ walk like C25K or when you're out just push a little further each time.

Good luck
  • prettyleelee
    Options
    gdyment wrote: »

When you make it to 2 miles, throw a party! I can still picture the first time I made it to the end of the block, then the 2nd block, then the lights 500m away, then the complete loop (~2k) - those are big milestones even if they don't seem all that impressive on a messageboard.

That's the takeaway. If you run for the next 2 years, never doing speed/track stuff, and build up to maybe 10 miles at once - that's totally fantastic and you should be extremely happy.

I am planning on it just not sure what. I was so use to giving myself food as a reward for reaching milestones I no longer want to do that. I am now on a hunt for a replacement.

• FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    If you want to burn fat, make your diet perfect first
  • prettyleelee
    Options
    FitBeto wrote: »

What is a perfect diet? Isn't a diet different for people?
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    FitBeto wrote: »

What is a perfect diet? Isn't a diet different for people?

There is no perfect diet. I think the poster was getting at: make sure you eat a calorie deficit, that's the "perfect" diet to lose fat.

And yes, everyone has a different diet. Some people are vegans, some vegetarians, some omnivore, some use if it fits your macros, others swear by only eating whole nutritious foods. Find what works for you and what you'll stick with.