Getting jeered at whilst exercising

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    So. Let me just say this- they are teenagers.
    Next to screaming babies and small barking dogs-they are the worst thing on this planet. They are not nice- they are insecure and shallow.

I wouldn't even give them the time of day. Do not let such a lower level life form bother you. You're out there killing it- continue to kill it.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Yes, people suck. But, we're all grown-ups: Ignore them, and trudge on. I get people making remarks while I'm bike commuting to work. Sometimes I give them the one-finger salute, but most often I just ignore them.
  • Xo_c_e_b_xo
    Xo_c_e_b_xo Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand people , I bet these boys are munting too !! I know it's hard but try to ignore them. Finding a different route will be best as well
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    where the heck do you live?! I have to say we have people of all shapes and sizes here and I've never heard anything like that, in fact on the trails, most of us high five as we pass. Headphones, nothing will bother them more than no reaction. Bullies hate to be ignored.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Jennloella wrote: »
    where the heck do you live?! I have to say we have people of all shapes and sizes here and I've never heard anything like that, in fact on the trails, most of us high five as we pass. Headphones, nothing will bother them more than no reaction. Bullies hate to be ignored.

oh NM I see now where you're at. sucky.
  • foreverslim1111
    foreverslim1111 Posts: 2,609 Member
    Options
    I'm 70 years old and I live in L.A. California and I have had similar things to this happen to me, maybe 4 or 5 times during my life time. And it has almost always been teenagers. They yelled (what these idiots considered real insults). "Hey grandma - your to old to run" and "where ya going Martha?" (that's not my name), and "haha look at that stupid hat". That was the best they could do. I always act like I'm deaf and don't ever show any reaction when this happens. So, you see this can happen to people who are exercising anywhere and in any country. Its a sad fact that there are bullies everywhere and they love to impress each other. And I'm sure that many of them are living very unhappy and unloved lives. Because I do believe in Karma. If you put out hate in life, it will come back to bit you in the *kitten*.

• rdlewis123
    rdlewis123 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Talk to the gym management. There is a ZERO tolerance of that at my gym.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    This is where I would tell "jog on" at them, and then giggle to myself how it's a bit of a double entendre.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    This actually happened to me when I was first starting out with weight loss...I was running and some dude yelled from a car "you go girl...thunder thiiiiighs!!!" I had a moment where I almost gave up...but instead I ran harder. 3 1/2 years later the weight it is still off
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    It's not a gym it's outside. I cycle to my run and the run twice round a park then cycle home.

Just don't rent them any space in your brain. They are just jealous they don't love themselves as much as you are loving yourself by getting fit. Headphones are ok but not to loud, if they see your headphones, they probably won't bother commenting. And an alternate route might be a good idea too.

Since this is a group of teens in a park, call the city council office and report that they are bothering adult users of the park.

• AnnebelleLee
    AnnebelleLee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    No one can make you feel inferior unless you allow it. Just ignore the idiots. The world needs people like that....buzzards have to eat too.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Small minds; they are probably doing to make themselves feel superior. Ignore them and keep on trucking. One day you will look like they wished they could. I've been in your shoes in a way; if I'd listened to them not sure where I would be today.
  • tiffanyaiv
    tiffanyaiv Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    As someone who is working toward a healthy weight gain is concerned I also get rude comments about my small size and it is very hard to handle but I do my best and continue on my path to self improvement! :smile:
  • berndanddana
    berndanddana Posts: 114 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I've dealt with something similar. Mine came from my ex husband, who told me while I was in the hospital after delivering number three that I should use my time wisely and walk the halls, because I had a lot of weight to lose. Mean people will be mean. I know it hurts, but they really aren't worth the salt in your tears.
  • TheRealBill
    TheRealBill Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It's only happened to me once that I know of (I usually run with headphones). They started running alongside me. I just laughed and chatted with them and they were out of breath and bored within minutes. If they are intimidating, and it's possible, I would avoid them. If not, smile and keep moving. They can't ruin your day if you don't let them.

Sounds like no one made fun of you, you just had immature boys trying to get your attention and didn't know a good way.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    my ex husband

WHEW.
    they really aren't worth the salt in your tears.

good line
  • tedioustrainingap
    tedioustrainingap Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Yes it's a group of teenagers who are always there, I'm in Wiltshire, England. It's generally a nice place to live but this is getting me down. I think I will try to change my route so I can avoid them, I would happily go further if I don't get shouted at.

I'm sorry that you're experiencing this. No one should have to endure heckling while going about their daily life! Nor should you have to avoid an area you would otherwise use and have equal right to use. One option might be to speak with your local PCSO? They can be incredibly helpful in resolving errant teen issues. If you can identify which school they attend, they might also be worth contacting - particularly if they carry out this behaviour while in uniform.

• bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    First off, well done for getting out there and running! It's hard enough when you don't have to face abuse from idiots. Knowing what teenage brats in the UK are like, the best thing to do is ignore (or get a big dog to run with you). They feed off response but will eventually get bored if they get none. what ever you do, don't let them win.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    As a native New Yorker (read: I'm used to that) I can tell you how to deal with this. You make this gesture:

And yell "Vaffanculo!" At the top of your lungs. Then just keep on rocking on with your awesome self.

Always worked for me. Actually when I was larger, having the accent and my size was intimidating enough to make them stop until the next time.
    sistrsprkl wrote: »
    I used to live/run in Queens, I would just crank up my headphones so I wouldn't hear the jeers/catcalls/etc... Let it make you stronger! You know you're beautiful :)

I run along Ocean Parkway in Brooklyn. I'd get it from teenagers and adults alike. That's the bad thing about New York, nowadays teenagers and adults are more alike in matters like bullying like this.

OP, eff them, I say. Don't let it stop you, you'll only hate yourself for it.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Hmmm do martial arts interest you? You could learn some. And then also get better and faster at running... and then if you ever see these kids once you're even more awesome than you are now, you chase them down, kick their butts, check their IDs, drag them home and tell their parents. I like that.

In the mean time... I would change my route if it were me. Running with headphones sufficient enough to block it out doesn't sound too safe to me.
    davidcliff wrote: »
    Take some kick boxing classes and then let 'em have it. POW!

And that would get you charged with assault, specially since you weren't attacked first.

Change your route or ignore them.

Do not wear headphones and"crank" up the music. Especially on your bike. That is so incredibly dangerous and stupid since you can't hear your surroundings and don't know what's coming up behind you.