Getting jeered at whilst exercising

Options

Replies

• Juliekat11
    Juliekat11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't let rude, crude and mean people stop you from reaching your goals. I agree with the other posts - turn up the headphones and ignore them!
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    ... or perhaps just immature.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they shout things at everyone who passes by, whether overweight or not... something can always be found to criticize.
  • karynclarke
    karynclarke Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I hate scally teenagers, they think they're so big and hard and want to impress their mates. Where I used to live I would get the same kind of jeering just walking to the shops. That's one if the biggest reasons I never started running when I lived there.

I moved to a small village a couple of years ago and haven't had a single comment off anyone.

Do you have any rural public footpaths, woods or country parks near you? I live in Cheshire, and pretty much all my running is trail running. The only people I see are other runners, cyclists, dog walkers, horse riders and families spending the day out together. Another option is a public footpath in a field, there is a field near mine where I started running until I could get up the courage to run somewhere more public.

You are a strong person and better than those little hits, keep up the awesome work!!
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I agree that finding another park might be a good idea. Or the headphones.

If it's any comfort, you now know that a lot of other people know that those teens are ar$ehole louts.

If you've lost weight already, you might make a T-shirt documenting it, just for yourself.
    On the front, _____ pounds lost. (You can cross out and fill in new figures below as the loss continues.)
    On the back, a graph starting with your max weight. The shirt doesn't have to show what that was, or how many pounds are marked by the horizontal lines. Just leave space on the right for continuing loss. :)

You could use anything from a permanent marker to those puffy craft store paints.

I haven't worked up the nerve to run. Instead, I've been walking in my neighborhood and surrounding neighborhoods. This morning, I stopped a couple times. The first time, I used a live oak tree's big root as a seat. The second time, I reclined on the grass in the shade to consult my phone's GPS. A nice lady came out from across the street to make sure I was OK. I assured her that I was, and didn't need a ride home. I guess they're not used to strangers reclining on the edges of their front lawns. :)

Maybe I should carry a folding camp stool. We own a couple.
  • Em_runs_away
    Em_runs_away Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness, thank you so much for your kind words and support, it means such a lot to me. I'm determined to keep going now, I'll change my route and consider headphones. Thank you.
  • rachael00679
    rachael00679 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Buy an iPod or a radio with earphones and turn it up.
    Some people are just *kitten* unfortunately. They are everywhere in life. You need to learn to just ignore them.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I get jeered at every time I cycle/run I'm trying not to let it get me down but it's so mean. I'm trying to do something about being a "fatty" so why do they feel the need to be horrible? Tonight it was "Pedal fat girl, pedal!" Other nights it's been "Fatty run...Earthquake!"

I'm so sorry you have to experience that. :disappointed: Unfortunately, the world is full of ***holes, there's not much to be done but let the comments pass on by (which can be hard, I know).
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    At least they do it in a British accent. Headphones. I run outside and started when I was pretty big (read: FAT) I don't know if anyone ever yelled because I had music on really loud. Now I'm in much better shape and run much faster... Once I got a thumbs up... I think it was a thumb :hushed: So: headphones / Ignore, but don't stop!! Great job!!

Maybe something like this would be appropriate.. (hope I don't get banned)

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQL0f8ytNrfa-XS5_94LeCq7CwlpYcm4OSOV-GVhezf97orxfSlzJPaeJz79Q&usqp=CAE
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I think you are forgetting to put on your invisible crown before you go out. Don't let a sub-human make you feel less than. It takes a lot of courage and strength to stay on the weight loss path, and you're doing it!!!
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    @Em - have you decided how to deal with the louts? Headphones and ignoring the ignorant, a new route, both, or something else entirely?
  • davidcliff
    davidcliff Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Take some kick boxing classes and then let 'em have it. POW!
  • kimault1984
    kimault1984 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    People suck. I'm really sorry, but...

Personally, I used people's idiotic comments to motivate me. As much as it may hurt your feelings, use that hurt and turn it into something positive. Make them eat their words!

Looking back I would almost offer a sincere thank you to all of the morons. Almost.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hmmm do martial arts interest you? You could learn some. And then also get better and faster at running... and then if you ever see these kids once you're even more awesome than you are now, you chase them down, kick their butts, check their IDs, drag them home and tell their parents. I like that.

In the mean time... I would change my route if it were me. Running with headphones sufficient enough to block it out doesn't sound too safe to me.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    You're outside right? God I hate people sometimes.

Me too. :/
    [i've just seen the previous comment] yes, definitely change your route.
    Do you have a local Park you can go to?
    I go to mine early in the morning, so hardly anyone around (certainly No Kids).
    It's Bliss.

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I have no idea whether this is a thing that actually happened or not, but it showed up on my FB feed today and it makes me giggle every time I read it.
    epwxx4z7nozz.jpg

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I get jeered at every time I cycle/run I'm trying not to let it get me down but it's so mean. I'm trying to do something about being a "fatty" so why do they feel the need to be horrible? Tonight it was "Pedal fat girl, pedal!" Other nights it's been "Fatty run...Earthquake!"

And you keep going anyway

Dude...you are freaking awesome!

You can't fix stupid I'm afraid although I would be tempted to face up to them I'd probably just continue to ignore and know that what you are doing is for you
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I can't believe people are being that mean. You are SO strong for being able to keep on going, despite all those remarks. You must've felt so self conscious during your run and cycle routine thanks to them :( To be honest, i think you're really brave. Running along busy roads is something I still can't bring myself to do, even though I'm only a size 4 and pretty fit.
    So sorry you're going through this, but you will get to your goal if you stay dedicated, and don't let the haters bring you down.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    some people are so horrible and thoughtless

0e5bbdd936d1066e162c7435cb8faf1c.jpg
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Agreed with much of what was said.

When I started couch to 5k, I was walking/jogging along road near my old apartments and overheard a guy tell his buddy who was picking him up "she must be looking for a vending machine." (note: i only use one earbud in order to keep awareness cause cars, bikes, etc.)

Then again, what helped was knowing I could deadlift the guy. And go pfft as if I didn't have my own candy. Guy thought he was clever and funny but really just a moron.

And to counter that, there are many others who admire people they see running and think they are pure awesome. So, don't let the stupid overshadow the true awesome you are doing.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    I have no idea whether this is a thing that actually happened or not, but it showed up on my FB feed today and it makes me giggle every time I read it.
    epwxx4z7nozz.jpg

I wish there were a "Like" button on here.