Getting jeered at whilst exercising

Options

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    As a native New Yorker (read: I'm used to that) I can tell you how to deal with this. You make this gesture:
    y7ywalto2czn.jpg

And yell "Vaffanculo!" At the top of your lungs. Then just keep on rocking on with your awesome self.
  • fishcat123
    fishcat123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that :( People who would yell rudely at someone exercising are awful, losers in the worst way. How pathetic does someones' life have to be to do that?!?

You're doing something healthy and positive, and you should feel great about that! Regardless, it's hard to hear that kind of negativity on a regular basis. As a fairly average sized lady who runs a lot, unfortunately it's not uncommon for guys in cars to yell weird, gross, things. I second the idea of changing routes, although I'm not sure about headphones - it can be a little dangerous if you can't hear bikers, cars, or people trying to pass by, depending on the location. Also, maybe try biking and running with a buddy? You might be less of a target for this kind of harassment (in my experience, this is true), and if it does happen, you can help each other brush it off.

Also, if you live in an area with trails or parks, maybe try there? Hikers and exercise walkers/runners are usually very supportive of each other in my experience, and there aren't cars for jerks to hide in and yell things.

Anyway, take care and don't let those losers stop you!
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear that is happening to you and I'm really surprised, maybe I am naive but I haven't heard of this happening before. May I ask what region or country you are in?
    Don't let anyone keep you from your goals, I don't understand people sometimes, it is horrible that they are saying things like that to you, is it teenagers?
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    They are small minded and *kitten*. The small minded and *kitten* don't deserve one moment of your time.

Every time I see some one biking or running outside I think 1 of 2 things. 1) hmm wish I was biking or running or 2) F it's really hot/cold, they are badass.

Keep doing your thing!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    This makes me sick. I hate people who are like this. They are obviously self conscious and have issues themselves. Try to ignore them. I always wear headphones in the gym and ignore everyone. Everyone has to start somewhere so it's disgusting people are making comments. Tell them to mind there own business.
  • Em_runs_away
    Em_runs_away Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Yes it's a group of teenagers who are always there, I'm in Wiltshire, England. It's generally a nice place to live but this is getting me down. I think I will try to change my route so I can avoid them, I would happily go further if I don't get shouted at.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I used to live/run in Queens, I would just crank up my headphones so I wouldn't hear the jeers/catcalls/etc... Let it make you stronger! You know you're beautiful :)
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Yes it's a group of teenagers who are always there, I'm in Wiltshire, England. It's generally a nice place to live but this is getting me down. I think I will try to change my route so I can avoid them, I would happily go further if I don't get shouted at.

Ahh it all makes sense now, the minute I saw your post it conjured up memories in my mind. I am sorry to any Brits I don't want to offend anyone but this is such a problem in some parts of the UK these days, it was like that where I was in Yorkshire before I left. I used to be uncomfortable just walking to the corner shop sometimes if I had to pass teens.

I would definitely try to change your route if you can to avoid them, you shouldn't have to, but nothing is going to stop them having their 'fun' at your expense and you deserve to exercise in peace.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    That reminds me of an incident years past, when my mother, who had given up the car, wasn't feeling very good, decided to cycle down to the doctor's office. She had an old green banana seat bicycle with high-rise handlebars. I think it had streamers too. As she motored past the high school, the kids called, "Go, grandma, go!". I like to think, kindly. It turns out mom was suffering from a bad combination of medications, and the doctor couldn't get a pulse! That resulted in a rushed admission to the hospital and a short stay in intensive care.

Imagine her trucking along on her bike in that condition.
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options

That sounds like the best option to me. You can't change arseholes but you can change your route. I don't recommend the headphones idea because that could cause you to miss something important like approaching traffic.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind, their goal is too keep you from losing weight, don't let them.
    The reason they do it is that your weight is something you can change, but the size of their **** is something they can't change.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It's only happened to me once that I know of (I usually run with headphones). They started running alongside me. I just laughed and chatted with them and they were out of breath and bored within minutes. If they are intimidating, and it's possible, I would avoid them. If not, smile and keep moving. They can't ruin your day if you don't let them.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I've had things thrown at me from cars, horns honked, things yelled, cars that swerve into my path....people suck. Hope you can find a more peaceful place to workout. Hey Karma....go get those idiot kids!!!
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Wow! That blows! I agree that a middle finger is in order. But chances are if you don't react, they'll stop. Asshats tend to have tiny attention spans. (To match other things that are tiny.) Wear visible headphones (not buds) and ignore them completely. Or you could take video- cowards hate that....
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I'd go with the headphones option. I always wear headphones when I go anywhere alone as I don't have to communicate with anyone if I don't want to. I find when I go out for a walk with my dog people generally don't speak to me as they think I'm listening to music whether I actually am or not. They'd look like idiots if they say anything when you're obviously not listening.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Gawd, people suck sometimes. I hope you find a way to deal with this. Do not give up. Do not let others dissuade you from what you want. I would reiterate the headphones and the running group advice. (Many running shoe stores have running groups, or know of them...of all levels.) Do NOT do the gesture thing. That can lead to trouble.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Adapt, so id go with the headphones or finding an alternate route. I'm not in favour of confrontation because people are unpredictable and what they want is a reaction. I also wouldnt waste time on letting it get to you.
  • mxmakm
    mxmakm Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    You are a much stronger person than I am. This happened to me once when I started the C25K. My biggest fear was that I was going to get made fun of but everyone assured me it wouldn't happen since it was a runner's track and people are only there for fitness. Well I was doing it at the track and I had a group of guys yelling at me for about 20 minutes calling me a whale, fatty, and all other kinds of fat-related names. I had earphones in but they were pretty loud so it was hard to ignore them. It hurt me so much I haven't ran in public since and I have vowed to never run in public again and this was 4.5 years ago and I still won't run. You continuing makes you such a strong person because I couldn't even handle that for a day. You shouldn't have to deal with that though and I would suggest switching locations, but just know, you are such a strong person.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    mochapygmy wrote: »
    They are small minded and *kitten*. The small minded and *kitten* don't deserve one moment of your time.

Every time I see some one biking or running outside I think 1 of 2 things. 1) hmm wish I was biking or running or 2) F it's really hot/cold, they are badass.

Keep doing your thing!

:) Yes me as well... I don't feel critical when I see ppl working out.. I'm in awe and inspired by it!
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    kids suck. lol. rest in the knowledge that they will likely be fat, loser adults. jokes on them. no one gets out alive.