Does turning vegan helps with weight loss

Options

Replies

• flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    haitham789 wrote: »
    Caloric deficit is always the key for a successful healthy weight loss plan. Thanks guys.

I believe you have answered your own question. Best of luck to you.

I have a friend who beats on me to join her vegan eating lifestyle, claiming it's the healthiest way to live. I stuck with my CICO omnivore plan and dropped 100 lbs. She went the "I can eat anything I want because it's vegan" and added 30 lbs in that same period.

Eat the way that makes you happy & healthy ... deficit is the key for weight loss.

• Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    BTW, awesome results, Crypto!

Thanks!

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I used to be vegetarian/pescetarian, but now I don't feel guilty eating meat since most of those animals would never have lived at all if people didn't farm them.

wrong and ignorant

You can call it ignorant, but it's factual.
  • Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I used to be vegetarian/pescetarian, but now I don't feel guilty eating meat since most of those animals would never have lived at all if people didn't farm them.

wrong and ignorant

Factual? Really?! You know what... I just don't care enough to explain to you why you are wrong!
  • stevencloser
    edited June 2015
    Options

wrong and ignorant

Factual? Really?! You know what... I just don't care enough to explain to you why you are wrong!

The species of cow we have today wouldn't exist if we didn't breed them to have the certain traits we liked to eat thousands of years back. That is fact.
    Same with any other animal we breed for food.

Pets are the same way.
  • Krystle1984
    Options

wrong and ignorant

The species of cow we have today wouldn't exist if we didn't breed them to have the certain traits we liked to eat thousands of years back. That is fact.

Pets are the same way.

Thousands of years back? I think you need to do some research into the history of farming animals and selective breeding. Selective breeding of farm animals didn't really take off until the 18th century. And it's only since WW2 that the meat market has exploded.

You've also missed the point. What kind of life do you or the original commenter think intensively farmed animals have? And using the fact that farming allows certain breeds a chance to live for a short while before slaughter to justify eating meat is ridiculous. Besides, if no one ate meat these animals could still live, just as nature intended and not in horrific conditions and only until they're worth more dead than alive... Cows, sheep etc would still exist, the breeds would just be different. They would be closer to their natural state, without the specific traits humans identified as desirable taking over.

Look at that. I guess I do care.

• veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

All I can say is . . . well . . . nothing. Just, lol.
  • veganbaum
    edited June 2015
    Options
    OP, you seem to realize a calorie deficit is needed to lose weight. Some people lose weight going vegan, especially if they are not a junk food vegan, simply because they create a deficit with what they eat.

Don't be scared away by the "it's sooooo hard to get adequate nutrition." Obviously, a good number of people on here care about their nutrition, regardless of whether they are veg*n or omnivore. But, the average Westerner doesn't seem too concerned with nutrition, so I find it funny some of those will often go on about the difficulty on a vegan diet.

So long as you eat a varied diet, and are somewhat mindful of what you're eating [as so many on here are, vegan or not], you should be fine. You can find resources and information online from many sources - including well-known vegan athletes, like Brendan Brazier, try veganbodybuilding.com [I think that's it], or just do a search. If individuals who do a high amount of physical activity, and compete, can get adequate nutrition, the average vegan can, too.

**I don't know why this last bit's italicized. I didn't mean to do that, so I'm not emphasizing it. Although, it could be emphasized.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I think turning vegan may ease the control required for calorie defecit because it's not like you will be invited to many dinner parties or restaurants ;)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The one thing I'd like to add to the discussion is to be mindful of your protein intake. Depending on which sources of information you go to in researching veganism, some downplay the importance of consuming protein.

You need protein. Especially when dieting. Both carbohydrates and protein are muscle sparing, and one of the things you need to worry about while losing weight is the loss of lean muscle mass. When you lose weight, you lose fat and muscle. You can minimize muscle loss by balancing your intake of macro nutrients and doing resistance training.

It's obvious that Cryptonomnomicon got his macro balance right, that's for sure.
  • stevencloser
    Options

wrong and ignorant

Pets are the same way.

Thousands of years back? I think you need to do some research into the history of farming animals and selective breeding. Selective breeding of farm animals didn't really take off until the 18th century. And it's only since WW2 that the meat market has exploded.

You've also missed the point. What kind of life do you or the original commenter think intensively farmed animals have? And using the fact that farming allows certain breeds a chance to live for a short while before slaughter to justify eating meat is ridiculous. Besides, if no one ate meat these animals could still live, just as nature intended and not in horrific conditions and only until they're worth more dead than alive... Cows, sheep etc would still exist, the breeds would just be different. They would be closer to their natural state, without the specific traits humans identified as desirable taking over.

Look at that. I guess I do care.

We started turning the wild aurochs into domesticated cows over 10000 years ago, but whatever.
    And it's still factual that our cows (and all other animals we keep for food or as pets) wouldn't exist if we hadn't started breeding them. You can like that fact or not, but it's a fact, and nothing Orphia said was wrong.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I think turning vegan may ease the control required for calorie deficit because it's not like you will be invited to many dinner parties or restaurants ;)

Actually even though this was a humorous response there is some truth to be gleaned from it. Since veganism is a restrictive diet, you will find your options for already prepared food limited to a degree. So if for instance your weight gain (calorie surplus) was highly contributed to by lets say takeaway food, you would be removing (to a degree) one of the contributing factors. For some the transition has helped because they have had to be more vigilant about what they eat and because of this they have become more aware of the amount they eat as well as the nutritional and caloric values of their food...still not a guarantee of weightloss though, still stand by my original response.

CICO!

• veganbaum
    Options
    The one thing I'd like to add to the discussion is to be mindful of your protein intake. Depending on which sources of information you go to in researching veganism, some downplay the importance of consuming protein.

You need protein. Especially when dieting. Both carbohydrates and protein are muscle sparing, and one of the things you need to worry about while losing weight is the loss of lean muscle mass. When you lose weight, you lose fat and muscle. You can minimize muscle loss by balancing your intake of macro nutrients and doing resistance training.

It's obvious that Cryptonomnomicon got his macro balance right, that's for sure.

I would agree with this to a certain extent, OP. Just don't be scared away by those who automatically think getting enough protein is nearly impossible on a vegan diet. It's not. Do a bit of research.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

wrong and ignorant

Pets are the same way.

Besides, if no one ate meat these animals could still live, just as nature intended and not in horrific conditions and only until they're worth more dead than alive... Cows, sheep etc would still exist, the breeds would just be different. They would be closer to their natural state, without the specific traits humans identified as desirable taking over.

Sadly, this isn't true. Nature never intended for the breeds we have today. You cannot reverse selective breeding so we'll never get the original breeds back. We also sadly live in a world where many animals aren't allowed to live if they aren't profitable, so if everyone became vegan those animals would just be culled, not set free to live in the wild - which would be a bad idea anyway as our natural habitats have adapted to life WITHOUT such animals. There would be huge overgrazing problems and our natural habitats wouldn't cope with such an influx of new species. Everyone being vegan would also be unsustainable. Animals live and graze on land which is unsuitable to grow crops on. There isn't enough usable land for everyone to just eat plant products.

But back to the original post. Like everyone said, OP, a vegan diet won't help you lose weight if you aren't in a calorie deficit. Go vegan if it suits your beliefs but you probably shouldn't do it for health, since it's no more healthy (or unhealthy, before I get jumped on) than an omnivore diet.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »

I would agree with this to a certain extent, OP. Just don't be scared away by those who automatically think getting enough protein is nearly impossible on a vegan diet. It's not. Do a bit of research.

Oh, totally agree. There are a lot of fabulous sources of vegan protein. Seitan, tempeh, tofu, hemp seeds, beans or lentils and rice, nuts and seeds....

A lot of vegetables have a nice dose of protein eaten in quantity too. Spinach comes to mind.

Just make sure to eat enough of them!

• veganbaum
    Options

wrong and ignorant

Pets are the same way.

Besides, if no one ate meat these animals could still live, just as nature intended and not in horrific conditions and only until they're worth more dead than alive... Cows, sheep etc would still exist, the breeds would just be different. They would be closer to their natural state, without the specific traits humans identified as desirable taking over.

Sadly, this isn't true. Nature never intended for the breeds we have today. You cannot reverse selective breeding so we'll never get the original breeds back. We also sadly live in a world where many animals aren't allowed to live if they aren't profitable, so if everyone became vegan those animals would just be culled, not set free to live in the wild - which would be a bad idea anyway as our natural habitats have adapted to life WITHOUT such animals. There would be huge overgrazing problems and our natural habitats wouldn't cope with such an influx of new species. Everyone being vegan would also be unsustainable. Animals live and graze on land which is unsuitable to grow crops on. There isn't enough usable land for everyone to just eat plant products.

But back to the original post. Like everyone said, OP, a vegan diet won't help you lose weight if you aren't in a calorie deficit. Go vegan if it suits your beliefs but you probably shouldn't do it for health, since it's no more healthy (or unhealthy, before I get jumped on) than an omnivore diet.

I don't want to contribute to the derailing of this thread, but in the U.S., the vast majority - nearly all - animals farmed for food do not graze as their primary source of food, if at all. They are factory farmed. I could get into more about how much water and grain is used to farm these animals in this method, which could otherwise be used to care for humans, but that would further derail this. I just wanted to correct the grazing statement, in reference to the U.S.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Nature never intended for the breeds we have today.
    I don't think "Nature" has an intent. But, to the extent it does, it shouldn't have made DNA work the way it does if it doesn't like the outcomes because we're part of "Nature," too.

Veganism would definitely help me lose weight. I'd be starving.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Options

wrong and ignorant

Pets are the same way.

I'm not getting drawn into a ethical debate about veganism (because it's never ending) but your response made me think of this...

https://youtu.be/FQMbXvn2RNI

• Krystle1984
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »

wrong and ignorant

Pets are the same way.

I don't want to contribute to the derailing of this thread, but in the U.S., the vast majority - nearly all - animals farmed for food do not graze as their primary source of food, if at all. They are factory farmed. I could get into more about how much water and grain is used to farm these animals in this method, which could otherwise be used to care for humans, but that would further derail this. I just wanted to correct the grazing statement, in reference to the U.S.

This is true of many countries, not just the US. Also, I know you can't reverse selective breeding, I was referring to how things could have been had selective breeding not taken place. But there are livestock breeds that could function in a wild environment, and this wouldn't happen overnight so I do believe it could be possible. The environment and animals would adapt as species have been doing for thousands of years. I live in the UK and our countryside is relatively well suited to free range livestock. It's a moot point really though as it will never happen!

Anyway, I was really just trying to reiterate that using the fact animals wouldn't exist as they do today without meat farming to justify giving up vegetarianism is just plain stupid. Eat what you want and if you have to make lame excuses for your choices then maybe re-evaluate them... As I don't want to take this off topic any more either I will leave it there! :)