CANT LOSE WEIGHT NEED HELP!!

Options
ANT98
ANT98 Posts: 137 Member
I'm 5'6",
18yrs old,
female,
exercise 5 days a week of 3x running and 4 days heavy lifting.
I eat 1600 calories(of quality whole food) (accurately counting) at about 40P/30F/30C.

In the past:
2yrs ago, went 4 months of undereating (800ish calories and 600 calorie burn workouts)
Then I heard you can have a cheat meal of how much of whatever you want, leading to a year of binge eating followed by strict dieting.
I no longer binge, but about 6 months ago, I joined the cross country running team and was in a swimming class eating 1800ish calories-lost all my muscle.
These past 4 months I started a program called body beast (5-6 days heavy lifting) eating below my tdee without any weight loss still. So I started to include 30 min of cardio 3 days. The last phase was considered a cut phase, I was eating 1600 and it's been 2 months without any weight loss still.

I don't want to be spinning my wheels, working my butt off and not be getting any results for the work I put in.

Should I lower calories further?
Should I maintain?
Should I reverse diet?

I will not give up, but I don't know how to lose weight anymore, please help!!!

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If you went four months eating below TDEE and didn't lose weight, you're wrong about your TDEE.

If you've gone two months eating at 1600 and haven't lost weight, you either need to eat less or talk to your doctor.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    First off, how accurate is your logging? Are you weighing everything with a food scale and using accurate entries within MFP? Are you eating all of your exercise calories (many people on MFP only eat back 50-75% because of MFP overestimating calories burned)?

I'm a similar age and height (I'm 15 pounds lighter), but my TDEE while sedentary is around 1700. If you're not accurately logging and/or grossly overestimated your TDEE, it's possible that you could be eating around your maintenance instead of at a deficit.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I would also maybe look and address stress. Cortisol can play a huge role in holding onto weight and based on your posting, you are putting your body through a lot of stress physically and emotionally (I get inferred this by your posting language). Might prove wonders to take a couple of days off and eat at perceived maintenance calories so you can include some "cheat" (not a big fan of that term cheat and notice I used the word some) foods. During that time, you could also dial the activity back to aid in Cortisol reduction and give your body a little breather to recover.
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Check out dietdoctor.com
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    You're 18 years old. Yu can do whatever you want to do. My recommendation: Stop overeating, and start walking three or four miles a day.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    abatonfan wrote: »
    First off, how accurate is your logging? Are you weighing everything with a food scale and using accurate entries within MFP? Are you eating all of your exercise calories (many people on MFP only eat back 50-75% because of MFP overestimating calories burned)?

I'm a similar age and height (I'm 15 pounds lighter), but my TDEE while sedentary is around 1700. If you're not accurately logging and/or grossly overestimated your TDEE, it's possible that you could be eating around your maintenance instead of at a deficit.

^this
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options

This this this.

If you are logging accurately, then go see a doctor. You could have a medical issue such as hypothyroid which is interfering with weight loss.
  • ANT98
    Options

So would you suggest eating around 1300-1400?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing, you're not in a deficit.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    alexxazt wrote: »

So would you suggest eating around 1300-1400?

What did MFP tell you to eat when you put in your height, weight, and activity level?

Do you eat back exercise calories?

And, once again, do you weigh everything using a food scale?
  • ANT98
    Options
    So would you suggest eating around 1300-1400?[/quote]

What did MFP tell you to eat when you put in your height, weight, and activity level?

Do you eat back exercise calories?

And, once again, do you weigh everything using a food scale?[/quote]

Would I put lightly active or active if I burn about 300-400 cals?
    At active: 1630 (1.5lbs) to 1880 (1lb)
    Lightly active; 1330 (1.5pbs) to 1580 (1lb)
    No I don't eat exercise cals back
    Yes
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    alexxazt wrote:

Yes

You only have 15 more pounds to lose, and you're already at a healthy BMI. If you're shooting for a 1.5lb (or even a 1lb) loss, then you really should consider choosing a less aggressive goal.

I forget the exact numbers, but a few of the senior MFP members often suggest these guidelines when choosing goals. The general gist is that those who have more weight to lose can initially lose weight at a more rapid pace compared to someone who is already light and looking to lose a little bit of weight.
    • Less than 20 pounds to lose ... Set a goal of 0.5lbs a week or less
    • 20-50 pounds ... 1.0lbs a week or less
    • 50-75 pounds ... 1.5lbs a week or less
    • 75+ pounds ... 2.0lbs a week or less

• ANT98
    Options
    alexxazt wrote:

Yes

You only have 15 more pounds to lose, and you're already at a healthy BMI. If you're shooting for a 1.5lb (or even a 1lb) loss, then you really should consider choosing a less aggressive goal.

I forget the exact numbers, but a few of the senior MFP members often suggest these guidelines when choosing goals. The general gist is that those who have more weight to lose can initially lose weight at a more rapid pace compared to someone who is already light and looking to lose a little bit of weight.
    • Less than 20 pounds to lose ... Set a goal of 0.5lbs a week or less
    • 20-50 pounds ... 1.0lbs a week or less
    • 50-75 pounds ... 1.5lbs a week or less
    • 75+ pounds ... 2.0lbs a week or less

That is a helpful guideline! So would that just be 250-300 under maintanance? And if I workout 4-5x a week burning roughly 300 calories, but am otherwise sedentary (I'm a student) should I choose lightly active or moderatly active?
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    can you open your diary?
  • ANT98
    Options
    How do I do that?
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    go to

Food>>>settings
    on the bottom you can select "set to public"
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    2yrs ago, went 4 months of undereating (800ish calories and 600 calorie burn workouts)

I'm gonna stop you right there and officially call Shenanigans.

You most certainly did NOT net 200 calories a day and not lose weight, right?

This game is not possible to win if you're not honest, mmm-kay.

• ANT98
    Options

I'm gonna stop you right there and officially call Shenanigans.

You most certainly did NOT net 200 calories a day and not lose weight, right?

This game is not possible to win if you're not honest, mmm-kay.

That's when I was first introduced to nutrition, in health class in which they showed anorexic girls and I wanted to get close to anorexic so I could focus on building muscle after. I'm pretty sure I miss calculated back then, but I had gone down 5lbs in 3 day intervals, but just a general idea of how I was exercising for hours and eating nothing.
  • ANT98
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    I'm 5'6",
    18yrs old,
    female,
    exercise 5 days a week of 3x running and 4 days heavy lifting.
    I eat 1600 calories(of quality whole food) (accurately counting) at about 40P/30F/30C.

In the past:
    Then I heard you can have a cheat meal of how much of whatever you want, leading to a year of binge eating followed by strict dieting.
    I no longer binge, but about 6 months ago, I joined the cross country running team and was in a swimming class eating 1800ish calories-lost all my muscle.
    These past 4 months I started a program called body beast (5-6 days heavy lifting) eating below my tdee without any weight loss still. So I started to include 30 min of cardio 3 days. The last phase was considered a cut phase, I was eating 1600 and it's been 2 months without any weight loss still.

I don't want to be spinning my wheels, working my butt off and not be getting any results for the work I put in.

Should I lower calories further?
    Should I maintain?
    Should I reverse diet?

I will not give up, but I don't know how to lose weight anymore, please help!!!

YOu have ot make sure you're not losing. The scale weight is only part of it, are you losing inches, how are you looking in the mirror, are clothes fitting loser? If by reevaluating you're still not losing weight. Your calories aren't too extreme, so I would suspect you're eating too much. Weight loss is about a calorie deficit. I would reduce calories by 10% for you that's about 200 calories(160)

So it looks like it's best for me to just try to eat less?
  • ANT98
    Options
    go to

Food>>>settings
    on the bottom you can select "set to public"

And so you guys know, I didn't log exercises and some days I ate 1700 if I did burn like 600 calories in workout or did leg day+cardio (supposedly still under maintanance) and the months prior were when I was doing the 1800 calories for that lifting program