Beer! I love it, but it dosnt help the weight loss.

Options
I like to drink. I watch what I eat but get a lot of calories from my liquid diet. Anyone have any advice besides to grow up and stop drinking

Replies

• thegenealogists
    thegenealogists Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am not a big drinker, but casual on the weekends if I'm going out with friends. I plan my drinks into my calorie consumption. So, I suggest you plan your beer into your daily calorie consumption and maybe cut back. Good luck!!
  • LarsEnnerberg
    LarsEnnerberg Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    So... If I don't eat?
  • tdatsenko
    tdatsenko Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Just fit it into your diet. As long as you're under your calorie goal for the day/week, I see no problem with enjoying a beer or three.
  • LarsEnnerberg
    Options
    Lol
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I was drinking 1-2 beers a day when I started. Now I'm drinking maybe one a month, if that. I had to cut back and it was difficult. At first I cut back to having 2 a week with my cheat meal, the one a week, then one a month. You could probably drink more than that if you wanted, but once I cut back to the once a week range I didn't care much for drinking anymore.
  • LarsEnnerberg
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    One can of beer has about 150-200 calories depending on brand. So, even daily a beer after dinner is perfectly doable. Getting drunk on beer every evening will indeed require a lot of calories, but just enjoying a beer, it is very realistic even while losing weight.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I don't drink beer, but I did drink sweet tea (from the South)...so pretty much same thing, just not as calorically dense as alcohol. Just typically a lot of calories consumed that must be accounted for and decisions made on whether those "less filling" calories are worth it to you as you still have to balance the calories in vs calories out equation. For me, when I stopped drinking sweet tea, it seems like I dropped 30lbs or so within a very short time (must have been drinking a lot of sweet tea :D )
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I drank all the way down and I still drink nearly every day. For lunch I will probably have a 24oz can of beer. But, I already burned 1200 calories of exercise this morning. All about balance.
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Yeaaaaahhh... I hate to say it but unless you can stop at a couple beers, it's hard to fit in session drinking and still be under calories. I have one really good beer and then switch to hard liquor.
  • rosesandhello
    rosesandhello Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I loooveee beer. :D I've tried to have more beer-free days, and on other days, try to fit it into my calories by getting a good workout session in. I also try to stop at about 3 drinks, and not go over that.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I love beer too but I had to choose which was more important to me: drinking or losing weight and getting fit.

Now I only have like one beer a week.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You can drink. You can't drink a lot though. Those calories add up like crazy. Every weekend try to drink a little less. Anyway, I find that once the weight started falling off I would look at alcohol like it was getting in the way. I learned how to sip on a glass of wine for quite a long time.

• LarsEnnerberg
    Options
    Wow! Thank you thank you thank you! All great advice. You guys are awesome. I appreciate the support and the camaraderie! I get the gist and I feel that I will have to make choices. Painful painful choices....lol.
  • robin388
    robin388 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm a beer consumer myself. Love the porters and stouts. Now I only have those once in a great while. I have switched to lighter beers (miller 64, not ideal I understand) just to help cut back those heavy calories. Especially because I never can have just 1 or 2. I have like 4 or 5 in a night. (6-9 if we are out or watching sports) The next day I fill my day with oatmeal and salads, plus I tend to hike a lot in the warmer seasons. This helps since I don't hit the gym. The last 10#'s have been tuff so it might be time to consider another exercise.

Good luck!!
  • GeorgeL583
    GeorgeL583 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Just work-out like a mofo, and keep the cals. in check
  • cflynn99
    cflynn99 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Amstel Light is a tasty light beer, at only 95 calories I find a can fit a few into my weekly calorie intake. Sucks to have to make these hard choices. I love a good beer, or 3.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    One can of beer has about 150-200 calories depending on brand. So, even daily a beer after dinner is perfectly doable. Getting drunk on beer every evening will indeed require a lot of calories, but just enjoying a beer, it is very realistic even while losing weight.
    That's nice but, if OP is anything like me, there's not even half a buzz until ~1L of beer... That makes for more than 150-200 calories.

Honestly, when I'm in a deficit, I switch to hard liquor. Cheap brandy mixes with practically any diet fruity- or cola-type drink and has between 1/2 and 2/3 of the calories beer does (for the same amount of alcohol).
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It's like anything else when you're losing weight (or maintaining, for that matter): you have to balance your budget with your wants. I fit in a craft brew every night, and tbh I workout more to earn it. This is something I look forward to every night.

Lat night was a pint of Surly Overrated. Tonight I'm thinking about that bottle of Bell's Uranus that I've been holding on to; about 300 kcal per 12 oz bottle:
    A6DLHH2.png?1