eating healthier while poor.

Options

Replies

• StephanieMoon6
    StephanieMoon6 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes and bulk peanut butter is a lunch I have most days right before my workout (they have those machines in the grocery store where you do it yourself and it's normally about $2 a pound for that!)

Otherwise I eat lots of chicken, rice and bags of frozen veggies! I buy the bags of frozen bulk chicken to cut down on cost and bulk of the other two as well. Breakfasts cost a little more because I do a quality bacon, eggs, and sweet potato, but if I went with regular bacon it wouldn't be super expensive either. Eggs and potatoes are cheap! :) It sounds like we eat pretty similarly, I'm not sure you can cut it down much more in cost and not go to eating garbage like Top Ramen noodles and Rice A Roni.

I use allrecipes.com for most of my recipe hunting, otherwise I just get creative with spices. I have an Asian blend, a BBQ chicken blend, or I sprinkle garlic powder/onion powder/pepper/paprika on the chicken. (Have you tried paprika on chicken? It is divine!)

Thank you!
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    You can buy supermarket own brands which are just as good and downshift cleaning products using vinegar and lemon instead. If you live in a flat you can grow "Cut and come again salads" (cress, mustard, komatsuma, mizuna, sorrel, red veined spinach, etc.) and strawberries in pots or large containers and if you have a garden you can plant fruit bushes or dwarf trees. I grow some veggies and fruits in my tiny garden that are relatively easy to grow and I'm saving lots of money.

• mmnv79
    Options
    You can buy supermarket own brands which are just as good and downshift cleaning products using vinegar and lemon instead. If you live in a flat you can grow "Cut and come again salads" (cress, mustard, komatsuma, mizuna, sorrel, red veined spinach, etc.) and strawberries in pots or large containers and if you have a garden you can plant fruit bushes or dwarf trees. I grow some veggies and fruits in my tiny garden that are relatively easy to grow and I'm saving lots of money.

• daaaaaanielle
    daaaaaanielle Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My opinion is no pasta, or bread. Lose the processed food carbs. Weight will melt off.

I eat a whooooole bunch of pasta and I've been losing, on average, about 1.2lbs a week (I only aim for 0.5-1lb). Certainly pasta is more calorie dense so it's easy to go over if you're not careful when you log it and so on, but it's not the fault of the pasta if someone isn't losing weight.

Anyway, back on topic.

Buy in bulk! That is, by far, the biggest factor for me in reducing what I spend on food. I make sure that what I'm buying in bulk can form a meal in and of itself or in combination with other bulk-bought items - rice and chicken, pasta and sauce, frozen veg, etc. Not the most interesting of meals ever for sure, but they do me fine when money is a bit short.

The second biggest factor does somewhat tie into the first - seasoning. Buy different herbs, spices, salts and sauces (though be mindful of calories in sauces) because they make "boring" meals significantly less boring. I have seasonings that are versatile enough that I could make the same meal of rice and chicken 5 days a week and each time it would taste different. Likewise, I have a whole bunch of pasta sauces stocked up (got them when they were on sale in Costco and I top up when they're on sale in my local supermarket) so again, I can make pasta but make it different every time.

Couponing can be tiresome and difficult depending on where you live and what you have around you. I'm in the UK and couponing isn't really a thing here - or at least not enough to warrant a TV show - but I do keep an eye on sales and whenever I'm setting up my delivery from the supermarket, I always do a search around to see if there's any coupons.
  • mmnv79
    edited June 2015
    Options

Edit: Not that I'm cheap but my company went down and I was unemployed for few months. :smile:
  • StephanieMoon6
    Options
    buy chicken breast in bulk when on sale and freeze it, same for tilapia and other whitefish as it tends to be very cheap. canned tuna and chicken are other good cheap protein sources. I also do the bulk peanut butter and am able to get FRESH, organic, no ANYTHING added PB for half the price off crappy PB. Nonfat cottage cheese and nonfat plain greek yogurt when on sale. i buy eggs for less than $6 for 4 dozen at costco and liquid egg whites for about $7 a case. proteins and meats are the most expensive so fill up with as MUCH seasonal veggies and fruit as you can! frozen vegetables are a staple in our house too. "Healthy" is not expensive. processed is much more expensive, you just have to put a little more time into prepping food:)

A Costco membership is expensive, so check that privilege. Also, organic is subjective is it not? I buy store brand PB and its cheap. But when I have the $, I might do the Costco. Thanks.
  • StephanieMoon6
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I'll also say...and I mean this with all kindness, when you were a smoker you found a way to afford the cigarettes no matter your budget. Use that same resolve when figuring out how to afford healthy foods.

Honestly, that's how I afford the occasional protein shake and other stuff. It has saved me some money. Husband still smokes but he's cutting back too!
  • StephanieMoon6
    Options
    mmnv79 wrote: »

Virtually almost everything I buy is store brand. And yes, my dream is to have a garden, but alas $ and space are factors.
  • StephanieMoon6
    Options
    Beans and lentils are great for nutrition and diabetes....And very cheap.....buy canned black beans.....drain them...mash them up...add cumin, onions and put into whole wheat tortilla for fast and healthy burrito.....add frozen or canned corn, tomatoes, spinach for more health.....cheap...easy...tasty.....in general its much cheaper to get your protein from beans than from meat....and beans help stabilize blood sugar and keep you full longer

I usually do all this cause I'm xicana lol. Except i call it a taco, not burrito. You're right, tho. Beans and legumes go a long way. My mami makes amazing lentils or lentejas as we call them.
  • mmnv79
    Options
    Silly question but, can you cross the border to go shopping? In Northern Ireland lots for people to cross the border to buy cheaper petrol and diesel, as well as food, clothes, etc. in Ireland.
  • StephanieMoon6
    Options
    To maximise the nutrition from your limited budget avoid buying big brands, buy in bulk, buy frozen, by dry beans and pulses rather than canned - a bit of soaking before cooking cuts the cooking time - and bake your own bread. Good quality bread becomes a meal when added to soups and meagre stews. Boost protein levels by adding mushrooms and beans to meat dishes.

Mushrooms!! Yes. Thank u. It's an easy addition, need to check prices. I don't think they're too pricey tho.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    My opinion is no pasta, or bread. Lose the processed food carbs. Weight will melt off.

Not necessary. Weight will melt off with a calorie deficit, simple as that.
    Calories are calories, whether they are coming from vegetables, bread, or ice cream.

SHE HAS PCOS.

Eating lower carb is not optional in her case.
  • mmnv79
    Options
    Silly question but, can you cross the border to go shopping? In Northern Ireland lots for people to cross the border to buy cheaper petrol and diesel, as well as food, clothes, etc. in the Republic of Ireland.
  • StephanieMoon6
    Options
    buy chicken breast in bulk when on sale and freeze it, same for tilapia and other whitefish as it tends to be very cheap. canned tuna and chicken are other good cheap protein sources. I also do the bulk peanut butter and am able to get FRESH, organic, no ANYTHING added PB for half the price off crappy PB. Nonfat cottage cheese and nonfat plain greek yogurt when on sale. i buy eggs for less than $6 for 4 dozen at costco and liquid egg whites for about $7 a case. proteins and meats are the most expensive so fill up with as MUCH seasonal veggies and fruit as you can! frozen vegetables are a staple in our house too. "Healthy" is not expensive. processed is much more expensive, you just have to put a little more time into prepping food:)

A cost

Calories are calories, whether they are coming from vegetables, bread, or ice cream.

SHE HAS PCOS.

Thank you. I have to eat some carbs, but I gotta keep em low. I aim for 50-55 carbs per meal.
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you've seen this cookbook before.

It was made by a nutritionist to help people who receive SNAP (supplemental nutrition assistance program, formerly known as food stamps in the US) stretch their food budget while maximizing nutrient density.

https://8b862ca0073972f0472b704e2c0c21d0480f50d3.googledrive.com/host/0Bxd6wdCBD_2tdUdtM0d4WTJmclU/good-and-cheap.pdf

Also putting in a third vote for Budget Bytes, though her prices are FAR lower than where I live. The principles she uses include using small amounts of higher priced but very flavorful items and managing portion sizes to be reasonable.

And I spend a lot less when I eat vegetarian/vegan than when I eat meat. Plus it's more fiber and therefore more filling.

Especially during the summer, I like to go to farmers' markets near the end of the day and ask if they have "seconds" which are "less than perfect" fruits and veggies... maybe a blemish or a bruise. I've gotten some great scores for immediate consumption and freezing that way.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Beans and lentils are great for nutrition and diabetes....And very cheap.....buy canned black beans.....drain them...mash them up...add cumin, onions and put into whole wheat tortilla for fast and healthy burrito.....add frozen or canned corn, tomatoes, spinach for more health.....cheap...easy...tasty.....in general its much cheaper to get your protein from beans than from meat....and beans help stabilize blood sugar and keep you full longer

I usually do all this cause I'm xicana lol. Except i call it a taco, not burrito. You're right, tho. Beans and legumes go a long way. My mami makes amazing lentils or lentejas as we call them.

Moros y cristianos? Love those, but I really can't have the white rice. Even legumes are something that you have to portion very carefully due to carbs.

There are many things on your list that you probably need to edit out or eat very rarely--cereal, bananas, pasta, and bread are among those. I would suggest adding more non-starchy veggies to your list of common foods (lettuce, cabbage, kale, green beans, spinach, etc.) and experimenting with less expensive sources of animal protein, like chicken and turkey.

Do you have Grocery Outlet or another similar store near you? I always go to overstock stores like this first and then pick up the rest of my list at traditional grocery stores. You can get some AMAZING deals, especially on things like meat, cheese, dairy and oil. Trader Joe's/Aldi's can also be a cost saver.

Eating seasonally, freezing, canning and growing some of your own food are more ways to eat well without spending a lot of money. I have a community garden plot which provides a significant amount of my food year round. I also do u-pick in the summer (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, cherries, etc.) and freeze produce for the rest of the year. Bonus: extra exercise and it's a fun activity for kids. You might look into CSAs as well--the price varies, but sometimes you can get very good deals. Gleener groups are another thing to look for--I belong to one where you get to keep half of what you pick (free) and the other half gets donated to the local food bank.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

SHE HAS PCOS.

I'm aware; I read her OP. My comment was more in general. I did forget the context of this post, though, when making it. So my bad.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    hey OP props on quitting smoking

what you listed already sounds pretty good. the suggestion to add mushrooms and beans was a good one too

don't listen to this person
  • ChiffonLaRue14
    ChiffonLaRue14 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    So agree with the buying fish and chicken in bulk!!!! I do invest in a good set of spices that will help zest up the meals. Frozen veggies are well and good if you can tolerate them not being fresh. Congrats btw on quitting smoking. I used to smoke for 27 years, it truly was worth getting rid of that terrible habit. :)
  • StephanieMoon6
    Options
    Not sure if you've seen this cookbook before.

It was made by a nutritionist to help people who receive SNAP (supplemental nutrition assistance program, formerly known as food stamps in the US) stretch their food budget while maximizing nutrient density.

https://8b862ca0073972f0472b704e2c0c21d0480f50d3.googledrive.com/host/0Bxd6wdCBD_2tdUdtM0d4WTJmclU/good-and-cheap.pdf

Also putting in a third vote for Budget Bytes, though her prices are FAR lower than where I live. The principles she uses include using small amounts of higher priced but very flavorful items and managing portion sizes to be reasonable.

And I spend a lot less when I eat vegetarian/vegan than when I eat meat. Plus it's more fiber and therefore more filling.

Especially during the summer, I like to go to farmers' markets near the end of the day and ask if they have "seconds" which are "less than perfect" fruits and veggies... maybe a blemish or a bruise. I've gotten some great scores for immediate consumption and freezing that way.

Thank u. I just discovered a farmers market and co-op garden, so I'm hitting those up too.