eating healthier while poor.

Options
13»

Replies

• StephanieMoon6
    StephanieMoon6 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    So agree with the buying fish and chicken in bulk!!!! I do invest in a good set of spices that will help zest up the meals. Frozen veggies are well and good if you can tolerate them not being fresh. Congrats btw on quitting smoking. I used to smoke for 27 years, it truly was worth getting rid of that terrible habit. :)

What spices? And yes, fuxk cigarettes!
  • StephanieMoon6
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    hey OP props on quitting smoking

what you listed already sounds pretty good. the suggestion to add mushrooms and beans was a good one too

My opinion is no pasta, or bread. Lose the processed food carbs. Weight will melt off.

don't listen to this person

Thank you!!
  • StephanieMoon6
    Options
    Hey y'all. Thanks a lot for ue suggestions, articles, links, etc. It is gonna help me greatly.
  • StephanieMoon6
    Options
    Also please feel free to send me a friend request on here or follow my IG: fronterafeminist. I'll be posting meals workout stuff on there soon. :) I'm looking to make friend with all people that are on health journeys, esp people and women of color, gay/queer folk, and/or poor folks, and those with PCOS and or diabetes.
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Basically, this is what I eat: eggs, spinach, cheese, ground beef, fruits like mangoes grapes strawberries bananas, cereal, protein (I bought it when I had extra money), oatmeal, chicken breasts, potatoes (sometimes, cause low carb), whole wheat bread and pasta, beans of all kinds, rice. And a lot of avocado which I love but I can't really afford it all the time.

Everything that you use ground beef for, use ground turkey instead. It's half the price and half the calories.

One of your best investments would be a food scale if you don't have one. You can find them for $15 and they are essential to tracking your intake accurately.
  • StephanieMoon6
    Options
    PopeyeCT wrote: »
    Basically, this is what I eat: eggs, spinach, cheese, ground beef, fruits like mangoes grapes strawberries bananas, cereal, protein (I bought it when I had extra money), oatmeal, chicken breasts, potatoes (sometimes, cause low carb), whole wheat bread and pasta, beans of all kinds, rice. And a lot of avocado which I love but I can't really afford it all the time.

Everything that you use ground beef for, use ground turkey instead. It's half the price and half the calories.

One of your best investments would be a food scale if you don't have one. You can find them for $15 and they are essential to tracking your intake accurately.

Thank u, I'll look into a food scale.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Here's a tip I picked up from my ex. Watch the meat section for sales on things that have reached the "best before" or expiry date, usually they'll go on sale on the date actually marked. They're still good, and you can freeze them for later. You can get a nice piece of filet mignon, or a beautiful roast (which will feed everyone) for like 40-70% off that way.