Crazy, but I want to know how to shrink muscle?

Options
13»

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    To the OP -- I have a few things to say here but please understand that my intent is to help.

First of all I think your best means of creating the look you want is to lose bodyfat. To be clear I think you look great, but this isn't about my opinion of your body. I do think you look above 19% and given the goal that you have (looking more "lean" or "tone") dropping bodyfat further would be the next step.

If you are convinced that the issue is muscle size and not fat mass, then I would cease training whatever muscles you want to atrophy. So rather than trying to alter rep ranges/programming, I would simply stop lifting with whatever muscles you're trying to shrink. That's going to be the most effective/rapid way of accomplishing this.

And I'm only providing that info in case you decide to go that route. I think it's a mistake, but I say that because I don't think it's muscle size contributing to your perception of the issue.

If/When you decide to return to training those muscle groups, I would bring total volume down and keep that quite low.

I was trying to think of the best way to word this. Very nice.
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options
    Zoey2120 wrote: »
    pugyciew6x2w.jpg

See my arms, I don't want that.

Would exchange places with dog.

I mean, you do you, but if you reduce muscle you'll be reducing your LBM and therefore the amount of food you can eat at maintenance.

Muscles atrophy from disuse, so stop using them. Problem solved.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    The best way to cause muscle atrophy is NOT to use that muscle at all for a long extended period of time. That doesn't always translate to the desired look that somebody wants though.
    Reduce you upper body exercise and use less resistance when you do. Then reassess a month later.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I'm going with this
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I have to admit that I am scratching my head about
    blue736 wrote: »
    Less strength training, lower your weight a little - maybe even do body weight for awhile? lower your protein intake a little if you previously were on high protein and up your cardio.
    Maybe go back to beginner work outs until you hit your goal. :)

Wrong info.. U can drop your water and fat weight threw yr diet. U still need yr protein fats lower yr carbs.. An up yr rep range. Use medium heavy weight not to light so u can perform 12/16 reps. On yr last set drop the weight an rep to failure u will see the difference. High reps light weights is not a myth... But try to understand don't go to light needs to be moderate so u feel u had a good busted work out..

Isn't this the formula for hypertrophy? Medium weight and more reps?

Yeah I'm with you, pretty sure that's the opposite of what she's looking for lol.
  • Zoey2120
    Zoey2120 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    To the OP -- I have a few things to say here but please understand that my intent is to help.

First of all I think your best means of creating the look you want is to lose bodyfat. To be clear I think you look great, but this isn't about my opinion of your body. I do think you look above 19% and given the goal that you have (looking more "lean" or "tone") dropping bodyfat further would be the next step.

If you are convinced that the issue is muscle size and not fat mass, then I would cease training whatever muscles you want to atrophy. So rather than trying to alter rep ranges/programming, I would simply stop lifting with whatever muscles you're trying to shrink. That's going to be the most effective/rapid way of accomplishing this.

And I'm only providing that info in case you decide to go that route. I think it's a mistake, but I say that because I don't think it's muscle size contributing to your perception of the issue.

If/When you decide to return to training those muscle groups, I would bring total volume down and keep that quite low.

I'll check my body fat again. But a couple months ago it was at 19%. I'm starting to do more HIIT in my routine & I know that can help with body fat.
  • Zoey2120
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Since you put muscle on easily, I assume you lift. What is your routine?

I lift 6 days a week focusing on a different muscle group each day Monday I do back, Tuesday chest & triceps, Wednesday legs focusing on glutes & quads, Thursday shoulders & biceps, Friday abs, Saturday legs again focusing on hamstrings. I do 20 mins on the elliptical to warm up & then after my workout I either do sprints on the treadmill or walk on the highest incline for 20 mins.
  • Zoey2120
    Options
    NextPage wrote: »
    While I think you should try to reach the "look" you want for yourself, looking at your picture, if I ran into you at a coffee shop I would be thinking "I wonder what she does to carve out that fine work of art of a body". I would even be tempted to ask but, like most, people would never have the nerve. Just thought I would tell you that this is what the majority of women would also think- the looks you get are ones of awe and admiration.

Thank you very much :)

• amwood1528
    amwood1528 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Cardio/strength training. For example, insanity. Stop lifting!!!!!! Lol
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    amwood1528 wrote: »
    Cardio/strength training. For example, insanity. Stop lifting!!!!!! Lol

wat?
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Fujiberry wrote: »
    Unless you're an experienced figure/physique competitor, then your bulk is likely just body fat. How big/small you look will always depend on your intake. You can train for hypertrophy/strength/endurance with different rep ranges obviously, but you'll always lose size at a deficit no matter what rep range you do.

what?

so people that are not body builder who bulk put on all fat????
    No, but a lot of people (or at least the type of people who post in MFP forums) THINK that they 'put on muscle easily' and that 'lifting made me bulky' when most of the bulk comes from fat.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it is time to cut down a lot on the lifting? 6 days a week lifting heavy and wanting to reduce muscle volume, these sound like not very compatible things. Maybe just reduce a lot your strenght training and see it as an opportunity to focus on some other form of exercise for a few months to see how it goes?