Experiences with Plantar Fasciitis from working out?

Options
lbride
lbride Posts: 248 Member
So this may be just my old age (humor me!); but I have not worked out in quite a while and this week started doing Ripped in 30, which has, relatively speaking, little high impact cardio (I don't do high impact cardio b/c of pressure on my leg veins).

But now - my heels are hurting quite a bit, especially after waking up in the morning. Dr. Google tells me could be plantar faciitis? Anyone have experience with this from working out? Maybe my poor bones are just not as great as they were before? My shoes are good; I got to thinking that maybe it's the basement floor (concrete beneath the carpet and very minimal padding). Of course, I've worked out in my basement a thousand times in the past and experienced nothing.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• ErinNic612
    ErinNic612 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've had it before and what really helps me when it flares up is wearing shoes with good arch support all the time (even when just walking around the house, no bare feet), flexing/stretching my feet before getting out of bed, and taping. If you just google plantar facitis taping there are great 'how to' videos and instructions. It makes a world of difference for me! I've also heard that massaging your arches with a frozen water bottle or tennis ball helps too.
  • michaelgkucsma
    michaelgkucsma Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    lbride wrote: »
    So this may be just my old age (humor me!); but I have not worked out in quite a while and this week started doing Ripped in 30, which has, relatively speaking, little high impact cardio (I don't do high impact cardio b/c of pressure on my leg veins).

But now - my heels are hurting quite a bit, especially after waking up in the morning. Dr. Google tells me could be plantar faciitis? Anyone have experience with this from working out? Maybe my poor bones are just not as great as they were before? My shoes are good; I got to thinking that maybe it's the basement floor (concrete beneath the carpet and very minimal padding). Of course, I've worked out in my basement a thousand times in the past and experienced nothing.

Any thoughts?

• michaelgkucsma
    michaelgkucsma Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Go to zappos.com. look at Hoka Mafate. Add medium (blue superfeet).
  • rlemieux736
    rlemieux736 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Any calf stretch will stretch the bottom of your foot....i.e. the tendons that are inflamed. Put your foot at a 45 deg angle against wall, heel on floor, lean towards the wall. Or ball of foot on stair edge then drop your heel below the stair edge. It's those tendons that are the problem that you have to strengthen and elongate. You probably have a bone spur in the bottom of your heel that they are plucking against and getting irritated. I had it.
  • emmoen
    emmoen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Fill 20oz bottle with water and freeze and at the end of the day roll your foot over it. It massages the tendons and the ice will help with inflammation
  • NotAbbieNormal
    NotAbbieNormal Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I suffered with Plantar Fasciitis for many years, buying special shoes, inserts, custom orthotics, trying frozen water bottles, stretches/exercises and etc. The thing that wound up being a permanent fix though, was a $30 night splint that I wore every night for about a month. That was 2 years ago, and I have not had a problem with it since then. There are many types available. The one I used was this one: http://www.amazon.com/Darco-Body-Armor-Night-Splint/dp/B003WYN5L2/ref=sr_1_55?ie=UTF8&qid=1433686768&sr=8-55&keywords=plantar+fasciitis+boot
  • lbride
    lbride Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the info. I just bought that night split from amazon and will look into the extra arch support. (Also, after googling a bit more -- noticed that some complained about getting this after wearing ballet flats - It's finally nice where I am and have started to wear ballet flats, sandals, last couple weeks, so coupled with the working out - I guess that could have done it).
  • NotAbbieNormal
    NotAbbieNormal Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    The thing that wound up being a permanent fix though, was a $30 night splint that I wore every night for about a month.

This for me too. Night splint fixed it. I got mine at Walgreens for I think $30. I think it was an ACE.
  • dscampbell1979
    dscampbell1979 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yoga! But in particular downward facing dog, standing forward bend (legs together and wide legged), and seated forward bend (with one straight and the other bent) or sage twist. Check yoga sites for proper form and really get your tail bone up for a good stretch. You should get relief right away.