adipex - diet pill

Options

Replies

• TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I remember sleepless nights and not being able to eat also when I was on that pill, ugh! Once again I am still fighting my blood pressure after 4 years of being off it, as soon as I think my bp has stabilized some how it yoyo's all over again. But I can tell you those reasons are one of many why I gained my weight back and fast too! I couldn't catch up with my body going back into normal mode from being in speed mode for months, run away from all diet pills as quick as you can!
  • prettyleelee
    prettyleelee Posts: 236 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    There is so much misinformation in this thread that I can't address it all. I know that everyone here on adipex thinks that they have the answers because their doctors prescribed them the pills. It has become evident that none of you really understands what a calorie is and how our bodies use calories. @prettyleelee @tflyswagg @jdingus728 @Peachiko87 please read this link: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

If you are all still hell-bent on taking your pills (which I have taken in the past and trust me when I say I wish I had never put my body through that and I will never do it again), at least you'll have a bit more of an understanding on how all of this works so maybe you won't be totally screwed when you come off the meds.

Good luck to all of you.

Thank you for the judgment. I have read that post and plenty more after that. These pills are meant to be a helping hand not a get out of jail free card. If you do not learn to change your lifestyle you will go back into the original state that you came in. Everything that I am doing I am doing it with my regular physician right next to me not a health clinic doctor so I am sure she knows exactly what she is talking about when she sits down with me and we talk about calories and exercise.

You read judgment in my post where there was none. There is no shame in not understanding something. The problem comes when someone who has no understanding tries to give advice to others as if they understand.

You should understand that physicians in general have pretty much no understanding of nutrition. You said earlier that your doctor told you that 1200 "sounds like a good number" - did they explain why it sounded like a good number? I'd guess not, because your doctor really has no idea.

I truly hope that you "learn to change your lifestyle" as you mentioned in your reply. You seem to just be getting started with all of this, so I just think it's funny that you presume to know more than I do.

Your reply was full of judgment's and presumptions. You presume because I am on a pill my doctor magically gave me that I know nothing about calories or food intake. I do not know these other people however I can tell you that I have read a million and one articles on calorie inputs and out puts. So you assume I know nothing about them and neither does my doctor however she did earn a degree in nutrition medicine as well. She did say 1200 was right after the discussion we had on what my plans were for my weight loss and exercise.

Another presumption that you are making is I am just getting started nice but not true. I actually started over a year ago and ended up losing weight by running and calorie counts and was able to maintain it for a year. So I think it is funny that you made yet another assumption that I knew nothing when in reality I know quite a bit. You may know more than me I don't mind that however maybe you should watch your assumptions next time you want to reply to a subject you automaticly disagree with.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    There is so much misinformation in this thread that I can't address it all. I know that everyone here on adipex thinks that they have the answers because their doctors prescribed them the pills. It has become evident that none of you really understands what a calorie is and how our bodies use calories. @prettyleelee @tflyswagg @jdingus728 @Peachiko87 please read this link: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

If you are all still hell-bent on taking your pills (which I have taken in the past and trust me when I say I wish I had never put my body through that and I will never do it again), at least you'll have a bit more of an understanding on how all of this works so maybe you won't be totally screwed when you come off the meds.

Good luck to all of you.

Thank you for the judgment. I have read that post and plenty more after that. These pills are meant to be a helping hand not a get out of jail free card. If you do not learn to change your lifestyle you will go back into the original state that you came in. Everything that I am doing I am doing it with my regular physician right next to me not a health clinic doctor so I am sure she knows exactly what she is talking about when she sits down with me and we talk about calories and exercise.

You read judgment in my post where there was none. There is no shame in not understanding something. The problem comes when someone who has no understanding tries to give advice to others as if they understand.

You should understand that physicians in general have pretty much no understanding of nutrition. You said earlier that your doctor told you that 1200 "sounds like a good number" - did they explain why it sounded like a good number? I'd guess not, because your doctor really has no idea.

I truly hope that you "learn to change your lifestyle" as you mentioned in your reply. You seem to just be getting started with all of this, so I just think it's funny that you presume to know more than I do.

Your reply was full of judgment's and presumptions. You presume because I am on a pill my doctor magically gave me that I know nothing about calories or food intake. I do not know these other people however I can tell you that I have read a million and one articles on calorie inputs and out puts. So you assume I know nothing about them and neither does my doctor however she did earn a degree in nutrition medicine as well. She did say 1200 was right after the discussion we had on what my plans were for my weight loss and exercise.

Another presumption that you are making is I am just getting started nice but not true. I actually started over a year ago and ended up losing weight by running and calorie counts and was able to maintain it for a year. So I think it is funny that you made yet another assumption that I knew nothing when in reality I know quite a bit. You may know more than me I don't mind that however maybe you should watch your assumptions next time you want to reply to a subject you automaticly disagree with.
    Well, aren't you pleasant?

Also, you did say that you said the following, right before your doctor prescribed the Adipex:
    "I looked her in the face and said I was done no more being unhealthy no more not watching what I put into my body. No more paying for a gym but not using it."

Just sayin'.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Good luck to all of you.

Your reply was full of judgment's and presumptions. You presume because I am on a pill my doctor magically gave me that I know nothing about calories or food intake. I do not know these other people however I can tell you that I have read a million and one articles on calorie inputs and out puts. So you ASSume I know nothing about them and neither does my doctor however she did earn a degree in nutrition medicine as well. She did say 1200 was right after the discussion we had on what my plans were for my weight loss and exercise.

Another presumption that you are making is I am just getting started nice but not true. I actually started over a year ago and ended up losing weight by running and calorie counts and was able to maintain it for a year. So I think it is funny that you made yet another ASSumption that I knew nothing when in reality I know quite a bit. You may know more than me I don't mind that however maybe you should watch your ASSumptions next time you want to reply to a subject you automaticly disagree with.

Well, apologies for using the information that you gave in this thread to make assumptions based on that information.

It seems you have it all figured out.

I did find that while I was on the pill, I had terrible mood swings that caused me to lash out at people for no apparent reason. Surely, though, that's not the reason for the hostility in your reply.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Just my 2 cents but I think using things like this can lead to ultimate failure. Why? Because while the pill works it does not correct the bad eating habits that got you where you want to lose weight. It's a short term fix no different than say crash dieting. When you finish taking the medication you will be in a position where you were before. In reality there is no such thing as a "diet" that works long term. To get to your goal and maintain it you have to change your eating habits for life.

Here's the thing I don't get about the "habit" argument.

Habits take about 3-6 weeks to form. If you are taking phentermine, as I did, then you will probably be on it for longer than 6 weeks. More like 6 months.

At the end of 6 months, you should have formed new eating habits by virtue of not being hungry.

So why do people backslide when they come off the drugs?

Not because of habits, but because the hunger comes back!

I took Phentermine from February 18th until June 1st - almost 4 months. My doctor said he would prescribe for 6 months with a 2 month break. My monthly prescription has run out and I am going to try continuing weight loss without it for a bit and see how it goes.

I was taking Phentermine in conjunction with Topiramate. This is a common weight loss drug combination that works by appetite suppressant. It is not without risk and as a result many doctors will not prescribe unless you have a BMI over 30 and at least one co-morbidity (I have high blood pressure). You will have monthly check-ins with your doctor to verify there are no health problems cropping up as a result of the drug.

I found the first week of taking the drugs caused me to feel jittery. But after two weeks I felt fine. The appetite suppressant effect was good, but not as good as I experienced with Redux back in the 90s. The trick to phentermine is you need to take it first thing in the morning so that it burns off by night time so you can sleep. Otherwise you can have sleeping problems. It definitely is an "upper" and I felt great in the mornings when I took it. I can definitely tell now that I am off it that I am more tired during the day.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Just my 2 cents but I think using things like this can lead to ultimate failure. Why? Because while the pill works it does not correct the bad eating habits that got you where you want to lose weight. It's a short term fix no different than say crash dieting. When you finish taking the medication you will be in a position where you were before. In reality there is no such thing as a "diet" that works long term. To get to your goal and maintain it you have to change your eating habits for life.

Here's the thing I don't get about the "habit" argument.

Habits take about 3-6 weeks to form. If you are taking phentermine, as I did, then you will probably be on it for longer than 6 weeks. More like 6 months.

At the end of 6 months, you should have formed new eating habits by virtue of not being hungry.

So why do people backslide when they come off the drugs?

Not because of habits, but because the hunger comes back!

This is why it seems more beneficial to learn those habits without the use of appetite suppressants. You can train your body to ignore "hunger" cues until it's time to eat the next meal. We also track calories and control our portions so that we can stop eating and train our bodies to know when to stop eating. Knowing what real hunger feels like and understanding that a bit of hunger is not an emergency that requires immediate food consumption is important in the weight loss process and in maintaining that weight lost.

If you're using medication to suppress your appetite, it will not help you learn those habits on your own.
  • prettyleelee
    edited June 2015
    Options

Also, you did say that you said the following, right before your doctor prescribed the Adipex:
    "I looked her in the face and said I was done no more being unhealthy no more not watching what I put into my body. No more paying for a gym but not using it."

Just sayin'.

I really am pleasant thanks for noticing. I did say that to her because I hadn't been doing what I should have been like counting calories or not going to the gym. It didn't state I did not know what I was doing that was an assumption.

When people come into a post an automatically say everyone is wrong is a huge judgment and sorry it doesn't agree with me. it has nothing to do with a mood swing or being unpleasant it has to do with people who feel they know what is right for everyone.
  • TNoire
    Options
    Enough kids! lol

Lets get back on track here with giving pros and cons of taking diet pills, I think most of us agree that its not wise, end of story
  • prettyleelee
    Options
    TNoire wrote: »
    Enough kids! lol

Lets get back on track here with giving pros and cons of taking diet pills, I think most of us agree that its not wise, end of story

Lets just agree everyone has there own opinions on it.
  • RedDiamond37
    RedDiamond37 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My experience hasn't been bad, they killed my appetite completely at first, no jitters are any of the other issues that some people have. Just dry mouth and headaches at first. I changed my eating habits and stopped taking them cold turkey with no ill effects or withdrawals. So right now I find myself eating less, and making better choices, with some of my favorite things thrown in but always at a deficit. So for me the pill definitely helped and I'm glad I tried it! So good luck!
  • ImDowner
    ImDowner Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've taken it three times in the past and I will never take them again. Each time, yes I lost the weight quickly. Unfortunately, I also gained it back plus some each time when I quit taking them. It trashed my metabolism, and it took several years to recover and get to the place I am now. As far as side effects, it caused my blood pressure to spike, sleeplessness, mood swings and a dry mouth.

My opinion would be to find willpower, find the reasons you want to make a change, arm yourself with the knowledge of what caused you to gain weight in the first place and what you need to do to change that long term and keep it off, and then get busy eating less and moving more. The weight won't come off as fast, but you will be better off in the long run.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    lol 9 out of 10 people say don't take it

take it anyway

YOLOOOOOOO
  • TNoire
    Options
    @draznyth had to double take your profile pic reminded me of Keanu Reeves lol

As far as I see those of us that had bad experience with is and gained the weight back had the same problems issues with weight gain, blood pressure and more

The others that took it with good results are either still taking it or so it seems that way or had little to lose and was able to succeed but those of us that had big numbers to lose didn't have any success, i see how this is going!
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I took adipex/phentermine from 2007-2008. (Note: It's actually intended for really obese people to take for a couple of weeks under supervision, but it seems like doctors don't really follow that.) It didn't make me lose my appetite like it's supposed to, but the fact that it's an upper made me eat less because I didn't emotionally eat/think about food as much because I was buzzing around like a jittery bee. I'd skip a few days every two weeks or so so that I didn't get too used to it, and you could always tell when I started up again because I was basically high. Like, really high.

I did lose weight, and kept it off over the summer of 2008 until grad school started.

My friend took it over the same period of time, got addicted, lost a crap ton of weight, got heart problems, had to start taking medicine for her heart, and had trouble stopping the adipex even though she could actually die at that point. She had more weight loss "success" than I did.

We both gained weight again, and I actually hit my heaviest after that point (by like 40 pounds, soooo....).

I don't recommend it, but whatever.
  • TNoire
    Options
    Scary about your friend @daydreams_of_pretty did she finally stop taking it? and good for you!
  • lynclark21
    lynclark21 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was taking them before I got pregnant with my little girl, who is 6 years old. I lost 90 lbs using them. But after I came off of them because I was pregnant, I ate like a crazy person and gained all my weight back and then some.

This time I have changed my eating habits and and I am making changes that I can keep up with for the rest of my life. I'm 47 lbs down! And have 80 lbs to go!

I admit with the pill it's much faster process...but it's so easy to go back to your old habits once you are off of them.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    (Note: It's actually intended for really obese people to take for a couple of weeks under supervision, but it seems like doctors don't really follow that.)

^^^ This is the sad truth of it. ^^^

Family doctors are too often pressed for time to see enough patients a day to keep the lights on in their practice to talk to the patients in detail about ways to lose weight without medications.

Patients, on the other hand, have often tried and failed at a number of ways to lose weight and have been swamped with poor information on what works, so the "eat less, move more" advice doesn't really help at all.

Often, that conversation with the doctor ends up along the lines of "can't you just give me something?" and the doctor writes a scrip and sends the patient on their way.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    TNoire wrote: »
    Scary about your friend @daydreams_of_pretty did she finally stop taking it? and good for you!

She did! And thanks :p
  • MamaOfThree88
    MamaOfThree88 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hey there now, don't be 100% bashing this pill.
    I have had major luck with Phentermine. Currently on the 2nd month and have lost 26lbs with also eating Paleo and maintaining a healthy weight training regimen.

The thing about this pill is that you can't take it and just expect to lose weight and stay like that. You HAVE to eat better, you HAVE to watch your caloric intake and you HAVE to watch your macros. Fill up on protein and veggies at every meal.

With the side effects of what was all mentioned, I have experienced zero of them. I ake the 37.5 pill at 10am, eat my breakfast, snack, lunch, snack then dinner. The pill wears off usually around 5-6pm, and I then have an appetite for dinner. I don't take the pill on the weekends and have zero withdrawal or cravings. When I don't take the pill or when the pill wears off, I have noticed a significant difference in how quickly I get full and on top of that I don't get the 9pm chocolate cravings like I used to.

Before taking Phentermine and eating well, I would be so exhausted in the mornings and have the 3pm crash, but now I have neither. I wake up energized and I don't drink coffee anymore just because I don't need it!
    Everybody is different. You may experience nausea, vomiting, heart racing, etc, but I literally have none of those. I go to bed roughly around 9:30pm with NO trouble falling asleep and I stay asleep until my alarm goes off.
    All I am saying is don't knock it completely. It is useful for some, and then for others it isn't because they still eat twinkies and donuts while taking Phentermine. You have to learn to eat right and work out.
  • MamaOfThree88
    MamaOfThree88 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    and to reiterate, I have energy in the morning BEFORE taking the dosage. I wake up at 5:30am and take the pill at 10am.