adipex - diet pill

Options

Replies

• prettyleelee
    prettyleelee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    tflyswagg wrote: »
    My personal trainer who made my meal plan started me at a higher number, basically you keep it consistent for a period of time and then take.it down a little and keep it consistent for a while and so forth. He said thats why people hit a platue BC they don't give them self to to decrease. Any lower than 1200 your body will go into survival mode and store fat. That's why fad diets don't work or people will try one diet and then switch to another, you have to stay consistent that's why if you ever see people who are successful a lot of times the meals they eat are repetative. It made so much sense after I realized a few months ago I was doing a 1200 calorie diet and people on MFP kept saying It wasn't enough, I thought if I was more active than the calories I was consuming I would lose but in the end it made me gain 15 lbs:/

I am not sure this is true while talking toy doctor and many others 1200 is a good number and the more you work out the more you should eat due to your body wanting more fuel. If you work out more and do not eat more you than end up gaining because than you are storing fat.
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    TNoire wrote: »
    I took this for about 8 months, my blood pressure went though the roof and i lost a bunch of weight but after I stopped taking it I gained it back just as fast as I lost it, I was able to lose over 100lbs in those months, but again I gained it back. Plus I still battle blood pressure to this day even after 4 years later of myself not taking it anymore. I don't recommend it!

I get my blood pressure checked regularly and do not have a problem with it being high. When you lost the 100 did you change your habits? Keep those habits after you got off?

I got checked regularly also, but we where hoping it would come down over time and when it didnt my doc pulled the meds away. I kept my habits the same after I got off it and it didn't matter, like my doc said adipex is SPEED when your body don't have that speed anymore it slows down, everything slows down so you start gaining. I was even working out 3hrs a day 1hr cardio, 1hr yoga, 1hr sculpting, that i never changed, eventually I just gave up and now im back at everything again minus the meds, eating healthy and working out the old fashioned way is the way to go if you want to keep it off, plus weight loss pills can mess your body up in other ways
  • TNoire
    Options
    My personal trainer who made my meal plan started me at a higher number, basically you keep it consistent for a period of time and then take.it down a little and keep it consistent for a while and so forth. He said thats why people hit a platue BC they don't give them self to to decrease. Any lower than 1200 your body will go into survival mode and store fat. That's why fad diets don't work or people will try one diet and then switch to another, you have to stay consistent that's why if you ever see people who are successful a lot of times the meals they eat are repetative. It made so much sense after I realized a few months ago I was doing a 1200 calorie diet and people on MFP kept saying It wasn't enough, I thought if I was more active than the calories I was consuming I would lose but in the end it made me gain 15 lbs:/

I am not sure this is true while talking toy doctor and many others 1200 is a good number and the more you work out the more you should eat due to your body wanting more fuel. If you work out more and do not eat more you than end up gaining because than you are storing fat.

MFP tossed me this msg today

For safe weight loss, the National Institutes of Health recommends no less than 1000-1200 calories for women and 1200-1500 calories for men.

Even during weight loss, it's important to meet your body's basic nutrient and energy needs. Over time, not eating enough can lead to nutrient deficiencies, unpleasant side effects & other serious health problems.

To safely meet your goals:
    Focus on consuming nutrient-rich foods and beverages
    Check your progress in MyFitnessPal throughout the day
    Add nutritious snacks between meals as needed

• prettyleelee
    Options

MFP tossed me this msg today

For safe weight loss, the National Institutes of Health recommends no less than 1000-1200 calories for women and 1200-1500 calories for men.

Even during weight loss, it's important to meet your body's basic nutrient and energy needs. Over time, not eating enough can lead to nutrient deficiencies, unpleasant side effects & other serious health problems.

To safely meet your goals:
    Focus on consuming nutrient-rich foods and beverages
    Check your progress in MyFitnessPal throughout the day
    Add nutritious snacks between meals as needed

You always get this message on MFP if you do not eat enough calories that is why I said 1200 is a good number. I myself do about 1500 a day that because I do burn quite a few through out the day.

And even if your doctor does describe it as speed. Weight loss is a numbers things you burn more than you take in how are you going to gain weight? If you are not burning off what you are taking in than you are bound to gain no matter what work you do.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Diet pills are a crutch and unfortunately when your doctor takes away that crutch you are likely to fall on your face and gain it all back.

Learning to simply control yourself and eat less is a skill that can last your lifetime. No toxic prescription substances needed.

Hopefully you realize the reason drugs are only available legally by prescription is because they are dangerous and can kill you!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    There is so much misinformation in this thread that I can't address it all. I know that everyone here on adipex thinks that they have the answers because their doctors prescribed them the pills. It has become evident that none of you really understands what a calorie is and how our bodies use calories. @prettyleelee @tflyswagg @jdingus728 @Peachiko87 please read this link: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

If you are all still hell-bent on taking your pills (which I have taken in the past and trust me when I say I wish I had never put my body through that and I will never do it again), at least you'll have a bit more of an understanding on how all of this works so maybe you won't be totally screwed when you come off the meds.

Good luck to all of you.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Any lower than 1200 your body will go into survival mode and store fat.

This is not true.

Correct it is not true I go by what MFP tells me to go by that's 1240. I also work off about 600 calories a day and eat about 200 of those back so I end up with about 1500 a day. If started with more than that u wouldn't be able or so it. With these meds I barely get down the 1500 but I force myself because I know that's what's right.

Your math definitely doesn't work out. Do you eat 1500 or 1240? Even if you eat 1500, you're only netting 1100 per day, if it's true that you burn 600 calories a day with exercise (that's a lot of exercise, by the way) and eat back 200.

1500 - 600 + 200 = 1100

• TNoire
    Options
    Trust me @Alyssa_Is_LosingIt i wish i didn't take it, my body is all kinds of screwy even after 4 years later, If i would of stayed on the path i was on instead of swapping to the meds I could of had my 200lbs gone that I gained from quitting smoking and it would of stayed off for good instead of dealing with the yo yo I deal with now not to mention blood pressure etc, but I can't go back unfort I don't have a T.A.R.D.I.S so back at it from scratch and this time knowing better!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    Trust me @Alyssa_Is_LosingIt i wish i didn't take it, my body is all kinds of screwy even after 4 years later, If i would of stayed on the path i was on instead of swapping to the meds I could of had my 200lbs gone that I gained from quitting smoking and it would of stayed off for good instead of dealing with the yo yo I deal with now not to mention blood pressure etc, but I can't go back unfort I don't have a T.A.R.D.I.S so back at it from scratch and this time knowing better!

We all make mistakes and we all learn from them. :smile:

At least you are here now and are getting on the right track. You will get there!
  • TNoire
    Options

We all make mistakes and we all learn from them. :smile:

At least you are here now and are getting on the right track. You will get there!

Thanks and indeed I just hope others realize and toss em out before its to late!
  • malou1985
    malou1985 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Im on invokana for diabetes. Anyone want to jump on me about how my blood sugar would still be high without it?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    malou1985 wrote: »
    Im on invokana for diabetes. Anyone want to jump on me about how my blood sugar would still be high without it?

What? How is this relevant to a thread about stimulants being used as appetite suppressants?
  • prettyleelee
    Options
    ketorach wrote: »

This is not true.

Correct it is not true I go by what MFP tells me to go by that's 1240. I also work off about 600 calories a day and eat about 200 of those back so I end up with about 1500 a day. If started with more than that u wouldn't be able or so it. With these meds I barely get down the 1500 but I force myself because I know that's what's right.

Your math definitely doesn't work out. Do you eat 1500 or 1240? Even if you eat 1500, you're only netting 1100 per day, if it's true that you burn 600 calories a day with exercise (that's a lot of exercise, by the way) and eat back 200.

1500 - 600 + 200 = 1100

My 200 should have been three. However maybe you should truly understand what is being said. My calorie's from MFP is set at 1240 I do work off about 600 a day (running/Training) that actually give me about 1840 give and take I eat about half a lot of times less so half would be about 1540. However thanks for trying to teach me math.
  • prettyleelee
    Options
    There is so much misinformation in this thread that I can't address it all. I know that everyone here on adipex thinks that they have the answers because their doctors prescribed them the pills. It has become evident that none of you really understands what a calorie is and how our bodies use calories. @prettyleelee @tflyswagg @jdingus728 @Peachiko87 please read this link: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

If you are all still hell-bent on taking your pills (which I have taken in the past and trust me when I say I wish I had never put my body through that and I will never do it again), at least you'll have a bit more of an understanding on how all of this works so maybe you won't be totally screwed when you come off the meds.

Good luck to all of you.

Thank you for the judgment. I have read that post and plenty more after that. These pills are meant to be a helping hand not a get out of jail free card. If you do not learn to change your lifestyle you will go back into the original state that you came in. Everything that I am doing I am doing it with my regular physician right next to me not a health clinic doctor so I am sure she knows exactly what she is talking about when she sits down with me and we talk about calories and exercise.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ketorach wrote: »

This is not true.

1500 - 600 + 200 = 1100

My 200 should have been three. However maybe you should truly understand what is being said. My calorie's from MFP is set at 1240 I do work off about 600 a day (running/Training) that actually give me about 1840 give and take I eat about half a lot of times less so half would be about 1540. However thanks for trying to teach me math.
    I wasn't trying to be snarky, so no need to be snarky to me. Your description of what you consume wasn't very clear. I was legit concerned that you were eating 1240 or 1500 calories, burning 600 and only eating 200 back. I'm happy to hear that you're instead eating closer to 1800.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    jdingus728 wrote: »
    I started adipex yesterday to help with weight loss, my goal weight is 150 and im currently 242. Was wondering if anyone on here has had any success with it?

Hi, OP. I had "success" with Phentermine (same thing) in that I lost weight while I was on it. I also had heart palpitations, the jitters, sleeplessness and random nausea/vomiting. Determined, I kept taking it until I'd lost 20 pounds. Then I stopped - because you can't stay on this stuff forever, right? - and kept the same eating habits and promptly gained 30 pounds. (This was back in the 90's.)

That is just my experience with it. I've had similar experiences with Dexatrim (back when it had the stroke-inducing ingredient in it and I took it anyway), Metabolife and about a half dozen OTC weight loss supplements. I stopped trying to find a pill to permanently lose weight when I began having chest pains.

Everyone has to find out what works on their own, so I am not criticizing your choice, just sharing my own experience. I found all pills to be expensive without permanent results.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

Good luck to all of you.

Thank you for the judgment. I have read that post and plenty more after that. These pills are meant to be a helping hand not a get out of jail free card. If you do not learn to change your lifestyle you will go back into the original state that you came in. Everything that I am doing I am doing it with my regular physician right next to me not a health clinic doctor so I am sure she knows exactly what she is talking about when she sits down with me and we talk about calories and exercise.

You read judgment in my post where there was none. There is no shame in not understanding something. The problem comes when someone who has no understanding tries to give advice to others as if they understand.

You should understand that physicians in general have pretty much no understanding of nutrition. You said earlier that your doctor told you that 1200 "sounds like a good number" - did they explain why it sounded like a good number? I'd guess not, because your doctor really has no idea.

I truly hope that you "learn to change your lifestyle" as you mentioned in your reply. You seem to just be getting started with all of this, so I just think it's funny that you presume to know more than I do.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    jdingus728 wrote: »
    I started adipex yesterday to help with weight loss, my goal weight is 150 and im currently 242. Was wondering if anyone on here has had any success with it?

Hi, OP. I had "success" with Phentermine (same thing) in that I lost weight while I was on it. I also had heart palpitations, the jitters, sleeplessness and random nausea/vomiting. Determined, I kept taking it until I'd lost 20 pounds. Then I stopped - because you can't stay on this stuff forever, right? - and kept the same eating habits and promptly gained 30 pounds. (This was back in the 90's.)

That is just my experience with it. I've had similar experiences with Dexatrim (back when it had the stroke-inducing ingredient in it and I took it anyway), Metabolife and about a half dozen OTC weight loss supplements. I stopped trying to find a pill to permanently lose weight when I began having chest pains.

Everyone has to find out what works on their own, so I am not criticizing your choice, just sharing my own experience. I found all pills to be expensive without permanent results.

This was pretty much my experience with the pills. I also had the same knowledge that I needed to "learn to change my lifestyle." Being able to regurgitate that sentence to someone certainly did not keep me from putting back on 20 lbs after the 12 that I lost while on the pill.

When my doctor took me off of them cold turkey, I suffered withdrawals and eventually had to be medicated for depression. It was an awful experience and I would never recommend phentermine to anyone.
  • shortney985838
    shortney985838 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would also advise against it. I was on it for four months and lost 30 pounds. After two months it wasn't working as well and the Dr. I was seeing increased my dosage. I didn't change any eating habits, but just ate a lot less due to the pills. It completely screwed up my metabolism. After going off the pills I was tired, jittery, and if I did exercise I felt like I was going to crash. Anythig I ate my body held onto because I had been eating so little for too long. I also gained every bit of the weight back plus 15 pounds. Now I'm trying to get back down without the pills. Its a lot tougher, but I think in the long run it will work out much better.
  • TNoire
    Options
    I would also advise against it. I was on it for four months and lost 30 pounds. After two months it wasn't working as well and the Dr. I was seeing increased my dosage. I didn't change any eating habits, but just ate a lot less due to the pills. It completely screwed up my metabolism. After going off the pills I was tired, jittery, and if I did exercise I felt like I was going to crash. Anythig I ate my body held onto because I had been eating so little for too long. I also gained every bit of the weight back plus 15 pounds. Now I'm trying to get back down without the pills. Its a lot tougher, but I think in the long run it will work out much better.

Lets grab this and run together @shortney985838 ! We got this! It might take us a bit longer without the pills but we can do it ! :)