Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred commencing monday.

Options

Replies

• MariG25
    MariG25 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I think I've picked a great day to start my 30 day shred!! Question though, I wanted to add the work out to my exercises, but it cannot be found. How much of a calorie sizzler is this?

I actually found the general calorie burn online and just logged it in manually. Enter 30DS and calories burned, and MFP will save it for the next 29 days!
    Hi, can you please provide the link, I would like to log in and have mfp save it for the next 29 days. Thank you
  • ramonafrincu
    ramonafrincu Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Okay, the biggest concerns that some people are having:

• You aren't supposed to do strength training every day, back-to-back.

• Since this is only a thirty-day program, is it sustainable?

• Jillian says you aren't supposed to do it for 30 days... etc etc etc

My counterpoints to those:
    No, no you aren't supposed to do strength training every day, back-to-back. However, this isn't heavy lifting. This is some pushups, some squats, some crunches. This is nothing extreme (No Tony Horton here!), and it won't push your body to the breaking point - although it might feel like it. It mixes in cardio, which for some people (myself) makes the muscle fatigue less noticeable, and easier to push through. More on the consecutive days in a few.

Technically no, this program is not "sustainable," since it's only intended to be done for a set amount of time. HOWEVER. It's laying a good foundation. If somebody chooses to, after they finish this program, they can continue to work out in other fashions, or by just occasionally doing the level 1 (or 2, or 3) video. Like someone else says - it only takes 20 days of doing something to make it a habit. That's what we're doing. We're building a habit and a support group.

"Jillian says" (and please, please give me a link to some site where I can verify what she said, because I'd love to read her phrasing). The thing about doing this on consecutive days is that it depends on YOU. What YOU can handle, and what YOU are comfortable with. Me, myself, after having done intense programs like P90X and TF? I'm set up to believe that this will be a walk in the park [relatively speaking], and I fully intend to do it EVERY SINGLE DAY. However, a week from now I might end up swallowing my words and giving myself a rest day. It's up to you. Not every person is made the same.

Also, if you work out a muscle one day... Say I did like 50 curls today... It's best NOT to ignore that muscle tomorrow. You need to use it. You need to feel that after-burn. Even if you can't push as hard on day 2 as you did on day 1, it'll make your day 3 easier. Just from my personal experience, if I work out really hard on a muscle that I'm not used to working out on, I won't have afterburn until the day AFTER tomorrow, and then it'll be bad. Unless, of course, I do light exercise with that muscle the day after doing heavy exercise...

Heavy lifting -> Break day -> break day (ouch!) -> break day (ouch!) -> finally able to work on it again
    Heavy lifting -> Light lifting (slight ouch) -> Light lifting (slight ouch) -> Heavy lifting

tl;dr: stop trying to stop other people from getting into the habit of working out. If it works for them, let them do it. If it doesn't work for them, then help them get into a pattern that MIGHT work for them. We're here to be a team, to work on gaining fitness all around.

"Do your best, forget the rest."

This!!!!:flowerforyou:

Is just 20 minutes workout!! I did it for 30 days and had no problems! Now I am on my 50 th day of P90X and 11th day of 30DS and my body is just fine. I take a day rest a week but only because P90X is one hour long, sometimes 75 minutes a day. Love the shred and I am doing it every day. Just do what works for YOU! Just do something!
  • nm_353
    nm_353 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Guess I'll join in. I bought the 30DS a yr ago and never completed it! LOL, Never got past 4 days... I will start and try my best this time. Also, those that seem to be asking about how many days in a row you do the program.. Jillian herself, was a guest in one of my online "mommy" groups, she did a special for us about nutrition and exercise. Also she blessed us with a Q&A post that she personally answered. At one point the shred specifically was addressed, moms expressed concerns about not being able to do the entire program about it being to hard and etc... Basically she said, the program is designed to be done in 30 days, ideally level 1 for 10 days, level 2 for ten days, and level 3 for ten days... However, lots of people will not be able to do that, and if you would like to alternate days then you can, and to just do as much as you can within the 30 days or even take longer than 30 days.. The idea is just getting off of your butt, and doing as much as you can.. The reason the videos are so hard, is because to promise results in 30 days, it has to be pretty intense. You have to push yourself to get this done. I hope that will help lay any arguments or questions to rest. So pretty much both sides of the argument are right, as far as doing what only YOU can do. But yes, the program is designed for 30 days straight.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Okay, the biggest concerns that some people are having:

• You aren't supposed to do strength training every day, back-to-back.

• Since this is only a thirty-day program, is it sustainable?

• Jillian says you aren't supposed to do it for 30 days... etc etc etc

My counterpoints to those:
    No, no you aren't supposed to do strength training every day, back-to-back. However, this isn't heavy lifting. This is some pushups, some squats, some crunches. This is nothing extreme (No Tony Horton here!), and it won't push your body to the breaking point - although it might feel like it. It mixes in cardio, which for some people (myself) makes the muscle fatigue less noticeable, and easier to push through. More on the consecutive days in a few.

Technically no, this program is not "sustainable," since it's only intended to be done for a set amount of time. HOWEVER. It's laying a good foundation. If somebody chooses to, after they finish this program, they can continue to work out in other fashions, or by just occasionally doing the level 1 (or 2, or 3) video. Like someone else says - it only takes 20 days of doing something to make it a habit. That's what we're doing. We're building a habit and a support group.

"Jillian says" (and please, please give me a link to some site where I can verify what she said, because I'd love to read her phrasing). The thing about doing this on consecutive days is that it depends on YOU. What YOU can handle, and what YOU are comfortable with. Me, myself, after having done intense programs like P90X and TF? I'm set up to believe that this will be a walk in the park [relatively speaking], and I fully intend to do it EVERY SINGLE DAY. However, a week from now I might end up swallowing my words and giving myself a rest day. It's up to you. Not every person is made the same.

Also, if you work out a muscle one day... Say I did like 50 curls today... It's best NOT to ignore that muscle tomorrow. You need to use it. You need to feel that after-burn. Even if you can't push as hard on day 2 as you did on day 1, it'll make your day 3 easier. Just from my personal experience, if I work out really hard on a muscle that I'm not used to working out on, I won't have afterburn until the day AFTER tomorrow, and then it'll be bad. Unless, of course, I do light exercise with that muscle the day after doing heavy exercise...

Heavy lifting -> Break day -> break day (ouch!) -> break day (ouch!) -> finally able to work on it again
    Heavy lifting -> Light lifting (slight ouch) -> Light lifting (slight ouch) -> Heavy lifting

tl;dr: stop trying to stop other people from getting into the habit of working out. If it works for them, let them do it. If it doesn't work for them, then help them get into a pattern that MIGHT work for them. We're here to be a team, to work on gaining fitness all around.

"Do your best, forget the rest."

I was listening to one of her old podcasts this morning (It is titled acceptance and staying motivated) and she was talking why your muscles need a rest day and why you shouldn't be doing the same thing every single day. The only time she recommends doing her program daily is when she is talking about Body Revolution because of the way it is set up.
  • nm_353
    nm_353 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is true ( generally muscles need to rest in between), however, the 30 day shred is a 30 day program... Like she said... programs that are DESIGNED to be a certain length are created that way for a purpose. I think you're taking what she is saying out of context... Jillian herself has spoke many times on the 30DS even in the video, the idea is to push as hard as you can, and to promise results in 30 days, you have to make sacrifices and push yourself as hard as you can to get them.
  • jennatha
    jennatha Posts: 20
    Options
    I will join you guys. I have a really hard time because I get bored with it...maybe being in a group will help:)
  • brinsy
    brinsy Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm in. Going to try and stick with it for the 30 days this time. :)
  • carolinetayloruk
    carolinetayloruk Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm in, I've only made it to day four before quitting in the past
  • nave002
    nave002 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I will join you guys. I have a really hard time because I get bored with it...maybe being in a group will help:)

Me too... lol If I have to hear Jillian suck up to Natalie one more time..... ugh! Yes, we know Natalie is perfect! lol I'm considering writing the routine out just so I don't have to hear it over and over... lol BTW I'm on my third day of Level II.... :smile:
  • JMRod
    JMRod Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It varies for me each workout. If I really go all out without breaks, I can burn almost 300 calories. Other times, it's as little as 140 calories.

Get a heart rate monitor and wear it when you do the workout. I have my monitor connected to my Endomondo and it uploads the calories burned to MFP.
  • njconat
    njconat Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Im in! I had to look online at how long to do each level and it says to do each level for 10 days. Im excited but I hope I dont get bored... Im used to doing different workouts every day.

22551224.png
  • cwilliams080676
    cwilliams080676 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    She said on her pod cast, the 30 day shred was designed to be done 6 days a week. I'm doing ChaLean Extreme so I won't do it this time. I completed it twice now.
  • mojoismyvice
    Options
    Alright people! Thanks for the input I WILL be doing it for 30 days too, it is an intensive workout but as everybody says you need 20 days to make a habit of something. Your not supposed to keep doing it daily after that but there is no problem in doing it 3 or 4 times a week after that for upkeep.

Please don't argue with me, I'm not making you do anything, it's up to you how you do the program. i just created this post to find support, sorry if someone disagrees.

As for the annoyingness of her voice after a couple of days,I knew the routine so just muted it why I played my own workout music and that was good.

It's Sunday morning over here (NZ) so I"ll be doing it this time tomorrow!

I suggest you take measurements as well as weight and even a before and after pic (just for yourself-no need to share unless you feel comfortable doing so) because that will be where you see the results.

Good day to you all and happy shredding!

Ella
  • mojoismyvice
    Options
    Day one: DONE!
  • luvleegirl
    luvleegirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Starting TOMORROW!!!!!! I've never gotten passed day 6 haha so we'll seeeeeeeeeeeee!!! I'm excited.
  • craziecritter
    craziecritter Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    How do we log this under exercise????
  • mojoismyvice
    Options
    Personally I log it as 20 min of circuit training but a few other MFps had some better ideas if you look at some older posts
  • Britterboo22
    Britterboo22 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    tomorrow will be day two for me :D
    Im on the wagon ladies, add me :D:D
  • Apple1234
    Apple1234 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Count me in!!! Ive done this dvd completely through 3 times within the last year and its amazing!!! I like to do it every day for 30 days also cause im usually sitting on my butt all day at school :) cant wait to begin!
  • luvleegirl
    luvleegirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Apple1234......what kind of results did you get???