Diet coke.

Options
I drink lots of water and lemon ,water on its own but last few days Ive had diet coke also .Kust wondered if its alright to drink.

Replies

• NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    It's fine. You'll get the odd person tell you soda is the devil but hey... If you enjoy it and want to drink it then yes. Soda is fine :)
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Many people drink diet sodas with no I'll effect. Others don't. If you've never done sodas before I wouldn't start up now. They are slightly addictive and hard to get off them once you start. Water is always the best choice for the body.
  • holm02
    holm02 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    Many people drink diet sodas with no I'll effect. Others don't. If you've never done sodas before I wouldn't start up now. They are slightly addictive and hard to get off them once you start. Water is always the best choice for the body.

In moderation, soda is highly enjoyable and not really that addictive.

But not everyone is great at moderation;)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Don't worry if you've drunk Diet Coke, unless the caffeine is keeping you awake at night.

Personally, I prefer sparkling mineral water.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I drink diet coke and diet 7-up daily
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »

If they're so addictive, how did I go from 2-3 24-ounce bottles of regular to a can of diet a day?

OP, there's nothing wrong with it as long as you don't have any side effects from the artificial sweeteners.
  • rseneca724
    rseneca724 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Caffeine Free Coke Zero is my new go-to when I just get sick of water all the time. I allow myself 1-2 per day because they aren't great for you. But definitely better than the regular stuff when it comes to calories and that icky sugary film that drives me nuts.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I'm drinking a Diet Coke right now!
  • holm02
    holm02 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    It's fine. I've lost the weight and now am successfully maintaining, and I drink diet soda every day :) Drinking diet Coke with Lime right now!
  • likehlikeo
    likehlikeo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Having one right now. If I crave candy and don't have any in my desk drawer, Diet Coke usually does the trick for me :)
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    I allow myself 1 diet Dr. Pepper a week as a Friday treat (I also occasionally steal sips of my bf's regular coke when we go out). It's not so much the "addictiveness" or the artificial sweetners that make me stay away, it's the fact that I tend not to drink enough water for hydration if I fill up with soda. That's really it.

I've heard about some horror stories regarding diet soda, including how they can cause seizures. A co-worker of mine had seizures they thought were related to diet products - but she had been drinking a TWELVE PACK A DAY (O__o) for over 15 years. And if you look into those horror stories, they usually do involve some insane amount that no human should be drinking. I can't even drink the water equivalent of a twelve pack of soda each day.

So like others have said, if you don't have any negative reactions to the caffiene or artificial sweeteners, and are staying hydrated enough for your activity level, it's perfectly fine.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I have one 4-5 times a week.

Diet coke is fine. It shouldn't be the only thing you ever drink because water is important, not because diet coke is bad.

Moderation, yo.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I drink diet coke daily. I usually at least 32 oz every day and have for a really, really long time. I think you will be fine unless you happen to have an allergy to an ingredient or something.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Diet drinks will trigger an insulin response, despite their lack of actual sugar, which is why some people avoid them as much as fully sugared drinks. I'm not a diabetic, and I tend to drink my diet soda with meals that would have triggered an insulin response anyway. As long as you're not tracking insulin or allergic to an artificial sweetener, you're good to go.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Diet soda has never triggered an insulin response in me and I regularly test my sugar. There's a stupid opinion piece out in the internet that is perpetuating this myth. I am drinking a diet coke right now; no harm. My drive to work has way more inherent risks. Pray for me.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Diet drinks will trigger an insulin response, despite their lack of actual sugar, which is why some people avoid them as much as fully sugared drinks. I'm not a diabetic, and I tend to drink my diet soda with meals that would have triggered an insulin response anyway. As long as you're not tracking insulin or allergic to an artificial sweetener, you're good to go.

So then why are they routinely recommended to diabetics?
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

Diet drinks on the American Diabetic Association list of drink recommendations.....

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/making-healthy-food-choices/what-can-i-drink.html?loc=ff-slabnav