Gym owner won't let me sign up?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Odd. Based on the OP's BMR of 1450 and claims of eating 3000 calories a day of no weight gain................................

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    1) OP probably isn't in the US based on snack descriptions. I'm going to guess UK.

2) OP, I went to high school with a boy like you. He was close to 6 feet tall and barely crossed 100 pounds. His father was my calculus teacher and also very trim. Before you exercise, you need to put on weight. Protein shakes should be added to your diet. If you make a shake with ice cream, a nut butter or nutella, protein powder, ground flax seed, and whole milk and do this every day, you will easily add 1000 calories to your day. You can also add an avocado to this mixture. If it is chocolate, you won't even notice.

You need to up your calories. It isn't unheard of for a boy your age to need 5000 a day to gain mass.

I presume you're still living with your parents or at university? Make sure they know your goals and help out with the shopping. If you are on your own, load up on those good fats and make sure you're eating enough carbs to fuel you.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    when i was dangerously underweight i thought i ate a lot.
    if i guessed at my daily cals it would be way over the norm.
    i really couldn't understand why i was losing & losing all the time.

it wasn't until i lived with my ex & started eating what he ate that i realised my mistake. it coulda killed me!

weight & measure & log EVERYTHING.
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who has an eating disorder (not your story, but follow me). Many gym members complain that she should be banned because she is in danger of harming herself. In reality, these uneducated buffoons are uncomfortable looking at her and taking out their own insecurities on her without knowing her full situation. Anyway, even IF the gym denied her a membership she'd go somewhere else. It's her right, so they take her money and allow her membership. This owner is a fool. It sounds like discrimination even though it is under the guise of "your best interest". i'd give someone else my $. Screw him.

I know right. I love it when my customers pass out with hundreds of lbs of weight over their head because they have an eating disorder and because they don't have enough strength to pull something like this. Screw my business and the liability your ED brings, I just wanna make sure that you know that I'm jealous of your awesome ED!!!!!!!

I would, like, totally wanna BFF and personally train you if you had a huge thigh gap.

LMAO

Hey, taunto...
    you clearly misunderstood my post. I worry about my friend. She knows she has an issue. She works out "for her head". She doesn't have or want a personal trainer and you are about as bright as the other members who prejudge without all the info. I bet you'd deny an obese person a seat next to you on aspin bike because they might sweat all over you. My point is that in AMERICA we have freedom. If my friend wants to die on a cardio machine itis her right and the gym can stil make her membership dues. Ethical or not. Everyone is so perfect and critical. Sorry I even bothered. I guess you are on MFP because you are just PERFECT. perfectly closed minded.
    If your friend is in danger of dying on a treadmill, it is the gym's right to refuse membership. I think if anything happened to her, she would be suing or some relative would sue (if she died). The gym owner isn't uneducated. He or she is educated very well by his insurance on law suits. I am obese and when I joined a gym they wanted my doctor's approval for me to be able to workout. The owner has to look out for those that aren't looking out for themselves.
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    My point is that in AMERICA we have freedom. If my friend wants to die on a cardio machine itis her right and the gym can stil make her membership dues. Ethical or not. Everyone is so perfect and critical. Sorry I even bothered. I guess you are on MFP because you are just PERFECT. perfectly closed minded.
    No, we don't. We have liberty, not freedom. There is a huge difference.

And beyond that, the right to force a gym to let me work out there despite obvious physical risk or against the gym's policy isn't one of the rights guaranteed to me under Constitution or by Amendment.

I'm sorry to say this, but from a E European point of view you guys have no freedom at all; you are just raised to think you do. I know someone who went to college in the US and returned home because he couldn't adapt to the lack of freedom there. In my country you can be near death and still join a gym, no one would care because people don't lawyer up so quickly.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    My point is that in AMERICA we have freedom. If my friend wants to die on a cardio machine itis her right and the gym can stil make her membership dues. Ethical or not. Everyone is so perfect and critical. Sorry I even bothered. I guess you are on MFP because you are just PERFECT. perfectly closed minded.

And beyond that, the right to force a gym to let me work out there despite obvious physical risk or against the gym's policy isn't one of the rights guaranteed to me under Constitution or by Amendment.

I'm sorry to say this, but from a E European point of view you guys have no freedom at all; you are just raised to think you do. I know someone who went to college in the US and returned home because he couldn't adapt to the lack of freedom there. In my country you can be near death and still join a gym, no one would care because people don't lawyer up so quickly.

Being able to join a gym isn't "freedom." The gym owner has his own freedom, which includes the freedom to throw you off his property if he wants.
  • bdeezy3396
    bdeezy3396 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It appears some are missing the point as you have an ectomorph body style simply eating more will not necessarily help you gain weight. There are a lot of strength training exercises that can be done safely and help you increase body mass. Because you can not force people to look past their own opinions and objections you can always look in to getting a hold of your own weights. I'm sure you can find some from craigslist or in a garage sale that has just been sitting in someones basement.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/best_ectomorph_workout.htm
  • sandieecakes
    Options
    I would talk to my doctor and if your doctor says it's ok for you to workout at a gym then get your doctor to put that in writing and see if that will change the gym owners mind. Or just go back and ask the gym owner if you get a written doctors note saying it's ok for you to workout will he allow you to join? If he says yes then get an exam and a letter from your doctor.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    My point is that in AMERICA we have freedom.

Did you fail government class? You have the FREEDOM to speak your mind, to practice or not practice religion, etc., without the threat of punishment by the government. You do NOT have the freedom to work out in someone else's gym, any more than you have the freedom to walk into someone else's home and eat their food.

Actually access to private businesses comes under the commerce clause of the constitution. Hence, black people can't be kicked out of restaurants anymore.

a black person isn't going to die on a treadmill because they're black. a dangerously unhealthy person doing unhealthy practices in a gym is a serious insurance liability, and thus the gym owner has a right to deny access.

For the third time. My point wasn't that the constitution allows this person to work out in this gym. It was simply that the person making comments about the constitution was making incorrect comments.

What everyone is saying is that you had a really bad argument, that didn't pertain to the situation so your made up case is pointless, and you did not prove any points at all to anyone.
  • bagge72
    Options

So you are saying the gym owner has no freedom in your country then? Good argument.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I've recently tried joining this gym that's the only gym local to me, I wanted to begin a lifting programme and put on some size and gain some muscle mass. Take into account I find it very very hard to put weight on, anyway when I went into the gym and told the manager what my goals was he took some measurements and did a little exam on me and weighed me and stuff and told me that my weight was dangerously low to be messing with weight's and basically said i wasn't healthy.. yet he knowns nothing about my struggles in that part of my life. anyway he told me i weighed 97-98 pounds and i'm 5ft 7 (18 years old) and i myself couldn't believe that i was that low? before you say I'm anoreix or crap like that I'm not, I'm an ectomorph and I eat anywhere from 3000-3500 calories a day and that used to consist of milk shakes/cookies/harbio's/jaffa cakes/cakes/chocolate/energy drinks all sorts of crap, but I've cleaned up my diet now to fresh fruits/veg/lean meats/ complex carbs (brown rice) and calorie dense foods like almond butter/nuts/olive oil/porridge. what should i do? should i just stay at home and try and put weight on if i can and see if he let's me join? how much weight should i gain before he let's me use his gym?

Hi David. It would be a good idea for you to get checked out by a doctor. If you really ARE eating as much as you say you are there may be a medical reason you aren't gaining weight. Hyperthyroidism, diabetes, etc. should all be ruled out. I can well understand the gym owner's denial. He was being responsible (to both his business and your safety) in not allowing you to potentially hurt yourself in his gym.
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    One of my close relatives would eat practically nonstop, yet he was scary thin and unable to put on any weight. Turned out he has Chron's disease, which affects the ability to process certain foods. I'm not saying that's the case with the OP, but he should definitely go see a good internist and make sure there aren't any other underlying issues.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    It appears some are missing the point as you have an ectomorph body style simply eating more will not necessarily help you gain weight. There are a lot of strength training exercises that can be done safely and help you increase body mass. Because you can not force people to look past their own opinions and objections you can always look in to getting a hold of your own weights. I'm sure you can find some from craigslist or in a garage sale that has just been sitting in someones basement.

telling him to get a medical advice and a doctor's note isn't missing the point.
    if it's safe for him to work out then he'll have no trouble getting one.

at the very least he should have his heart checked before he starts.
  • bdeezy3396
    bdeezy3396 Posts: 89 Member
    Options

telling him to get a medical advice and a doctor's note isn't missing the point.
    if it's safe for him to work out then he'll have no trouble getting one.

at the very least he should have his heart checked before he starts.

Never said getting medical advice was missing the point. - By simply telling someone with an ectomorph bodystyle to eat more is missing the point. And yes getting your heart checked for anyone before starting an exercise program is a good idea..
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    To the OP, I agree with the people who think you need to see a doctor. Also, track your calories. You sound like my son, who when he eats, eats 600 to 1000 calories at a setting. As any eleven year old boy, that's a goodly amount of food. But his appetite is inconsistent and he doesn't really get hungry more than three times a day. He has to be supplimentally fed because his entire life it's either his appetite or his metabolism working against him. There's also powders to add to your food and supplements, but first, see a doctor.

The gym owner was only protecting his business and possibly your health in his own way. I don't envy you, it is easier for obese people like me to lose the weight than for medically thin people to gain it. I have watched my son struggle to gain for his entire life. There's less support and experts out there for you and they probably can't even tell you WHY you can't gain.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options

Did you fail government class? You have the FREEDOM to speak your mind, to practice or not practice religion, etc., without the threat of punishment by the government. You do NOT have the freedom to work out in someone else's gym, any more than you have the freedom to walk into someone else's home and eat their food.

Actually access to private businesses comes under the commerce clause of the constitution. Hence, black people can't be kicked out of restaurants anymore.

a black person isn't going to die on a treadmill because they're black. a dangerously unhealthy person doing unhealthy practices in a gym is a serious insurance liability, and thus the gym owner has a right to deny access.

For the third time. My point wasn't that the constitution allows this person to work out in this gym. It was simply that the person making comments about the constitution was making incorrect comments.

What everyone is saying is that you had a really bad argument, that didn't pertain to the situation so your made up case is pointless, and you did not prove any points at all to anyone.

My only point was that someone made an inaccurate statement about the relationship of the bill of rights to constitutional law as a whole. I wasn't trying to prove any points to anyone. I wasn't even talking about the original topic. I was not referring to a made up case, but an entire string of supreme court cases starting with Katzenbach v. McClung that are on point about federal regulation of private businesses in the context of discrimination. AND I SAID REPEATEDLY THAT I WAS TALKING ENTIRELY OFF TOPIC.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Actually, before this thread gets too carried away, I would like to see some evidence that OP's is not a sock puppet account. There are some clues to that effect (posts and profile viewable by friends only, new account, hit-and-run started threads).
  • bagge72
    Options

My only point was that someone made an inaccurate statement about the relationship of the bill of rights to constitutional law as a whole. I wasn't trying to prove any points to anyone. I wasn't even talking about the original topic. I was not referring to a made up case, but an entire string of supreme court cases starting with Katzenbach v. McClung that are on point about federal regulation of private businesses in the context of discrimination. AND I SAID REPEATEDLY THAT I WAS TALKING ENTIRELY OFF TOPIC.

Ok, where in the topic that you were replying to does it say anything about the relationship of the bill of rights to the constitutional law as a whole?
  • davidparker12
    Options
    to those who say I'm not consuming 3000+ calories, I tracked everything i ate by every gram for a whole week on here and I added all my calories over the week and devided it by 7 and got 3471 calories in total for each day, when i weighed myself 2 days ago i had lost 0.3kg's...
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    to those who say I'm not consuming 3000+ calories, I tracked everything i ate by every gram for a whole week on here and I added all my calories over the week and devided it by 7 and got 3471 calories in total for each day, when i weighed myself 2 days ago i had lost 0.3kg's...

All of that is an estimate. People who are underweight have an EXTREMELY high likelihood of underestimating intake, and the reverse is true for people who are overweight.

Regardless, at 100 lbs if you're losing weight at 3k calories...eat 5k a day.