Why are abs impossible?!

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    why does everyone equate clean eating with abs?

10,000 pins on Pinterest that say so can't be wrong!

for realz...it is kind of sad how people base their ideal body on some photo shopped pictures with perfect lighting...
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    draznyth wrote: »
    I feel like there's a Philosophical Raptor for this thread out there somewhere

clean-eater-dino-meme.png

lol +1
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    yes, abs have nothing to do with clean eating. Tracking your food intake and lifting is key. You need to add some type of weight training to your exercise routine. I don't have access to a gym, but I do a variety of exercise with weights and HIIT at home. After 2 kids and at 41 years old I have a stomach I am proud of, all while not cutting out any types of foods or drinks. You can do it!
    ETA: Look back at some of usmcmp's threads. They can help you out too!
  • Neversettle78
    Neversettle78 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    MamaFunky wrote: »
    yes, abs have nothing to do with clean eating. Tracking your food intake and lifting is key. You need to add some type of weight training to your exercise routine. I don't have access to a gym, but do a variety of exercise with weights and HIIT. After 2 kids and at 41 years old I have a stomach I am proud of, all while not cutting out any types of foods or drinks. You can do it!

I second all of this! While my abs are not visible at the moment, I am a 37 year old Mom of two.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Yes because if it is on the internet it must be true....right?

Actually "clean" (whatever the f that is) eating is irrelevant to abs...it is the amount of calories you consume combined with the type of training you do.

Right, I was being sarcastic. :flowerforyou:
  • Neversettle78
    Neversettle78 Posts: 208 Member
    Options

Yes because if it is on the internet it must be true....right?

Actually "clean" (whatever the f that is) eating is irrelevant to abs...it is the amount of calories you consume combined with the type of training you do.

Right, I was being sarcastic. :flowerforyou:

Sorry, my sarcasometer must be broken - oops! :)
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Burning more Calories than you take in. Lifting heavy weights (no you won't get bulky). Doing some cardio. Getting enough protein and fat.

Also, 35 lbs in 5 months is a pretty significant amount of weight. You COULD have some loose skin. It will take time for it to adjust to your leaner body. Since you are only 21, it shouldn't take long. If there is no difference in after a few months, refer to the first paragraph.
  • hnaquin280
    hnaquin280 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

When I say clean eating I just mean I've cut out processed foods and eat more fruits and vegetables and make all of my dinners from scratch. I've noticed a huge difference in my body after starting that. I don't do any crazy detoxes or anything, just eating better.
  • hnaquin280
    Options
    MamaFunky wrote: »
    yes, abs have nothing to do with clean eating. Tracking your food intake and lifting is key. You need to add some type of weight training to your exercise routine. I don't have access to a gym, but I do a variety of exercise with weights and HIIT at home. After 2 kids and at 41 years old I have a stomach I am proud of, all while not cutting out any types of foods or drinks. You can do it!
    ETA: Look back at some of usmcmp's threads. They can help you out too!

Thank you! I have just been doing body weight ab excercises and it makes sense to start adding weights. I was just worried at first that it would bulk up my abs without thinning me down and give me a bloated look
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    hnaquin280 wrote: »

When I say clean eating I just mean I've cut out processed foods and eat more fruits and vegetables and make all of my dinners from scratch. I've noticed a huge difference in my body after starting that. I don't do any crazy detoxes or anything, just eating better.

You can still eat processed foods or junk food and get abs. Some people find it easier to stick to a calorie deficit by limiting those, but you could still include them.
  • hnaquin280
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    What are your current abdominal exercises? Do you have any loose skin?

I actually do have some loose skin and it bothers me! But I figured doing abdominal workouts to tighten up would eventually help even everything out
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I will be in the minority and say that from personal experience I fail to see how heavy lifting is needed for visible abs. Low body fat is what it takes. If you get there by lifting or not, it is irrelevant. Contrary to what many people on MFP seem to believe, long distance runners for example usually have visible abs. At least theones who are serious about it. As in every sport.
  • jacklfc88
    jacklfc88 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    I will be in the minority and say that from personal experience I fail to see how heavy lifting is needed for visible abs. Low body fat is what it takes. If you get there by lifting or not, it is irrelevant. Contrary to what many people on MFP seem to believe, long distance runners for example usually have visible abs. At least theones who are serious about it. As in every sport.

resistance training keeps your metabolism firing for a couple of days afterwards, as does HIIT. resistance training also builds muscle. add in that most exercises engage and strengthen core (i say most as in free weights not isolation machines) and it does definitely help.

i have to say i prefer eating clean, that's just my choice though, not just for training benefits but just on the whole really, i am not sure i could eat processed foods and junk food and have abs but that's just me.
  • hnaquin280
    Options

You can still eat processed foods or junk food and get abs. Some people find it easier to stick to a calorie deficit by limiting those, but you could still include them.

I get that, I just prefer to eat cleaner. It gives me more energy and makes me feel less bloated. I don't understand why everyone is honing in on the clean eating thing...I was kinda hoping for some helpful replies about effective excercises or something

• hnaquin280
    Options
    jacklfc88 wrote: »

resistance training keeps your metabolism firing for a couple of days afterwards, as does HIIT. resistance training also builds muscle. add in that most exercises engage and strengthen core (i say most as in free weights not isolation machines) and it does definitely help.

i have to say i prefer eating clean, that's just my choice though, not just for training benefits but just on the whole really, i am not sure i could eat processed foods and junk food and have abs but that's just me.

Thank you! Haha I do HIIT on the treadmill 5 days a week. I'm sure it's possible to have abs and eat poorly but I'd rather not
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Because not many people on here train like an athlete, they just work out. Also, some people have low lean mass. That means they have to diet to a very low body weight to look lean. Lifting can improve body composition, meaning they don't have to lose as much weight.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options

Yeah but that's still not a requirement for abs. My food diary would scare a clean eater. My goal is 100% to hit my macros (I'm lenient on carbs because all my favorite foods are fatty so I tend to lose some grams to fat). I might cook a "clean" meal a couple times a week. Even my breakfast that I make relies on "unclear" deli meat.

Ever since I hit maintenance and started pushing hard with weights and nailing my protein, I've seen a good bit of leaning out and my abs are starting to pull through.

Calories, Macros, and lift.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I get that, I just prefer to eat cleaner. It gives me more energy and makes me feel less bloated. I don't understand why everyone is honing in on the clean eating thing...I was kinda hoping for some helpful replies about effective excercises or something

if you did not want anyone to "hone in on it" you did you even reference that you eat clean?

clean eating is necessary for absolutely nothing...except self torture.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

If you don't have thick enough abs even with low body fat, it will be difficult for them to show.
  • hnaquin280
    Options

if you did not want anyone to "hone in on it" you did you even reference that you eat clean?

clean eating is necessary for absolutely nothing...except self torture.

I'm just saying that wasn't the main point of the question haha