ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    who lifts and who does not in the pic below:

10-percent-body-fat-male-pictures1.jpg
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    why does everyone equate clean eating with abs?

You, sir, are too much.

Every time I read a post, I ask myself a question, only to scroll down and see that you've inevitably beaten me to it.
  • _pragma_
    _pragma_ Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    hnaquin280 wrote: »
    Hi! I've been on MFP for about 5 months and have lost 35 pounds and hit my goal weight. I'm now focusing on maintaining and strengthening. Overall, I think I've lost a significant amount of weight, but my midsection still bothers me. I eat clean, do all kinds of abdominal excercises that are not just sit ups and crunches, and I do cardio 45 minutes a day 5 days a week. I'm just not seeing any progress in my midsection. I'm not going for a ripped 6 pack, I'd just like to tighten up and tone and see some definition and not flabby lower belly fat ): is this a problem for anyone else?

Abdominal definition in women begins to show around 15% body fat, which is pretty low for females. I would get some body fat calipers and check to see where you are at.
  • Neversettle78
    Neversettle78 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    I will be in the minority and say that from personal experience I fail to see how heavy lifting is needed for visible abs. Low body fat is what it takes. If you get there by lifting or not, it is irrelevant. Contrary to what many people on MFP seem to believe, long distance runners for example usually have visible abs. At least theones who are serious about it. As in every sport.

Is it only me who finds it difficult to accept the opinion of someone without a profile pic? Maybe that's just me though.
    The body composition I envision of a long-distance runner is personally not how I would like to achieve ab definition...but that is just my personal preference.
  • joeboland
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    why does everyone equate clean eating with abs?

When I say clean eating I just mean I've cut out processed foods and eat more fruits and vegetables and make all of my dinners from scratch. I've noticed a huge difference in my body after starting that. I don't do any crazy detoxes or anything, just eating better.

You can still eat processed foods or junk food and get abs. Some people find it easier to stick to a calorie deficit by limiting those, but you could still include them.

This. Per my profile pic, I'd like to think I'm on my way toward a decent set of abs, and I'll be damned if I'm about to give up my daily afternoon treat: a 4-pack of Oreos.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I will be in the minority and say that from personal experience I fail to see how heavy lifting is needed for visible abs. Low body fat is what it takes. If you get there by lifting or not, it is irrelevant. Contrary to what many people on MFP seem to believe, long distance runners for example usually have visible abs. At least theones who are serious about it. As in every sport.

Distance runners still work their core. The abs are visible because they exist and have strong cores. That's why you see models with low body fat but no abs and simply a flat stomach.

Lifting is recommended because most people aren't just feeling unhappy with their lower stomach. They reached a goal and yet feel flabby. Lifting will work their entire body. With compound lifts people don't even have to target the abs with specific work (no "ab day" needed). Lifting isn't recommended because we think runners can't have abs.
  • hnaquin280
    hnaquin280 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    _pragma_ wrote: »
    Hi! I've been on MFP for about 5 months and have lost 35 pounds and hit my goal weight. I'm now focusing on maintaining and strengthening. Overall, I think I've lost a significant amount of weight, but my midsection still bothers me. I eat clean, do all kinds of abdominal excercises that are not just sit ups and crunches, and I do cardio 45 minutes a day 5 days a week. I'm just not seeing any progress in my midsection. I'm not going for a ripped 6 pack, I'd just like to tighten up and tone and see some definition and not flabby lower belly fat ): is this a problem for anyone else?

Abdominal definition in women begins to show around 15% body fat, which is pretty low for females. I would get some body fat calipers and check to see where you are at.

Thank you! That's a good idea
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options

You certainly don't need to lift a thing to have visible abs. I lift nothing heavier than a beer glass, yet my abs are clearly visible.
  • joeboland
    Options

At the end of the day, your abdominal fascia is a muscle group like any other, and needs to be subjected to progressive overload, ie. resistance training, in order to grow. This is like saying "you don't need to work your biceps to have visible definition". While this in itself is true, you can lean right out and have the most defined biceps around - they just aren't going to be anything to write home about. Same goes for your abs. The old saying "abs are made in the kitchen" should really be amended to "abs are made in the gym, and shown off in the kitchen".
  • glevinso
    Options

Kinda strawmannish. First, the guy on the left is well lit with the lights above him to accent the muscles, with his arms down and his abs flexed. I look like that when I also stand that way and light myself correctly. The guy on the right - is lit from the front with a brighter light, arms up (which pulls his pects up). His shoulders are back which tells me he is not flexing his abs. I can make myself look like that too by standing how he stands.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

if you have little to no muscle mass- having low body fat and having visible abs- is hard. That's what people who are very small and not over weight are- skinny fat- they don't look toned- they just look super tiny and squishy. same concept.

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

My abs are clear and visible at 21% because the muscles have volume. Most women should see some sort of ab definition around 18% and if they don't it means they have low lean mass.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I cosign USMCP's sentement and call rubbish on this- around 15% a woman's going to be looking quiet shredded.

I have very soft definition and I'm in the mid 20's.
  • Pammeycakes55
    Pammeycakes55 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    OK, while we are on the suject of abs.....is it possible for a woman 60 years of age, new to weight lifting, with time and patience, see some toning and definition in her lower abdomin? I've had two C sections and hystorectomy. Is there anything anyone can suggest? Thanks~
  • ndj1979
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

Kinda strawmannish. First, the guy on the left is well lit with the lights above him to accent the muscles, with his arms down and his abs flexed. I look like that when I also stand that way and light myself correctly. The guy on the right - is lit from the front with a brighter light, arms up (which pulls his pects up). His shoulders are back which tells me he is not flexing his abs. I can make myself look like that too by standing how he stands.

you could be right..I just thought it was a good example of 10% body fat vs 10% body fat.....
  • glevinso
    Options

you could be right..I just thought it was a good example of 10% body fat vs 10% body fat.....

Yea - definitely shows, though, that 10% can mean different things. One additional point I forgot to make - I can make myself look almost like the guy on the left given the right light, but I never lift anything. I suspect the guy on the right does NO physical activity whatsoever (or very little). Even long-distance endurance training builds some muscle, which is where I seem to be.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Yea - definitely shows, though, that 10% can mean different things. One additional point I forgot to make - I can make myself look almost like the guy on the left given the right light, but I never lift anything. I suspect the guy on the right does NO physical activity whatsoever (or very little). Even long-distance endurance training builds some muscle, which is where I seem to be.

I agree with right lighting I can look pretty shredded too :)
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm personally really frustrated by this. I ran and ran and ran and ran and ran and lost 50 lbs. was at my lowest weight, smallest size, and no abs. So I started lifting and eating more, I'm sure I built muscle there because my waist line went up, but now i have more pudge on there than I want. So I am back to trying to lose fat and hopefully see something this time. My lowest weight was 123. Now I'm 143 (not suggesting I put on 20 lbs of muscle by any means!) and I'm thinking if I actually keep lifting while eating right (a hard task for me, apparently) I should (finally??) see something around 135. ...i hope.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    If you've been eating clean, have you tried eating ultra clean?
    Don't just wash your fruits and vegetables once, or even twice with water.
    Wash them with bleach (warning, not actual advice, do not do).
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    OK, while we are on the suject of abs.....is it possible for a woman 60 years of age, new to weight lifting, with time and patience, see some toning and definition in her lower abdomin? I've had two C sections and hystorectomy. Is there anything anyone can suggest? Thanks~

All i can say is my mom is 74 years old, took up lifting this year, and has muscles she has never had before in her life.