When you feel like eating something bad...

Options
1235»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I know folks around here aren't fans of the use of 'bad' foods.....but I assure you, there's not much 'good' in poutine. (A pile of deep fried French fries, smothered in gravy and topped with wads of cheese curds and bacon).
    Wait....I'm wrong.....there is 'good'....it's the taste!

It's my weakness. It has WAY more calories than I could logically burn off in a day......so I just don't.
    I tell myself "If I think it's such a good idea today, then it will be a good idea tomorrow"
    By tomorrow, I usually have reevaluated and know it's just not worth it.

OMG I LOVE poutine!!! I ate it by the pound when I was visiting Canada. Some restaurants serve their version here, but it's not the same :(

Well, there goes that new food idea:

Can't stand gravy, and I'm lactose intolerant. Could use lactose free cheese, but I still hate gravy so it won't do me any good. :(

Any variations?
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I know folks around here aren't fans of the use of 'bad' foods.....but I assure you, there's not much 'good' in poutine. (A pile of deep fried French fries, smothered in gravy and topped with wads of cheese curds and bacon).

It's my weakness. It has WAY more calories than I could logically burn off in a day......so I just don't.
    I tell myself "If I think it's such a good idea today, then it will be a good idea tomorrow"

OMG I LOVE poutine!!! I ate it by the pound when I was visiting Canada. Some restaurants serve their version here, but it's not the same :(

Can't stand gravy, and I'm lactose intolerant. Could use lactose free cheese, but I still hate gravy so it won't do me any good. :(

Any variations?

How about with bolognese sauce and italian sausage?
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite burgers used to be the bacon guacamole burger at Red Robin. Clocks in around 900 calories I think (minus any mayo)... I've started making my own burgers at home and find they are just as satisfying, not as greasy (easier on the digestion for me) and I eat 2 of my homemade burgers for far less than 900 calories. Not to mention way cheaper!
    I use 93% lean beef - 4oz per patty, spinach, thin sliced tomato, and lots of fresh jalapeno slices. I might get crazy and start adding slices of avacado :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

Any variations?

How about with bolognese sauce and italian sausage?

I'm not big on sauces either, but I do love Italian sausage.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I don't just eat something that is a diet train wreck.

I will eat a smaller portion and do extra cardio if I need to in order to stay under my deficit.

For me if I am covered on my basic nutrients and want a piece of two of pizza, that is about 800-1000 calories . I love thick crust meat lovers pizza. So I know I have to bust hump to work it off if I plan to responsibly splurge in my plan.

I can work that in to a day with a little extra work.

I ground out about 750 extra calories yesterday to go to my fav BBQ place and stay on track. And the BBQ was awesome.

But the choice is yours. How you want to manage splurges. Mine are once ever two weeks or so. So far in a year and a half I have lost weight every week. It is math for me.

One day does not make or break you.

The worst thing you can do in my opinion is beat yourself up and then give up.

A day is a mini splurge, giving up and turning it into a week glut is a problem.

Peace

I dont think anyone in this thread has advocated blowing it out on a daily basis.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I'd go get a single slice of pizza, or a small child's burger, or else plan around a larger treat tomorrow. Deprivation isn't a good way to build a positive relationship with food.
  • heartsstarspll
    heartsstarspll Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It's totally fine to have things that you like! I know everyone has their preferences and ideas of what is worth calories to them. I definitely wouldn't eat something I didn't really want! I started out in March doing low carb, but then around May I decided, you know what? I can't see myself never eating spaghetti or pizza again. So I transitioned back to just eating what I like, but within my calories. When we make spaghetti there is enough for 4-5 meals usually, so I eat it for dinner, within my calories until it's gone. I just don't try to stuff down 2 bowls of the stuff like I would when I'm not watching my calories.. which always just made me sick anyway. lol I don't feel bad at all and I am still losing weight, just as quickly as when I was denying myself a lot of things I love! :)

As far as poutine goes... I've never had it. The closest thing I've had is fries with parmesan cheese melted on them. That is really good. But I don't like gravy.. except maybe sausage gravy very rarely. lol
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Any variations?

Yes. As much as I bash (and at the same time love) poutine, I have respect for its original formulation. These days you can get poutine with souvlaki on it, poutine with pulled pork, poutine with smoked meat, poutine with lasagna, vegan poutine, I'm sure I'm missing some. I'm not sure the curds or gravy are even essential at this point. Which to me really undermines the very notion of a poutine. Basically, you can put whatever the hell you want on some fries and call it a poutine.