Beta Blockers

2»

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Azdak wrote: »
    The decrease in heart rate does not indicate a lowering of "metabolism ". You cannot measure or quantify anything by analyzing changes in either exercise or resting heart rate. A lower heart rate during exercise from a beta blocker does NOT mean one is burning fewer calories. Starting a beta blocker can result in an initial 6% or so reduction in VO2 Max, so one might feel ones high-intensity effort is somewhat affected, but that is not "lowered metabolism".
    just one reference, I'm sure there are many more like it.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/18413-beta-blockers-weight-gain-side/#page=1

I did not specifically address metabolism. I only said that you cannot determine a possible change in metabolism by looking at changes in resting heart rate. You described an elaborate calculation from which you claim to have quantified a specific decrease in metabolic rate and calorie burn. I was pointing out that those numbers had no basis in reality.

• Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    999tigger wrote: »
    It's a difference of about 150 to 200 calories per day on the 4 to 5 days I work out per week. I guess that's a lot to me, especially when I get to maintaining again. I'm a small person and maybe it wouldn't affect someone with a larger calorie budget.

If by your calculation its costing you 175 calories a day for 4.5 days a week, then that would be 40950 calories a year, so 11.7lbs. Youve been on hem for 2 years, so that would be over 20lbs. have you gained 20lbs? Thats far in excess of the 2-4lbs described at the effect of some bb. If you are convinced its an umportnat part of your weight issue, then go for it. You could find one of the newer types thats not associated with weight gain. Why arent such large weight gains being recorded as a side effect?

I think youd get more benefit by just making sure your logging is accurate and working a bit harder at the gym. I dont believe the BB or a slighlt lower hr are as much of an issue as you think, but its your choice. People have naturally differing heart rates, older people have lower maximum heart rates, but they lose just fine.

No I gained 15 pounds, which is between the 4 ans 9 percent. The fact that we just read the American Heart association article that stated the possible effect means that it is being recorded, like it actually happens, that's why it was published. Side effects on medications are only recorded in clinch trials over the time the medication was studied and only the side effects that took place in those persons studied as required by law.
    Most beta blockers are old school meds, been around for years and weren't studied in woman. Before the 1985 time frame most meds were studied in men of an average weight, about 150 to 175 pounds.
    I'm likely best at changing meds, most doctors listen to request like this and do a trial run when patients are informed.
    I was truely just curious to see how these meds affect other athletes and people who excersie on a regular.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    The decrease in heart rate does not indicate a lowering of "metabolism ". You cannot measure or quantify anything by analyzing changes in either exercise or resting heart rate. A lower heart rate during exercise from a beta blocker does NOT mean one is burning fewer calories. Starting a beta blocker can result in an initial 6% or so reduction in VO2 Max, so one might feel ones high-intensity effort is somewhat affected, but that is not "lowered metabolism".
    just one reference, I'm sure there are many more like it.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/18413-beta-blockers-weight-gain-side/#page=1

I did not specifically address metabolism. I only said that you cannot determine a possible change in metabolism by looking at changes in resting heart rate. You described an elaborate calculation from which you claim to have quantified a specific decrease in metabolic rate and calorie burn. I was pointing out that those numbers had no basis in reality.

I stand corrected, that is true. However decrease heart rate is a clinical manifestation and an indication of many other signs and symptoms. People who are bradycardic can experience coldness of the exteimities, decrease activity and energy levels. So one could determine through observation and history that without weight loss, even gain, a decrease in metabolic rate is taking place.The pathophysiology of many bodily processes are not not directly observed, but an understanding of different parts can paint a detailed picture.