Over eat then under eat?

Options
123457»

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Im hoping to get some guidance from you. Is your calorie goal a set number of calories? My goal is 1200.... But if I add my exercise then my fitness pal ups my calorie goal... seems so counter intuitive... Im not an idiot but what i am doing is not working .....

That's the way MFP is setup to work... your daily calorie goal is calculated based on your weight loss goal and it DOES NOT factor in exercise. So when you log exercise, you're changing the equation and MFP adjusts for you.

Basically it's saying that, with your age, weight and lifestyle, you should lose weight at 1200 cals per day without doing any exercise. When you do exercise, you change your lifestyle (go from sedentary to some degree of active), and MFP adjusts for you. It's trying to keep your intake at some reasonably healthy level (not too low).
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I'd cut back a little the next couple of days, but wouldn't be eating like 500 calories or anything to make up for it.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,718 Member
    Options
    A lot of regimes use this strategy exactly. Google 5:2 intermittent fasting, for example. There are some 5:2 groups on the forums.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Your body is on a 24 hour clock. Sorry. You can't make stuff up. You can of course log a bad day and do better tomorrow and the next day. :)

I hope you're being sarcastic?

Your body is NOT on a 24 hour clock, at least not when it comes to weight loss. What matters is your overall calorie intake over time. If you're generally eating less than you burn, you'll lose weight.

What a lot of people (inlcuidng myself) do is look at our WEEKLY goals instead of daily. I net about 1400 calories a day, which is 9800 per week. As long as at the end of the week I'm at or below 9800 calories, I'm going to lose weight right on track... even if I went over a couple days.

So the short answer is yes, you can go over and make up for it the next day. I do it all the time and have had great success.

THANK YOU!