Looking for a good weight loss diet!

Options
So I'm searching for a good diet to aid my weight loss journey, I am 5'5" and 144lbs roundabout.
I'm hoping to lose 22lbs atleast. I'm not really certain, but really I'm no professional on this, it's a rough estimate, I just want to get my body fit, toned and lose those trouble spots.
I'm not following a particular diet currently, I eat about 1200 calories a day, alongside with 90 minutes of circuit training throughout the day (JM 30 DS, JM Killer Buns & Thighs and JM 6 Weeks 6 Pack), and finally at the end of my day I take a brisk walk for 60 minutes.

I'm certain I'll get 1200 calories is not enough comments... maybe!, but honestly I'm not sure what is enough.
I'm hoping to reach my goal by the beginning of October, is it unrealistic? I have no clue.

Now I search the net and find endless supplies of fad diets, and I really want something good, healthy, not too pricey and effective!
I could most definitely just make sure I eat a certain amount of calories everyday, but I'll be honest, following a plan is fun!
Does anyone have any great diet plans?

Thank you! :D

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    KirstenAF wrote: »
    So I'm searching for a good diet to aid my weight loss journey, I am 5'5" and 144lbs roundabout.
    I'm hoping to lose 22lbs atleast. I'm not really certain, but really I'm no professional on this, it's a rough estimate, I just want to get my body fit, toned and lose those trouble spots.
    I'm not following a particular diet currently, I eat about 1200 calories a day, alongside with 90 minutes of circuit training throughout the day (JM 30 DS, JM Killer Buns & Thighs and JM 6 Weeks 6 Pack), and finally at the end of my day I take a brisk walk for 60 minutes.

I'm certain I'll get 1200 calories is not enough comments... maybe!, but honestly I'm not sure what is enough.
    I'm hoping to reach my goal by the beginning of October, is it unrealistic? I have no clue.

Now I search the net and find endless supplies of fad diets, and I really want something good, healthy, not too pricey and effective!
    I could most definitely just make sure I eat a certain amount of calories everyday, but I'll be honest, following a plan is fun!

So

You've logged into MFP and set up your details and it's given you a calorie limit (no doubt you set a goal of 2lb loss per week .. change it to 1 or 1.5 at the most)

Eat that

Log 50% of the calories from your exercise

Eat those too

Eat foods you love but weigh and measure them - if you're hungry then learn from that and substitute higher calorie things for lower calorie things .. learn how to work your daily / weekly eating to fit in with your life

If you're looking for recipes try www.skinnytaste.com or the Recipe board on MFP

If you're looking for ideas on foods .. what do you love
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    No diet, just deficit.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of flexible dieting. Eat the foods you like in a way that you maintain a moderate calorie deficit and appropriate macros. Also be sure to get in enough fiber. That will have you eating a lot of whole foods, but it's ok to fit in some treat foods if you can make them fit into your nutritional goals.

As for calories, what I do and what I recommend to people is to eat at a calorie level that allows you to make good progress towards your goal. If you are trying to lose weight, eat so you drop 1-2 lbs/week. This assumes an average calorie burn from you getting in all of your workouts. This will be different for everyone, so you'll have to do some trial and error to figure it out. I'd start ~1600 cal/day. Hit this goal, along with your macros and getting in your workouts, for 2 weeks. If you lose 1-2 lbs/week, you're good to go. If you lose too much, increase your intake and repeat. If you don't lose enough, reduce your intake a bit and repeat. After a few cycles, you'll figure out what works for you in your situation.
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    No diet, just deficit.

Yep.

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

So

You've logged into MFP and set up your details and it's given you a calorie limit (no doubt you set a goal of 2lb loss per week .. change it to 1 or 1.5 at the most)

Eat that

Log 50% of the calories from your exercise

Eat those too

Eat foods you love but weigh and measure them - if you're hungry then learn from that and substitute higher calorie things for lower calorie things .. learn how to work your daily / weekly eating to fit in with your life

If you're looking for recipes try www.skinnytaste.com or the Recipe board on MFP

If you're looking for ideas on foods .. what do you love

+1

To lose weight OP, all you need is a calorie deficit. You can still enjoy the foods that you like, but it may be less of them.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Dani9585 wrote: »
    No diet, just deficit.

Yep.

Thirded...
  • KirstenAF
    KirstenAF Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone this was really helpful!
    Do you think that my goal is realistic?
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options

For me, it wouldn't be. It sounds as though you want to lose about 22 pounds in 8 weeks which is a pretty large amount for that time frame. Generally the most that you should lose unless you have a lot to lose is about a pound and a half to two pounds per week. At your size you would probably do a half a pound to a pound per week.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options

For me, it wouldn't be. It sounds as though you want to lose about 22 pounds in 8 weeks which is a pretty large amount for that time frame. Generally the most that you should lose unless you have a lot to lose is about a pound and a half to two pounds per week. At your size you would probably do a half a pound to a pound per week.

sigh, I apparently can't math :-). it appears that you actually have 14 weeks, which would be doable for you :-)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    At 22 you can eat more than 1200 calories & still lose weight. 1200 is just MFP's lowest minimum default....for those with aggressive weekly goals.....and petite senior ladies. The 1200 MFP gave you is BEFORE exercise. Don't trust MFP calorie burns though.....eat back about 50-60%.

As you get closer to goal you will want to focus on less cardio (Jillian's stuff is typically 50% cardio)....and more strength training. Strength training (and eating enough calories & meeting protein goals) will help you keep more existing lean muscle.

All weight loss is not created equal. Google skinny-fat...only the scale looks good. Fast weight loss sacrifices a larger percentage of lean muscle. This is why time frames are such a bad idea.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

not if done in a healthy sustainable manner....
  • KirstenAF
    Options

sigh, I apparently can't math :-). it appears that you actually have 14 weeks, which would be doable for you :-)

For a second you scared me! Thought I was living in the wrong month!
    Thank you! I'm really not hellbent on losing this much so quickly, this is just my goal weight and I'm hoping to get as close to it if possible by October :)
    It's just me setting a personal little goal to motivate myself somewhat!
  • KirstenAF
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    At 22 you can eat more than 1200 calories & still lose weight. 1200 is just MFP's lowest minimum default....for those with aggressive weekly goals.....and petite senior ladies. The 1200 MFP gave you is BEFORE exercise. Don't trust MFP calorie burns though.....eat back about 50-60%.

As you get closer to goal you will want to focus on less cardio (Jillian's stuff is typically 50% cardio)....and more strength training. Strength training (and eating enough calories & meeting protein goals) will help you keep more existing lean muscle.

All weight loss is not created equal. Google skinny-fat...only the scale looks good. Fast weight loss sacrifices a larger percentage of lean muscle. This is why time frames are such a bad idea.

Thank you for your advice!
    I am aware that the calorie burns aren't 100% accurate :) but honestly I'm not too worried if I'm not burning exactly what the site says, I just enjoy doing my 90 mins of JM and 60 minute walk :)
    I was actually wanting to do strength training here and there.. just need to work out when and what :)
    But thank you so much for your comment! Gave me a lot to ponder on! :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Not really, if you have 8 weeks you should expect about 8 lbs, if you have 14 weeks 12-13 lbs, as you should be aiming for 1 lb/week weight loss, then last 10 or lbs change that to 0.5lbs/week.

losing too fast when you don't have a lot to lose would lead to a larger % of your wight loss coming from lean muscle instead of the fat you want to lose... this is assuming you are looking at losing fat, not just weight (which includes muscle)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

I was actually wanting to do strength training here and there.. just need to work out when and what :)
    check out starting strength, strong lifts 5x5 or New Rules of lifting.
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Lol. Start incorporating some heavy lifting in, that'll help with the "trouble spots" and tone you up. Lifting burns more calories AFTER your workout is complete, just make sure to get some protein in within 30 minutes of your lifting to help muscle recovery. :) I'd maybe up your calories a bit but make sure what you're eating is quality, in my opinion a calorie ISN'T a calorie, there's a difference between eating an apple and a candy bar. :) Pair your nutrient dense foods with avocado too. I know you're just looking for weight loss advice but diet is a huge part of it and what you put in your body to fuel it. :) Drink tons of water too, that is what really got my weight loss going... well that and running. I didn't lost almost 70 lbs by accident! Good luck girly, I think you're beautiful the way you are, but we all have our places we want to be. :)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    5:2

Enough said.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I just upped protein & exercise and decreased simple carbs and am losing a pound per week painlessly.
  • KirstenAF
    edited June 2015
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

check out starting strength, strong lifts 5x5 or New Rules of lifting.

Thank you! For your advice, I will definitely check it out!
  • KirstenAF
    Options
    Lol. Start incorporating some heavy lifting in, that'll help with the "trouble spots" and tone you up. Lifting burns more calories AFTER your workout is complete, just make sure to get some protein in within 30 minutes of your lifting to help muscle recovery. :) I'd maybe up your calories a bit but make sure what you're eating is quality, in my opinion a calorie ISN'T a calorie, there's a difference between eating an apple and a candy bar. :) Pair your nutrient dense foods with avocado too. I know you're just looking for weight loss advice but diet is a huge part of it and what you put in your body to fuel it. :) Drink tons of water too, that is what really got my weight loss going... well that and running. I didn't lost almost 70 lbs by accident! Good luck girly, I think you're beautiful the way you are, but we all have our places we want to be. :)

Thank you for your reply!
    I agree about the difference between an apple and a candy bar, and also I do have a terrible obsession with sweets, I've pulled away from it and happily go for the healthier options.
    Aaaaah I hate avo! Something about that mushy texture, but I'm sure there's some magic way to make it edible :)
    I was actually hoping for a little diet advice to be honest, I always think yes keeping within a calorie range would make me lose weight with exercise... BUT what would an awesome healthy diet do?
    So I'll have to do some research and go on a little shop, I just struggle putting planned meals together, I guess it helps better when I get a plan that tells me what I should be eating!
    Water is good :) I drink about 15 glasses a day minimum, so I'm always sipping.
    My daily walk is about 5km, I walk to meet my husband at my daughters school, do you should a 5km run would be more effective?
    Well done on your weight loss by the way! And thank you so much for your advice! :)