Looking for a good weight loss diet!

Options
2»

Replies

• KirstenAF
    KirstenAF Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I just upped protein & exercise and decreased simple carbs and am losing a pound per week painlessly.

Thank you! I think I should do some work on my protein intake :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Lol. Start incorporating some heavy lifting in, that'll help with the "trouble spots" and tone you up. Lifting burns more calories AFTER your workout is complete, just make sure to get some protein in within 30 minutes of your lifting to help muscle recovery. :) I'd maybe up your calories a bit but make sure what you're eating is quality, in my opinion a calorie ISN'T a calorie, there's a difference between eating an apple and a candy bar. :) Pair your nutrient dense foods with avocado too. I know you're just looking for weight loss advice but diet is a huge part of it and what you put in your body to fuel it. :) Drink tons of water too, that is what really got my weight loss going... well that and running. I didn't lost almost 70 lbs by accident! Good luck girly, I think you're beautiful the way you are, but we all have our places we want to be. :)

Sorry a whole lot of that post is incorrect

Heavy lifting is great but you can't spot reduce

- protein timing is irrelevant, just hit your protein minimum (0.64-0.82g per lb of bodyfat) and fat minimum (0.35g per lb bodyfat) and get your macro and micro nutrients in line

After that in terms of nutrition there's NO difference between calories from an apple and a candy bar

A calorie being a unit of measurement, like an inch or a gramme, is always by definition a calorie

Avocado is delicious but why pair it with nutrient dense foods? It has no magical properties if eaten in a certain way...just good fat...pair it with what it works with ...cottage cheese, tomato and toast for instance

Drink water to stay hydrated ...look for the urine hydration colour chart
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    KirstenAF wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I just upped protein & exercise and decreased simple carbs and am losing a pound per week painlessly.

Thank you! I think I should do some work on my protein intake :)

Nope ...it's the reducing calories in and increasing calories out that is causing weight loss ...how you get there is personal choice
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    5:2

Enough said.

Another way to hit your calorie defecit if it works for you
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Kirstin wrote:
    I'm searching for a good diet to aid my weight loss journey ...
    I really want something good, healthy, not too pricey and effective!
    The only thing that works is to eat less than your body needs.
    Do something which you can sustain the rest of your life.
    Get your mind away from 'diet' as most people (including you) use the term. Diets are temporary.
    Once you stop, you'll go back to eating like you normally eat & weighing what you normally weigh.

Eat what you like, just reasonable portions, and exercise at least 30 minutes per day.
    There. That's not pricey at all, and is proven effective.

I am 5'5" and 144 lb ... I'm hoping to lose 22 lbs at least ...
    I'm hoping to reach my goal by the beginning of October
    Going by BMI, you're already at a healthy weight, though at the top end of the range, so it's going to be slow.
    No, you're not going to lose that much that quickly. Even 0.5 lb/week would be a challenging goal. Reset your MFP info.

I just want to get my body fit, toned and lose those trouble spots.
    For fitness, exercise. Include weightlifting.
    You can't exercise away trouble spots, spot reduce, etc. You can target certain muscles (or groups) to get
    stronger or larger (though for women with normal female hormones, the 'larger' is difficult).

Here's a newbie help post I compiled, which has links to various useful information,
    including sexypants (go read that now) ((yes, right now)),
    then this one about setting realistic goals.
    There's also one about logging & measuring accurately.

This calculator from the Baylor College of Medicine will take into account your age, weight,
    and activity level to tell you how many servings of the various food groups you should be eating to maintain a
    particular weight.
    It says that at 125 lb, if you were inactive, you'd need 1592 cal/day to maintain that weight.
    (Using your stated age of 22, stated height of 5'5".)
    So if you eat that much, while doing at least 30 min/day of moderately intense exercise, you should get to
    that weight. Or nudge the calories down a little (don't go below 1200 unless your doctor says it's OK).

Ignore exercise calories. Most people underestimate what they eat, most machines overestimate calories burned.
    For most people, most of the time, those errors cancel out.

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    in my opinion a calorie ISN'T a calorie, there's a difference between eating an apple and a candy bar
    :sigh:
    Would you ever say "a pound isn't a pound", or maybe "an inch isn't an inch"?
    I doubt it.

For the purpose of gaining/losing weight, it matters not one bit whether you're eating apples or chocolate.
    If you're eating fewer calories than your body needs to run, you will lose weight.

For health, it matters a great deal what you eat. Getting more calories from more natural / less processed foods,
    higher fiber, higher protein, lower fat, lower simple carbs (don't go overboard on any of this) is healthier.
    But plan for treats. I have a box of 40-cal fudgesicles in the freezer at work. I have peanut butter with breakfast
    pretty much every morning, because I like peanut butter.
    If your food choices are not enjoyable, you're not going to be able to sustain the life change.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    in my opinion a calorie ISN'T a calorie, there's a difference between eating an apple and a candy bar
    :sigh:
    Would you ever say "a pound isn't a pound", or maybe "an inch isn't an inch"?
    I doubt it.

For the purpose of gaining/losing weight, it matters not one bit whether you're eating apples or chocolate.
    If you're eating fewer calories than your body needs to run, you will lose weight.

For health, it matters a great deal what you eat. Getting more calories from more natural / less processed foods,
    higher fiber, higher protein, lower fat, lower simple carbs (don't go overboard on any of this) is healthier.
    But plan for treats. I have a box of 40-cal fudgesicles in the freezer at work. I have peanut butter with breakfast
    pretty much every morning, because I like peanut butter.
    If your food choices are not enjoyable, you're not going to be able to sustain the life change.

what she said
  • Cathina1967
    Cathina1967 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am so confused now.

What does: "Log 50% of the calories from your exercise" mean?

"I just upped protein & exercise and decreased simple carbs and am losing a pound per week painlessly."
    Please could you explain how much you upped your protein to? And what are simple carbs? And what did you decrease them to?

"hit your protein minimum (0.64-0.82g per lb of bodyfat) and fat minimum (0.35g per lb bodyfat) and get your macro and micro nutrients in line"
    .... is there anywhere online that can explain this in simple terms? I have been reading alot online but I still don't get it in simple terms.

Yes, sorry, I am a bit simple.
  • jenniblue6
    jenniblue6 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It is not that easy for everyone. A good start is to change one meal.
    A great lunch or dinner would be a Brown-Rice Salad with Spinach and Tomatoes and of course, water or green tea to drink. This meal is also a great choice for a detox.
    Enjoy!

((2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
    1 garlic clove, minced
    Coarse salt and ground pepper
    2 cups cooked brown rice
    1 medium cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and sliced
    2 cups baby spinach
    1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved))
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    jenniblue6 wrote: »
    A great lunch or dinner would be a Brown-Rice Salad with Spinach and Tomatoes and of course, water or green tea to drink. This meal is also a great choice for a detox.
    Enjoy!

1 garlic clove, minced
    2 cups cooked brown rice
    2 cups baby spinach

What does it detox?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Enjoy!

1 garlic clove, minced
    2 cups cooked brown rice
    2 cups baby spinach

What does it detox?

Also curious.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Enjoy!

1 garlic clove, minced
    2 cups cooked brown rice
    2 cups baby spinach

Changing one meal will not help if the rest of your day puts your over your calorie goal unfortunately

I could eat that, as a side dish, it sounds kind of nice. I'm interested in what you believe it would detox though?
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Enjoy!

1 garlic clove, minced
    2 cups cooked brown rice
    2 cups baby spinach

Does this detox your soul? :lol:
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Enjoy!

1 garlic clove, minced
    2 cups cooked brown rice
    2 cups baby spinach
    That's a *kitten*-ton of rice for one meal.

• KirstenAF
    KirstenAF Posts: 33 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I think the best "plan" would be to eat foods that you enjoy, which you weigh to ensure that you are eating the number of calories that you think you are, and be sure to log everything that you eat, and that it is less than your TDEE. I don't buy into "plans" such as low/no carb, eat this not that, no fast food, you can never have ice cream again, etc. You're not going to eat that way the rest of your life, so don't force yourself to now! Since you think following a "plan", I'm sure you'll enjoy doing this too!

Find stuff you enjoy, try to meet macro goals. It sounds like you are on the right track. (and this "detox" stuff people are posting about; it's crap. You have these lovely things called livers and kidneys that do that for you, providing you're not an alcoholic and have damaged them, lol.) Good luck!
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I think the best "plan" would be to eat foods that you enjoy, which you weigh to ensure that you are eating the number of calories that you think you are, and be sure to log everything that you eat, and that it is less than your TDEE. I don't buy into "plans" such as low/no carb, eat this not that, no fast food, you can never have ice cream again, etc. You're not going to eat that way the rest of your life, so don't force yourself to now! Since you think following a "plan", I'm sure you'll enjoy doing this too!

Find stuff you enjoy, try to meet macro goals. It sounds like you are on the right track. (and this "detox" stuff people are posting about; it's crap. You have these lovely things called livers and kidneys that do that for you, providing you're not an alcoholic and have damaged them, lol.) Good luck!

This is great advice.

See, here's the thing about losing weight: it's a slow process. There are no magic pills or magic diets. At best, at the VERY BEST, if you can somehow manage the hunger associated with it, a large calorie deficit is going to net you 3 lbs. per week weight loss. A more reasonable expectation is about 1 lb. per week.

So do the math. How much weight do you want to lose? Suppose you want to lose 30 lbs. Well, at a lb. per week, that's 30 weeks. So you need to eat in a manner that you can sustain for a long time!

Drastic, restrictive diets do not work long-term. This is why people fail. No one can do a "diet" for 30 weeks.

What do you think you can reasonably do for 30 weeks? Eat foods you like, in moderation, count calories, and get a bit of exercise to help create a wider deficit? Yep, probably.

Most of the people who are successful at weight loss understand this is a long-haul journey. It's going to take time, it's going to be slow, and you're going to have to be patient and consistent. You go look at the success stories on this site: they usually took a long time, because weight loss that lasts takes time.

Eat foods you can enjoy in portions that fit your calorie requirements. You'll be able to sustain such a diet, and you'll win in the end.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    ketorach wrote: »
    Enjoy!

1 garlic clove, minced
    2 cups cooked brown rice
    2 cups baby spinach
    That's a *kitten*-ton of rice for one meal.

LOL....you add a couple of bananas and you won't be "detoxing" for a few days!