Do you stretch?

Options
13»

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22692125And this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22692125

**Sorry, URL feature isn't quite doing this right.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    husseycd wrote: »
    I'm actively working on increasing flexibility, so I always stretch. I do a light, dynamic stretch session at the beginning of workouts, then often stretch between sets on leg days, with a more intense stretch session at the end of my workout.

I'm curious about what the "minimal benefits" of stretching is referencing. Soreness? Mobility? Increased flexibility? I know for sure stretching increases flexibility and improves mobility. It takes forever, but it works. I doubt it reduces soreness, though.

The benefits of stretching are going to be in one's mobility or in other words, our ability to move as intended. Soreness is more of a factor of micro-damage done to the muscle during the training. Will mobility reduce soreness associated, I could not say, probably not. One could make the argument that incorrect movement is more stressful on the muscles and could lead to more damage, though I'm not sure if that's been directly researched. We do know however, that over time if you're not moving correctly it can lead to injury so it could be a reasonable association perhaps, but again I'm not aware of that kind of research.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I do dynamic stretching before my workouts (jumping jacks, leg lifts, etc) and static stretching after. I credit it with helping me to avoid injury, especially when it comes to running.

I guess maybe I don't think of that stuff as stretching but maybe it is...I think of stretching more as the part where you're trying to touch your toes.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I didn't and now I regret it as I have a knee injury... tight quads one of the problems.

Depending on the exercise, if it is thai boxing ( which I can only do 1-2 a week at the moment) I foam roll and stretch before and after. Other stuff, like walking my dogs, stationary bike , body weight stuff, I stretch and foam roll after

My knee feels a lot better after stretching the quads
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22692125And this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22692125

**Sorry, URL feature isn't quite doing this right.

Be careful when referencing only the abstract of a study. I do not believe it stated who the population was being studied. It would be useful to know if it was referencing elite athletes, recreational active, or previously untrained or sedentary, because it will make a huge difference in-terms of how the experiment group reacts to the treatment / intervention. Furthermore you don't know the exact treatment. If the PSS was being done for 60+ sec's per stretch, then yes that makes sense and it's something that's pretty well-known. Again, just be careful with this type of information; it's definitely a thing of "a little knowledge is dangerous."
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I didn't used to stretch. But over the years I've had several injuries, and often it's been due to my lack of stretching. Including presently. My PT has given me stretches to do prior to exercise, and throughout the day. I walk around a bit to warm up the muscles then I stretch. I stretch after a workout. I foam roll. I do yoga.
    Because, when I come back from this injury, I refuse to let stretching be the reason why I am unable to exercise again.
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I walk 5+ minutes before and after my run. No static stretching . . . the walking limbers me up, and cools me down.
  • healthnut050
    healthnut050 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You should stretch before and after your workout, at least give yourself 5 minutes.
  • babshier88
    babshier88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Before I workout or exercise I only do short and quick burst like stretches that dont stretch the muscle out too much. After the workout I will do the normal stationary and lengthy stretches like touching your toes, butterfly, etc.
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Clarewho wrote: »
    I have a feeling current advice is only stretch afterwards? Someone more knowledgeable will no doubt correct me

Actually that's not going to be true, people should do some mobility work before the train. Now, the actual stretching prescription is going to be individualized because most people will have different needs. Stretching is important because if your muscles are not working correctly then you will not perform the exercises correctly and you risk injury or at the very least have a less effective workout.

Pre-workout, definitely do some kind of warm-up & mobility work. For some it could be as easy as a 5 to 10 min dynamic session and for some they may need 20-min's and some combination of SMR, Static-Stretching, and Active Stretching; it just depends on the individual.

^^This... dynamic 'warm-up' stretches before and static stretches after... it does a body good.

^This is what I do. I also do a lot of static stretching separately, just in the living room when we're watching tv and stuff, I love it.
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I follow the New Rules of Lifting advice. Easy stretches before lifting. Comfortable stretch and foam rolling post workout. At night I stretch with a fitness ball.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I always stretch before, not so much afterwards :# I do some easy yoga moves on my off days, really helps me stretch everything out when I'm sore and don't feel like moving.