Replies

• Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    Jackie9950 wrote: »
    Oh and what are your current macro goals?

Whatever MFP told me to do:

P 23
    F 27
    C 50

I am usually right on with fat, low on carbs, and high on Protein.

Fat and Protein you can look at more like minimums and carb as a maximum-Hopefully that made sense...coffee wearing off.

So, I am doing ok with those, right?

Those are the %'s you listed. Protein should be around 0.8g per pound of body weight. Take your weight and then times it by the 0.8g and that should be around your protein goal. I'm eating around 130G of protein/ 50G Fat/ 130G carb.

Wow, that's 158.4g! Right now I eat around 120g a day.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people bash PF (myself included because some of the rules are insane) but I will say this- it was a good stepping stone for me when I first started using weights and machines. I just out grew them and had to move on haha.
  • Jackie9950
    Options
    I know a lot of people bash PF (myself included because some of the rules are insane) but I will say this- it was a good stepping stone for me when I first started using weights and machines. I just out grew them and had to move on haha.

Agreed. $10/month was hard to pass up. The gym was more than I had beforehand and I have lost 30 lbs in 101 days with forming good eating habits and the exercise. I feel I will grow out of it too, but for now, as long as they have what everyone is telling me I need, it works. :)
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    free food is a bad thing? send me all your unwanted bagels & pizza.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Oh and what are your current macro goals?

Whatever MFP told me to do:

P 23
    F 27
    C 50

I am usually right on with fat, low on carbs, and high on Protein.

Fat and Protein you can look at more like minimums and carb as a maximum-Hopefully that made sense...coffee wearing off.

So, I am doing ok with those, right?

Those are the %'s you listed. Protein should be around 0.8g per pound of body weight. Take your weight and then times it by the 0.8g and that should be around your protein goal. I'm eating around 130G of protein/ 50G Fat/ 130G carb.

Wow, that's 158.4g! Right now I eat around 120g a day.

Actually it should be 0.8-1.0 grams per lb of lean body mass. If you are say 25% BF% that would be 118.8 to148.5, if you don't know your BF% a good guide is 0.8grams per lb of goal body weight.
  • TaurianDoll
    TaurianDoll Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite "tools" is Muscle and Fitness Hers. I like to peruse the website and the magazine to find interesting and challenging routines. I also like the level of detail they go into to ensure you're using proper form.

I also like bodybuilding.com. That's what I use when I want to find a new routine.

Also, I'm not sure how many days you're setting aside to do weight lifting but some of the popular combinations or splits are:

Example:

Day 1: Back and biceps

Day 2: Shoulders and chest

Day 3: Legs

Day 4: HIIT calisthenics and core

OR

Push day (work the muscles you typically use to push with)
    Pull day (work the muscles you typically use to pull with)
    ^^This combination works for me because I can only get to the weight room twice a week. It lends itself to fit in a full body workout.
  • erickirb
    edited June 2015
    Options
    One of my favorite "tools" is Muscle and Fitness Hers. I like to peruse the website and the magazine to find interesting and challenging routines. I also like the level of detail they go into to ensure you're using proper form.

I also like bodybuilding.com. That's what I use when I want to find a new routine.

Also, I'm not sure how many days you're setting aside to do weight lifting but some of the popular combinations or splits are:

Example:

OR

^^This combination works for me because I can only get to the weight room twice a week. It lends itself to fit in a full body workout.

I like that better than some crazy split routine, but better yet is a 2-3 day/week full body routine for beginners for the OP. Once strength gains are maxed out on that going into a split is a good option.

You will build up strength quicker with full body multiple day's per week focusing on compound lifts and that way you will have a good strength base should be achieved prior doing body building style or other split routines.
  • TaurianDoll
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

Better yet still, is a 2-3 day/week full body routine for beginners. Once strength gains are maxed out on that first is suggested prior going into a split. You will build up strength quicker that way and having a good strength base should be achieved prior doing body building style or other split routines.

I totally agree. I was trying my best not to over complicate it. But yeah going into a 2-3 day full body workout routine for 3-5 weeks is perfect to build overall strength and balance.

Work on proper form with lower weights. If you allow your form to suffer (e.g. the proper way to do the exercise) then that could lead to injury. Always start with a low weight when learning how to lift properly.

• TaurianDoll
    Options
    One more thing (I promise and then I will leave you alone), I go to a PF because it's convenient and inexpensive. As I said before, I can only make it to the weight room twice a week. My other option is the Y for $70/month. Yes they have a pool and classes but with a full time job, husband, and a baby there is no way I can take advantage of all of that so PF works just fine for me. With the free weights, machines, and cardio equipment, it does the job. I don't partake in the pizza and sheet cake though. That is the weirdest thing ever.

At the end of the day, it's a gym and it works. You are there to workout and go home and it offers the equipment to do so.
  • Jackie9950
    Options

Example:

OR

I like that better than some crazy split routine, but better yet is a 2-3 day/week full body routine for beginners for the OP. Once strength gains are maxed out on that going into a split is a good option.

You will build up strength quicker with full body multiple day's per week focusing on compound lifts and that way you will have a good strength base should be achieved prior doing body building style or other split routines.

Better yet still, is a 2-3 day/week full body routine for beginners. Once strength gains are maxed out on that first is suggested prior going into a split. You will build up strength quicker that way and having a good strength base should be achieved prior doing body building style or other split routines.

I totally agree. I was trying my best not to over complicate it. But yeah going into a 2-3 day full body workout routine for 3-5 weeks is perfect to build overall strength and balance.

Work on proper form with lower weights. If you allow your form to suffer (e.g. the proper way to do the exercise) then that could lead to injury. Always start with a low weight when learning how to lift properly.

Both excellent advice. I really like the "push" and "pull" days. Very simplistic.
  • Jackie9950
    Options
    One more thing (I promise and then I will leave you alone), I go to a PF because it's convenient and inexpensive. As I said before, I can only make it to the weight room twice a week. My other option is the Y for $70/month. Yes they have a pool and classes but with a full time job, husband, and a baby there is no way I can take advantage of all of that so PF works just fine for me. With the free weights, machines, and cardio equipment, it does the job. I don't partake in the pizza and sheet cake though. That is the weirdest thing ever.

At the end of the day, it's a gym and it works. You are there to workout and go home and it offers the equipment to do so.

I understand. Work, husband that works overnights, a 5 year old and an 18 month old. I feel luck I can see a gym everyday. I usually end up there at 6:30am during the week, because it's when I have time.

No one understand the pizza and begals LOL
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    My question (you thought I would never get to it, huh?) is how does one decide on a lifting routine? I would like to be able to have "lifting days" where I do legs one day and arms the next, and back another, so on so forth.

Those sorts of routines are called "splits", and are generally reserved for advanced lifters who have built a strong based by doing years of compound lifts.

Generally, beginner/intermediate lifting routines will have you focus on the big compound lifts (lifts that work more than one muscle group at a time). As a beginner, you get the greatest benefit from this, and grow stronger quickly. Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Overhead Press, Rows, Pullups, Dips...

All the routines listed here are great starting points. I started with StrongLifts 5x5. I can't recommend it enough. It's a great way to start out.

Lifting heavy will help you preserve muscle mass while you're cutting calories. You may not see your weight come off any faster, but you can be secure in the knowledge that the weight that is coming off is more fat and less muscle, and that's going to benefit you when you reach your goals.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the starter programs like StrongLifts.

• geekandgranola
    geekandgranola Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Jackie are those macros in grams and per day or per meal? Converted to calories that would only be 535 calories so I'm hoping that's not a per day plan.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    splits are for bodybuilders

it really doesn't get any simpler than that
  • rgrz82
    rgrz82 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Search Jim Wendler 5/3/1. That's an excellent program to follow to build up strength.
  • erickirb
    edited June 2015
    Options
    rgrz82 wrote: »
    Search Jim Wendler 5/3/1. That's an excellent program to follow to build up strength.

that is an intermediate program. best advice it so max out on something like starting strength or stronglifts 5x5, them maybe on to Madcow, then to Wendler, or jump to Wendler if you want something different at the time. I am running Wendler and love it, though much much slower progress than a newbie can achieve on Starting strength or strong lifts.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    rgrz82 wrote: »

that is an intermediate program. best advice it so max out on something like starting strength or stronglifts 5x5, them maybe on to Madcow, then to Wendler, or jump to Wendler if you want something different at the time. I am running Wendler and love it, though much much slower progress than a newbie can achieve on Starting strength or strong lifts.

+1 on this
  • Jackie9950
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Jackie are those macros in grams and per day or per meal? Converted to calories that would only be 535 calories so I'm hoping that's not a per day plan.

I was putting down percentages and per day. I just looked up under Nutrition, then macros. Sorry I should have specified.