HELP! Sodium.

Options
I didn't realize how much sodium is in everything and oh my gosh.

What foods do you guys eat that don't have much sodium? :D

Replies

• madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Fresh, non processed foods.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I pretty much cook most of food from scratch ~ it helps!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    True. But I put salt on them to make up for this shortcoming.

• madhatter2013
    Options
    So, OP is asking for food ideas to get less sodium in her diet and you're replying with ways to add even more? Why are you here?
  • Jaxxie1181
    Jaxxie1181 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Relying as little as possible on processed and canned foods. Choose frozen veggies whenever possible. Make meals yourself. Avoid pre-seasoned chicken products and season meat yourself with a salt-free seasoning blend, like Mrs. Dash. And if you have a day you consume a little more sodium, increase your potassium and drink lots of water.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    So, OP is asking for food ideas to get less sodium in her diet and you're replying with ways to add even more? Why are you here?
    To emphasize that unless she has a medical condition or it's otherwise causing her problems, it's almost assuredly not worth worrying about.

If she does, or it is, she can just not add the salt. It's pretty straightforward.

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    OP, @Jaxxie1181 has good suggestions. Also cooking from scratch, as was mentioned.

Experiment with other spices. There are lots of them out there and you'll find new flavors that you love.

Also, if you buy canned vegetables you can spend a few cents more on the "no salt added" ones, or just drain the liquid the vegetables are canned in and then rinse them.

Read labels when you shop. I'm not saying avoid all sodium, but I can eat much more healthfully if I monitor the added sodium and sugar in foods.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

This ^^

Sodium is in most foods, but most fresh unaltered foods don't have a lot. Make your meals from fresh/frozen ingredients without a lot of additives and controlling sodium is pretty easy.
  • madhatter2013
    Options
    To emphasize that unless she has a medical condition or it's otherwise causing her problems, it's almost assuredly not worth worrying about.

If she does, or it is, she can just not add the salt. It's pretty straightforward.

Which is interesting because your first post said nothing about medical reason or any kind of emphasis to not worry about it. We're not mind readers and my crystal ball is on back order so saying what you mean might a good way to go. Oh and, she's talking about foods that already have the salt added, not adding salt to them. I'm not sure you read the post properly to catch all that so I'm happy to spell it out for you.
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options

Not always. If you weren't raised to cook and read labels then she's learning a new thing here and is asking for help. I don't know if that's the case here or not.

Also, I don't have health problems, but I watch extra sodium and sugar. I don't log my food or track my calories, but I do read labels to see exactly what is in something. It's just a good habit to learn.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Fresh vegetables or plain frozen vegetables
    Fresh or frozen fruit
    Dry beans & lentils
    Fresh meats
    Eggs
    Milk, yogurt
    some cheeses aren't bad but others are higher sodium
    Just do a search for low sodium foods or low sodium diet and you can easily get a list.
    ucsfhealth.org/education/guidelines_for_a_low_sodium_diet/
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Fresh and frozen vegetables usually don't have much sodium. Canned stuff often does.
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    Fresh and frozen vegetables usually don't have much sodium. Canned stuff often does.

Yes, but as I mentioned in my other post, you can find some that are "no salt added" (even the generic, store brand, so still fairly cheap). Or, if it is corn or green beans or whatever, rinse them in a fine mesh colander.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Which is interesting because your first post said nothing about medical reason or any kind of emphasis to not worry about it. We're not mind readers and my crystal ball is on back order so saying what you mean might a good way to go. Oh and, she's talking about foods that already have the salt added, not adding salt to them. I'm not sure you read the post properly to catch all that so I'm happy to spell it out for you.

I read it as just a smart-*kitten* comment (which I enjoy, btw). I'm sure the OP is smart enough to realize that. Nothing to get worked up about.

• _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    unless she has a medical condition or it's otherwise causing her problems, it's almost assuredly not worth worrying about.
    ^+1
    I don't even bother looking at sodium.
    When my wedding ring gets tight I know I've had a lot and just drink more water.

• AlyssaPGoodiwn
    AlyssaPGoodiwn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

Not always. If you weren't raised to cook and read labels then she's learning a new thing here and is asking for help. I don't know if that's the case here or not.

Also, I don't have health problems, but I watch extra sodium and sugar. I don't log my food or track my calories, but I do read labels to see exactly what is in something. It's just a good habit to learn.

EXACTLY.
    I have never learned to cook nor do i know how still accept for small things ive been learning but i am new to this. <3

Thanks for everyone's help on the matter

• _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    posting just so I don't have 666 posts!
  • DeguelloTex
    edited June 2015
    Options

It also said nothing about the OP's doing it, right?

And, while you're busy reading properly, note that I agreed with you.

• DeguelloTex
    Options

The adding salt if you want to or not is pretty straightforward. As you can see, I agreed that fresh, non-processed foods are typically lower in sodium.

• tulips_and_tea
    Options

EXACTLY.
    I have never learned to cook nor do i know how still accept for small things ive been learning but i am new to this. <3

Thanks for everyone's help on the matter

Then good for you for asking questions and wanting to learn! It takes time and practice, but honestly, reading labels is very helpful.

Example: cans of tomato sauce (not prepared pasta sauce; just plain tomato sauce) has lots of salt added. Instead, I'll buy tomato puree or tomato paste. Depending on brands I just compare labels.

Deli meat is loaded with extra sodium. So is cottage cheese. There is one brand I can buy that is "no salt added" and then I add my own amount. Breads and cereals contain extra sodium. Compare labels, taste different brands and gradually you'll reduce your sodium intake overall. Stick with it and keep posting!