HELP! Sodium.

Options
2»

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    So, OP is asking for food ideas to get less sodium in her diet and you're replying with ways to add even more? Why are you here?
    To emphasize that unless she has a medical condition or it's otherwise causing her problems, it's almost assuredly not worth worrying about.

If she does, or it is, she can just not add the salt. It's pretty straightforward.

Not always. If you weren't raised to cook and read labels then she's learning a new thing here and is asking for help. I don't know if that's the case here or not.

Also, I don't have health problems, but I watch extra sodium and sugar. I don't log my food or track my calories, but I do read labels to see exactly what is in something. It's just a good habit to learn.
    The adding salt if you want to or not is pretty straightforward. As you can see, I agreed that fresh, non-processed foods are typically lower in sodium.

Yes, but since she stated that she is new to this and was never taught to cook her inquiry was more about sodium in prepared foods. That's what I was addressing.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    So, OP is asking for food ideas to get less sodium in her diet and you're replying with ways to add even more? Why are you here?
    To emphasize that unless she has a medical condition or it's otherwise causing her problems, it's almost assuredly not worth worrying about.

If she does, or it is, she can just not add the salt. It's pretty straightforward.

Not always. If you weren't raised to cook and read labels then she's learning a new thing here and is asking for help. I don't know if that's the case here or not.

Also, I don't have health problems, but I watch extra sodium and sugar. I don't log my food or track my calories, but I do read labels to see exactly what is in something. It's just a good habit to learn.
    The adding salt if you want to or not is pretty straightforward. As you can see, I agreed that fresh, non-processed foods are typically lower in sodium.

Yes, but since she stated that she is new to this and was never taught to cook her inquiry was more about sodium in prepared foods. That's what I was addressing.
    Right. But that's not what I said was straightforward, so you took it a tad out of context.

• tulips_and_tea
    Options

Right. But that's not what I said was straightforward, so you took it a tad out of context.

Probably. I just mess around on this site while I'm at work, so I really don't focus as clearly as I should. It's just a time killer at times.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Probably. I just mess around on this site while I'm at work, so I really don't focus as clearly as I should. It's just a time killer at times.
    This is where I'd insert a nodding emoticon if I had one.

• AlyssaPGoodiwn
    AlyssaPGoodiwn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Labels Labels Labels. Okay got it! Thanks so much! <3

Sodium seems to be my biggest problem in my diary.
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options

This is where I'd insert a nodding emoticon if I had one.

Thanks for understanding!
  • tulips_and_tea
    Options
    Labels Labels Labels. Okay got it! Thanks so much! <3

Sodium seems to be my biggest problem in my diary.

You don't have to give exact quantities, but if you list the foods you eat daily or eat the most of we can probably identify where the most sodium is coming from and can offer healthier substitutes.
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options

some people just don't like the taste of salt. I prefer Pepper.

• DeguelloTex
    Options
    andympanda wrote: »

Then it would make a lot of sense for such people not to add salt. OP is concerned with sodium, not taste, it seems. Chances are, this is just because of a default setting in MFP that makes it look scary when it's not really an issue.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    andympanda wrote: »

Then it would make a lot of sense for such people not to add salt. OP is concerned with sodium, not taste, it seems. Chances are, this is just because of a default setting in MFP that makes it look scary when it's not really an issue.

You don't think it's an issue. It is an issue for many people. General guidelines are set for a reason.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Fresh, non processed foods.
    True. But I put salt on them to make up for this shortcoming.

This was great!