Gains

Options
2»

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Good luck.
    I just got back in the gym myself. I had shoulder surgery last year. I have been working out for a week and gained five pounds. I am on a 3,500 calorie diet. I went from 179 to 184.6 pounds. My goal is to reach 200. I am eating good clean calories, but an advice for you is to make homemade shakes with milk, protein, banana, peanut butter, and oatmeal. 950 calories, buy clean and healthy ones. That shake has 70 grams of protein. Staying healthy by eating and exercising can be expensive, so 2-3 shakes a day along with food can keep you on your goal of 40 pounds.

Preciate it man, and yeah that sounds good, and yes eating good is a lil pricey, I'll keep that in mind!

It doesn't have to be expensive. After your 130-150 g approx (.8g per pound of body weight) of protein per day you can fill up the rest of your calorie excess (hopefully around 500 extra)with cheap carbs. Keep the calorie counting clean, eat a balanced diet (and that means normal food, ie pizza, bread doughnuts, fibre, and lots of colorful veg and healthy fats from fish). DOn't fall into the clean eating high protein trap, it's a dinosaur.

Good luck
  • BradW99
    BradW99 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Clean eating and high protein trap? That's not a trap that's just basic. Tell ya what's a trap though, IIFYM.
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    What's up everybody! New to the app, but not to fitness and exercise. I'm a skinny guy and a hardgainer, im working on gaining 40 lbs. I started off weighing about 140. So I'm going on week 2, and I weigh about 142. I'm starting off slow, with low weight and high reps. My calorie intake is about 3100 calories per day. My body now has the proper foundation and knowledge to build on pounds of lean muscle. Having this I will begin to increase weight load, exercise difficulty, and interval lenghts. I'll update results as they happen, always down to make new friends! TX

Good luck. I'm a hardgainer myself. Started off on MFP at the start of last year at the same time I started with a PT. Once I started on the calorie amount I am on now, 4,000 daily, around 8 months ago, my weight finally started to go up. Started off around 55kg with a body fat being very low. I would blame running, now eating enough and fear from my fat days of getting fat again. Am now 66kg. Body fat has gone up as well but nothing to worry about. Have another 4kg to hit until I reach the goal weight and then I switch to maintain. Advice to give to you is to enjoy all the extra food. It is a lot of food so drinking some of the calories helps. If you find it a lot of food, spread out the main meals into 4 meals with 2 snacks. I found pre logging my days helped a lot because I knew when I was eating and what I was eating. Also it prevented situations where its 9pm in the evening, you have 1,000 calories left and you are wondering how to fill it. While I would suggest to eat as healthy as possible, don't forget to have pizzas, beer, ice cream, etc. Good luck.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    GAIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNZZZZZZZZ
  • BradW99
    Options
    @jdscrubs32 you know you just suggested a 19 year old to drink beer. Lol-ing OP if you want to get fat eat all the pizza you want dude.
  • jdscrubs32
    Options
    BradW99 wrote: »
    @jdscrubs32 you know you just suggested a 19 year old to drink beer. Lol-ing OP if you want to get fat eat all the pizza you want dude.

Oops my bad. I live outside the states so legal limit is 18 here. Also not suggesting that he should eat pizza the whole time.
  • BradW99
    Options
    That's cool, I was just pointing it out. Where are you at? He did say he was a hard gainer so maybe he'll need it. In high school I've put away a whole bag of pizza rolls and a 2 liter a few times. Haha
  • jdscrubs32
    Options
    BradW99 wrote: »
    That's cool, I was just pointing it out. Where are you at? He did say he was a hard gainer so maybe he'll need it. In high school I've put away a whole bag of pizza rolls and a 2 liter a few times. Haha

I live in Ireland. Would have done the same myself back then but I was a fat man in those days at that age who played no sports. Like him I'm a hard gainer myself but thankfully the weight/muscle had gone up slowly over the last 8 months. The 4,000 calories daily has surely helped.
  • 4thhorseman
    4thhorseman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The diet for hardgainers can be tricky as putting on to much body fat can be just as hard to get off as gaining lean pounds. You can make plenty of gains by adding just enough calories to go from a 6 pack to a 4 pack, anymore is just more you'll have to lose in the end. Normally I'd suggest keeping things simple however for you I'd suggest keeping a very detailed record of your diet for a few months until you figure out where the sweet spot is for you.