1200 calorie diet

Options

Replies

• jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    eveaugust7 wrote: »
    1200 is a very very low calorie intake and isn't sustainable you'll end up being ill!

I'm sorry, do you know her stats?? I am 4'11, and MFP gives me 1210 for a .5lb weekly loss. I sure as hell exercise to increase that amount, but if I get injured or for whatever reason can't exercise, I'm stuck with 1210, whether you think it's too low or not.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    eved305 wrote: »
    OK my new favorite thing is spaghetti squash. I cut in half and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until I can pinch with a knife. Don't over cook I have done that and it gets mushy. Then get half scrape out the inside and mix with marinara sauce (I use about 1/4 cup) add some garlic and parsley or whatever Italian mix you like to add to pasta, stick back in the skin, add some mozzarella (measure it out based on the servings it has) and sprinkle on top. Broil until cheese melts and enjoy. I eat only the one half. Its amazing and super filling for way under 400 calories!

I need to bookmark this for later!
  • sunnyaz4
    sunnyaz4 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great suggestions. I definitely have to go grocery shopping soon. Won't lie I am a bit skeptical about the spaghetti squash because it's a veggie I haven't used. But in it to win it so I have to be open to new things. Thanks again!
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm interested - what have you tried so far? What did you think of it?
  • DorisSilver50
    DorisSilver50 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of spaghetti squash I eat it multiple times a week:) I split them, clean them out microwave them in a little water (covered) for 9-10 min or so depending on size. Once you can scoop it off the sides easily (don't let it get too mushy though because it tastes gross), spray with ICBINB and sprinkle with No Salt and Pepper...mmmm! I eat it by itself or with some kind of Nutrisystem Italian dish. I save the other one wrapped in fridge for another meal. You can roast just about any vegetables in the oven on a pan sprayed with a little olive oil and sprinkled with garlic, pepper, No Salt, whatever. Asparagus is a big one here in MI because we get it early in the season, I buy lots and clean it, cut it up and freeze it for later use:) I also like to take frozen yellow and zucchini squash and cook it with stewed tomatoes or any of the seasoned diced tomatoes.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    1200 is a very very low calorie intake and isn't sustainable you'll end up being ill!

Not necessarily true. At 5'1" and 105 pounds and at age 60, my TDEE is 1350. I easily did all my loss from 136 pounds on 1200 by selecting a variety of nutritious and bulky food. I was never once ill and I've been at this for three years.
  • DorisSilver50
    DorisSilver50 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

Not true at all, I have been successfully losing weight on a 1200 calorie diet (31+ pounds) over the past 4.5 months. I workout every day 45-60 minutes, I feel wonderful, am off almost all my medications and my lab work is fantastic. I vary between 1200-1350 depending on intensity of my workout. I am 5'4" and started at 165#, 1200 is a perfectly acceptable number of calories.

• susiederkins21
    susiederkins21 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? They have a LOT of healthy options, and the prices are pretty good. My favorite right now is the miso soup broth in the carton, with 8 chicken cilantro mini wontons and some frozen peas in it. It's like 130 calories and very filling. I also like the turkey burgers and a lot of their "guiltless" stuff.
  • susiederkins21
    susiederkins21 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I found when using spaghetti squash as a substitute for actual spaghetti noodles, I liked it a LOT better when I mixed it with the sauce, instead of putting the sauce on top.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have all kinds of 1200 daily intake/meals. Was on 1200 for a long time.
    It can be done very well... even with a snack etc etc Its all about what you eat.

These pictures are a normal daily intake for me...around 1200 calories

Breakfast omelet with zuchinni and bean sprouts 218 calories
    8llmgxv1tlfe.jpg

Lunch crab and left over salad around 200 calories
    rayi2snppfit.jpg

Dinner around the 208 calories
    huj520opvcdo.jpg

and my evening snacks (around the 400 to 500 calories)
    z9zsosdomt82.jpg

7luwly4fyelv.jpg

I log everything to the gram
    and make photos and descriptions for my friends what i eat on a daily basis.

It sure can be done!

• Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    Options

This is not true.
  • asrai50
    asrai50 Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I use cauliflower as a substitute for lots of starchy items. I also use zucchini "noodles" and spaghetti squash a lot. I fond that I dont even miss pasta and rice and actually feel bad when I eat it.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    lol i just eat pasta and rice
    i Just fit it in my calorie allowance thats all
    Why cut out foods?

Here my pasta with shrimps 337 calories for a full plate
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Burn-With-Barn/1389663661362874?fref=nf
    Its all a matter of how you cook. You can eat everything! Only less from some things like pasta

My pancakes with syrup and fruit and yogurt 328 calories
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Burn-With-Barn/1389663661362874?fref=nf

Dont cut your sefl short on a 1200 calories you really dont have too lol

• ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    As another five-footer, balanced between 111 and my 110 goal weight, and at age 56, I actually do very nicely on 1200 calories a day. In fact, I'm right now digesting a satisfying lunch of falafel, rice, cashews and pumpkin seeds, flavored up with some salsa. Total, about 300 calories. This evening will be salmon, salad and fruit flavored yogurt. Total, around 350 calories. Breakfast was pancakes, a big, ripe peach, and coffee. Total, around 370 calories. This meets all my macros at under 1200, has satisfied me completely and now I can decide what to play with to round out the day.

There are, in fact, advantages to being short - the smaller body can be an efficient machine.
  • arv51862
    arv51862 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    53 m here, I've been at 1200 calories since April, & yes it is very sustainable. The most important thing (I think), The lower you go with your calorie count, the more important it becomes to pay close attention to what you are eating to make sure that you a meeting all of your micro-nutrient needs. I try to be right at my calorie target every day, intentionally go over my protein # every day, & do my best to keep carbs, sugars, fats, & sodium within MFP suggested limits each day.
  • arv51862
    arv51862 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    This is probably a terrible answer but for those of us who are less than amazing in the kitchen lol, There are quite a few frozen dinner choices that can easily fit into a 1200 calorie /day plan. weight watchers, lean quisine, etc.
    i'll also piece meals together, grilled chicken, or tuna for protein, little rice & beans for carbs, fresh or frozen veggies. I'll keep some fresh fruits around should I need a snack or a sugar boost, green apples, strawberries, pineapple, etc...
    I will usually also have a protein drink at least once / day as a meal replacement.
  • kristen_wino
    kristen_wino Posts: 67 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm also doing 1200 cals. Trying to lose quickly. But keeping fruit, veg n protein in mind. I enjoy the presidents choice blue menue, egg whites in a carton. I make a 4 egg white omelette.< (60 cals), packed wth spinach, tomato, mushroom, dried dill. Or hot sauce. The veg is also very low cal.
    I drizzle it with Manitoba harvest Hemp Oil. (1 tbls=120 cal)That gives me my Omega 3s it's filling, low cal & yummmm.
  • Santanico75
    Santanico75 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    This was my dinner tonight - chicken thighs, cannellini beans, red onion, red pepper, eggplant, canned tomatoes, paprika, cumin and oregano cooked in a low oven, cauliflower rice, broccoli and green beans = 348 calories :)

aj9OSFD.jpg
  • tho2004_418
    tho2004_418 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love rice!!! But..alas so many calories per cup. Cauliflower rice is an amazing substitute AND you can eat more of it! Cauliflower Tortillas are good too. I agree with people above about spaghetti squash, it's so good and you can do a lot with it!
  • belgarath64
    belgarath64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options

1200 calories can be enough, it really depends on how tall you are too.