1200 calorie diet

Options
sunnyaz4
sunnyaz4 Posts: 15 Member
In need of recipes under 400 calories. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Replies

• rachael00679
    rachael00679 Posts: 186 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com
    Addapinch.com

I also use taste.com.au (I'm Australian)

They are the sites I regularly use for inspiration followed by the thread that is called "show me your food/supper/dinner" or something like that under recipes. Link below...
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/823358/what-do-your-meals-look-like-show-me-pictures#latest
  • DrunkInAGolfCart
    DrunkInAGolfCart Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm still on a big learning curve (and I'm not much of a cook) but in terms of low cal meals I have come across no meal simpler, yummier and low cal as mini "Pizzas" that use the big portabella mushroom tops as the base. Basically, break the stem off, roast them until cooked then spread a standard tomato paste on the underside, add some cheese - roast for a bit more until the cheese is golden brown and you're done. They're SO filling and taste AHMAZING.

The bulk of the calories come from the cheese and you don't need much of it. I use a standard 3 cheese pizza blend which is about 166cals per 50g. You can also add other things to it (I'm going to add some olives next time).

A user on here (who I owe a thousand thank yous to) suggested it when someone asked for a low cal pizza base. It's been invaluabe to me. I've cooked them for my mother and cousin a few times and we all are in love with them.

I'll be interested in seeing what others post here. Hope to find another simple, low cal gem.
  • eveaugust7
    eveaugust7 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    1200 is a very very low calorie intake and isn't sustainable you'll end up being ill!
  • GeemaLeema
    GeemaLeema Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use a lot of recipes from Resourceful Cook because I learnt them in my first year of uni to keep my food shops cheap. But doing myfitnesspal I've learnt to substitute ingredients rather than taking them away to still keep me full e.g. Instead of using a full portion of rice I go half/half with red lentils, use soya milk instead of semi-skimmed, use Frylite spray oil ect. ect.

Salad and fresh veg in a meal also make it more filling and really yummy :)

Then it's just making sure you have some nice low cal snacks to keep the sweet tooth away :)
  • crispaholicshaz
    crispaholicshaz Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    eveaugust7 wrote: »
    1200 is a very very low calorie intake and isn't sustainable you'll end up being ill!
    1200 is the starting point that MFP set most of us.. By the time u add exercise u get more allowance, but then its up to you not to use them up too.. Yesterday i had 1, 093 calories left after burning 1,164 calories during exercise... My food intake was 1,271...

• sunnyaz4
    Options
    Thank you crispaholicshaz, geemaleema, DrunkInAGolfCart, Rachael00679! I'm going to try some recipes these coming weeks. Good to know I won't be stuck in a diet rut. As for my daily calorie intake eveaugust7 I know it seems low, but that's where my doctor set it for me because of my PCOS. And if I add exercise I can add a little more calories. Thank you for your concern though.
  • CandyMonster160
    CandyMonster160 Posts: 153 Member
    Options

This may be true for you, but I find 1200 calories a day very manageable. It's all in how you fill those calories. It doesn't work for some people, but for me personally I'm more than satisfied with my 1200 calories.

I also use Skinnytaste for great recipes, I use her cookbook and website at least 4 times a week. So good!
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    4 ounces of turkey/chicken/top or bottom round or pork chops without the bone. Take a hot pan put half teaspoon olive oil place your meat. Cook until done. Pick any green leaf veggie. broc coliflower cabbage or eggplant cook or steam until tender. Any combo will be under 400 calories
  • sunnyaz4
    Options
    Thanks candymonster160 and br3adman. Two very good suggestions. Will try. Especially the meat and veggie one because it's easy on short notice. Thanks! :-)
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    The trick to this for me is to learn a method for making something (instead of a recipe) then just switch up your meats and veggies. Calorie counts will be pretty close and you wont get bored with making the same stuff all the time.

for example:
    breakfast- whole wheat English muffin breakfast sandwich with chicken sausage patty and an overeasy egg, add different veggies or a slice of cheese. 300- 400 calories depending on brands.

for lunch- make a soup by roasting a bunch of your favorite root vegetables in the oven then blending them with chicken stock and a little milk. add your favorite herbs and seasonings, mustards, hot sauce or whatever you like to change it up. calories vary on this one depending on what veg you choose but you should get a pretty large portion for under 400 calories.

Dinner- Its summer, use your grill! You'll be surprised how great veggies taste when they've been cooked on the grill. Try zucchini, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, onions. Use different marinades every time. Leftover veggies are great in an omelet for breakfast or on a wrap for lunch.

• janisvin
    janisvin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy making quesadillas with Tumaro brand high fiber low carb tortillas. They are only 60 or 70 cals each so you can customize a quesadilla with veggies/salsa/low fat cheese easily for 300-400 cals. Also great as a bread or bun substitute. Good luck!
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Bacon, Egg & Cheese taco (220 - 320 cal)

Small tortilla of your choice, 1 egg (or 3tbs Egg Beaters), 1 Slice Bacon, shredded cheese (8 g), Salsa (~15 g), green onions & diced peppers can be added. Cut bacon into small pieces, and cook until crispy. Set aside and drain grease. Cook onions and peppers (if added), add beaten egg and stir bacon pieces into egg as it cooks. Put cooked ingredients on tortilla and top with cheese and salsa.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Be prepared to love me, for I have found how to make shirataki noodles [those 10 cal noodles; some are 0!] delicious.

SHIRATAKI NOODLE PAD THAI [peanut-y goodness]

1) Drain and rinse noodles.
    2) DRY NOODLES THOROUGHLY. Do not boil.
    3) Throw into pan under medium-high heat. If good enough pan, don't even need oils. Stir occasionally.
    4) After a few min, add sauce of your choosing. MEASURE IT ACCORDING TO THE LABELS. I use Bangkok Peanut Sauce by House of Tsang [sells at Walmart]. It's about 40-45 cal per tablespoon, off the top of my head.

To be honest, that alone is just... Delicious. And it 50-55 calories. From there, you have a few options; you can add a small amount of protein such as a single egg for 60-100 cal [depends on egg and how it is cooked], small low-cal veggies such as mushroom, mung bean sprouts, cabbage, and/or bell pepper. Just keep track of what you add, it is VERY easy to stay below 400 cal with that meal. I like to cook up some shallots in the pan before I add the noodles, but that is totally optional. Just tasty and super low in cal [7 calories per TABLESPOON of chopped shallots; you only need maybe a teaspoon worth].

What I had for lunch; Pad Thai as described above, with roughly 8-10 mung bean sprouts [they are small], teaspoon-ish of shallots, and one egg mixed in. Such low calorie, it is ridiculous for the taste. I like to mix the egg into the noodles as it cooks, but doing a sunny-side up on top of the noodles works for me, too!
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    For those looking to lose 2lbs/week, MyFitnessPlan will recommend this. 1200isplenty is even a popular subreddit on reddit.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Homemade Egg Muffin (~300 cals)

English muffin, 1 egg, canadian bacon, 1 slice cheese (need an egg ring)

Toast english muffin. While toasting, preheat a medium skillet, use non-stick spray to coat bottom of skillet and egg ring. Crack 1 egg into ring, add 1-2 tbs water to skillet outside of the ring and cover. Remove cover when water is evaporated, heat canadian bacon in skillet.

When muffin is toasted, add cheese slice, cooked egg, and top with canadian bacon.
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Take a spaghetti squash. Make lots of holes in it with a good sharp knife. (If you don't have enough holes, it'll explode in the 'wave. I know.) Put it in your microwave on a plate. Cook as long as it takes to soften, turning it over or a half-turn every 10 minutes. Once it's done, cut it in half. Scrape out the seeds in the center with a spoon. Then take a couple forks and scrape out the flesh, which will come out in spaghetti-like strands. You can eat as is, or add sauce.

No, it doesn't taste like spaghetti, but it's still good under sauce. And it's about 42 calories/cup.

• eved305
    eved305 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    OK my new favorite thing is spaghetti squash. I cut in half and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until I can pinch with a knife. Don't over cook I have done that and it gets mushy. Then get half scrape out the inside and mix with marinara sauce (I use about 1/4 cup) add some garlic and parsley or whatever Italian mix you like to add to pasta, stick back in the skin, add some mozzarella (measure it out based on the servings it has) and sprinkle on top. Broil until cheese melts and enjoy. I eat only the one half. Its amazing and super filling for way under 400 calories!
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    smoothies!!! Milk or yogurt + frozen fruit + fresh fruit +blend = breakfast every day under 400, add some coffee with creamer and you are still under 400

salads galore for lunch...almost all veggies are acceptable. just get a low cal dressing and don't use much, skip the cheese and any croutons, crackers or bread. I also take tuna to top the salad. soups can be very low cal if you make them yourself, they also last quite a while so you can spread them out over days of meals.

dinner is game on... i LOVE crock-pot recipes for anything. just be sure to measure everything you can have many meals under 400 calories.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I use Romaine lettuce leafs instead of taco shells when making turkey tacos. You can actually use the leafs to replace any "bread" you may need for a sandwich or burger. One of my favorite ways to use the leafs is as a container for stir frys. Just spoon it in and enjoy!