What is the most filling breakfast for you?

Options
124»

Replies

• lswain1970
    lswain1970 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all of the replies so this may be a repeat but..

Protein shake with at least 20 grams protein with a high fiber fruit or berry blended in. Takes me less than 2 minutes to throw together and drink in the car, but some people make them the night before.

I also try to make sure to have an apple on hand in case I get hungry before lunch (I get migrains triggered by hunger so this is a must for me). But I find that the combination of protein and fiber from the fruit keeps me pretty satisfied for at least 3-4 hours.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    6-8 oz grilled chicken breast, 2 slices of bacon, and 2 egg beaters, 1/3 cup diced potatoes, 2 slices of Honey Wheat toast w/apple butter ....and 20 oz of water .....
  • gogosyss
    gogosyss Posts: 8
    Options
    Oatmeal could do the trick....but my top favorite is : 2 Wheatbix, a banana and 150 ml of milk ( I drink soy milk) and that will keep you full until Lunch time for sure...280cals also!
  • megandme120
    megandme120 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oatmeal with fruit and/or scrambled eggs......yum yum! and a big mug of coffee, of course. :tongue:
  • riri313
    riri313 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    IF YOU MAKE HARD BOILED EGGS DURING YOUR DOWN TIME AND PEEL THEM ALL AT ONCE, ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS ADD ONE OR TWO (70 CAL EACH) TO YOUR GRAB BAG WITH A SMALL YOGURT OF CHOICE OR A SERVING OF MILK OF SOME SORT. AND DON'T FORGET YOUR WATER BOTTLE. YOU MAY BE EXPERIENCING THIRST INSTEAD OF HUNGER THROUGHOUT THE DAY...

I HAVE FOUND THAT ON 1200 CALORIES EACH DAY, IF I EVENLY DIVIDE (300 EACH) THE CALORIC INTAKE TO THE 4 MEALS HERE, I AM PRETTY SATISFIED FOR THE WHOLE DAY. I AM HUNGRY IN THE MORNING BEFORE BFAST, I KNOW IT IS LUNCH BY MY STOMACH RUMBLE. DINNER IS JUST IN TIME FOR THE HUNGER PANGS AND SNACKS ARE JUST A BONUS OR GNOSH BUSTER.
    727210 Posts: 7
    Options
    Eggs fill me up. Plain Oatmeal works great too. However, if you are not a morning eater, I have recently read that it is actually ok to shift your meals to latter in the day. The Paleo Diet says you can fit your calories into the day between 1 pm and 8 pm. The rest of the time your body benefits from fasting. It will not go into "starvation mode" during the 18 hours that you are not eating. If you are not a breakfast eater. Eat your meals later.
  • dutchman24
    dutchman24 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've done a few things. Egg Beaters (or equiv) with 2 pieces of turkey bacon...or oatmeal w/ raisins...or 1 large pancake with Smuckers lo cal syrup...all with coffee.
  • riri313
    riri313 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    ALSO JUST INVESTED IN THIS AWESOME TOOL FROM PAMPERED CHEF (NOT MEANT TO BE A PLUG, I AM SURE THERE ARE OTHER BRANDS THAT ARE SIMILAR OUT THERE) IT IS A MICROWAVE EGG COOKER. IT WORKS GREAT AND IT IS QUICK. JUST 1 OR 2 MINS...VOILA - TASTY WARM BREAKFAST ON THE GO...ADD STUFF INTO THE EGGS - (HAM, CHEESE, ONIONS, SPINACH...ETC). YOU CAN MAKE AHEAD AND REFRIGERATE IT MAKES 2 SERVINGS AT A TIME.

MY POINT IS THAT IF YOU UP YOUR PROTIEN INTAKE IN THE MORNING, THAT IS WHERE THE STAYING POWER COMES FROM. IF YOU HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY, TAKE A LOOK AT THE PHYSIOLOGICAL EFFECTS OF PROTEIN AS OPPOSED TO CARBS ON YOUR BLOOD SUGAR. YOU WILL BE SURPRISED AT WHAT YOU FIND AND IT JUST MAY CHANGE THE WAY YOU STRUCTURE ALL YOUR MEALS AND WHAT FOODS BECOME A PRIORITY.
    727210 Posts: 7
    Options
    Eggs in a muffin tin ahead of time is am great idea! I am trying that one out for sure.
  • duggud
    duggud Posts: 4
    Options
    I used to be just like you in that I hated eating breakfast and it would make me hungry earlier! However, I decided to try and it does seem to mean I eat a bit less at lunch and am more alert.

I'm trying to stick to 300 cals for breakfast so some of my regular breakfasts include:

Porridge made with water (or skimmed milk), add in a bit of cinnamon, a few almond flakes for crunch or vanilla extract for flavour. I usually use ready brek, or rolled oats - we don't get steel cut readily in the UK. (about 200-250 cals)

Activia yoghurt pots (60-70 cals) sometimes with some Jordan's crunchy nut thrown in (high in cals in you're not careful about the weight but nut protein and so tasty - 200+ for 45g)

Various brands of breakfast biscuits: four in a pack, and you get to eat biscuits! (Between 200-230 cals) I usually like the apple and cinnamon ones, with a pot of activia yoghurt or a cup of tea (milk no sugar as the biscuits are pretty sweet).

Although if I want a proper breakfast...a full english fry up ;)
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    i have a protein shake most mornings. whole organic milk, protein powder, chai seeds and some kind of fruit. yummy!
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I make tofu scrambled up like eggs (recipe here: http://www.theppk.com/2009/10/tof-u-and-tof-me-scrambled-tofu-revisited/ - and you don't need nutritional yeast at all btw if you don't have it). I may or may not add veggies to it. I do add some cheese. I break it up into measured portions, put them in ziplock baggies and throw it in the freezer. I can have 10 breakfasts made in like 20 minutes. I sometimes also will make frozen hash brown potatos and add some of that to the mix, or i might just have that mix on a tortilla. or you could eat it as is. It's very filling, very cheap, and quick to make. And it doesn't taste like typical tofu at all. I still eat eggs too, but I don't like the way eggs come out frozen and re-heated so I like to this better for ready to go breakfasts.
  • LeopardPrintedLove
    LeopardPrintedLove Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have an idea for you! :)

There are some "deli flats" that are like thin, round, sandwich rolls that are sold at most grocery stores, the Pepperidge Farm Whole Wheat ones are DELISH and only 100 calories! I like to hard boil an egg, chop it up, mix it with a little light mayo and some turkey bacon crumbles (sometimes I add avacado and other things depending on how many calories I want to eat and what flavor I want) and then I make a sandwich out of it. I also like to use fresh spinach leaves and sometimes onion and mushrooms to bulk it up and keep the calories low. Usually, I can have the whole sandiwch for about 250 calories, depending on what I put on it and it is SO good and keeps me full for quite awhile! I always make it the night before and put it in a ziplock bag in the fridge so I can grab it on my way out!

For mornings when I am home, I use the same deli thin and make a egg over medium and some turkey sausage and 2% natural cheese.

Hope this helps!
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    2 slices of toast one with peanut butter other with scrambles eggs

and a sliced apple. Nowadays I just slice 1 piece of toast in half and use that instead of 2.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Vegetable stir fry: Chop up any veggies you like (maybe broccoli, carrot, celery, onion, and minced garlic?), or use frozen veggies if you don't have time. Have about 1/2 Cup cooked rice (prepare it the night before, to save time in the morning). Steam the vegetables in a tiny bit of water for about two minutes. Drain. Add about a half tablespoon of olive oil. (I like to mix in a bit of turmeric and pepper to this), and add the cooked rice. Stir fry for about a minute, add a beaten egg and cook till done. About 350 calories, depending on how much you use of various ingredients.

P.S. I find that eating anything with sugars in the morning tends to make me hungrier sooner, even natural things like fruit.
  • DestinyS29
    DestinyS29 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Banana omlette is gorgeous...sounds awful I know but try it, nom nom nom
    I just dry heaved...

^LOL! I had the same reaction.. but I'm willing to try anything once!
  • bgpoole
    bgpoole Posts: 10
    Options
    Old Fashion Oatmeal...dry toast with peanut butter