Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Fruit salad bad???

fitfatz
fitfatz Posts: 2 Member
For breakfast I've had 2 scrambled eggs, a tomato and some fruit salad made from a banana, a pear, some melon and an apple. Now the Nutrition section is showing that I've gone over my cholesterol, sugar and carbohydrate allowance for the day. Surely my breakfast wasn't unhealthy? Should I avoid eating that much fruit because of the sugar content? Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Unless you have a medical condition don't worry about sugar especially from fruit where it comes wrapped in fibre and vitamins. I don't even bother tracking sugar
  • Firebolt394
    Firebolt394 Posts: 7 Member
    No, fruit salad isn't bad. How many calories are you supposed to eat a day? because if that meal (Though I would probably have split it to a meal and a snack -2 eggs and a tomato and a toast for breakfast and the fruit salad for a light snack, but that's just me you don't have 2 do that) gets you over your carbohydrates allowance for the day I can only imagine you're on a 1200 calorie goal with maybe 20-25% carbs?
    Trying up-ing that a little, set your goals to losing 1 or 0.5 lbs a week instead of 2 maybe? Set your carbs goal at 50 (if you are not one of those who thinks carbs are the devil) that should do it.
    As for the cholestrol and the sugar, I don't pay much attention to them as long as my sugar comes from fruits and cholesterol comes from healthy food (if you don't have any medical conditions, that is of course).
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    fitfatz wrote: »
    For breakfast I've had 2 scrambled eggs, a tomato and some fruit salad made from a banana, a pear, some melon and an apple. Now the Nutrition section is showing that I've gone over my cholesterol, sugar and carbohydrate allowance for the day. Surely my breakfast wasn't unhealthy? Should I avoid eating that much fruit because of the sugar content? Any advice would be appreciated!

If you are diabetic, then you cannot eat that many fruit in a single meal. If you are not diabetic, you are fine.
    The 2 scrambled eggs are considered fine regarding cholesterol, but not for every day. While eggs are no longer considered "evil" by the medical community, current recommendation is on average 1 egg per day.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    That's a great breakfast. :)
    Ignore the sugar and cholesterol settings. You can track something else like fiber or iron.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Fruit salad is not bad, just log it like everything else. Unless you have a medical reason, I wouldn't worry too much about sugar.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Fruit's not inherently bad, but it can be high in calories for the amount of satiety you get. Just make sure you're not spending so many calories on fruit that you don't have enough left for protein and fats.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member

Wow! How low is your carb goal that one fruit salad put you over?

It's funny that you were over on 3 things, but only worried about the sugar.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    To be fair, dietary cholesterol barely matters to anybody at all. http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/cholesterol-food
  • JoeMaggio87
    JoeMaggio87 Posts: 2 Member
    I like to watch it regardless.

I like when the bar is almost full, but not quite there. I like to keep my carbs, sugar, and sodium as low as possible, but I don't sweat when the sugar is high, unless i'm indulging in refined/processed sugars. My sugars only come from fresh fruits and whole foods. Never added or processed.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited June 2015
    aggelikik wrote: »

If you are diabetic, then you cannot eat that many fruit in a single meal. If you are not diabetic, you are fine.
    The 2 scrambled eggs are considered fine regarding cholesterol, but not for every day. While eggs are no longer considered "evil" by the medical community, current recommendation is on average 1 egg per day.

I guess I’m doomed then, I sometimes eat 4 a day. Good thing I don’t think that’s bad.

I agree with @PeachyPlum entirely. I would also add that I recommend you weigh your fruit instead of going by generic sizes.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    why on earth would fruit salad be considered unhealthy???????????????????
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Emilia777 wrote: »

I guess I’m doomed then, I sometimes eat 4 a day. Good thing I don’t think that’s bad.

I agree with @PeachyPlum entirely. I would also add that I recommend you weigh your fruit instead of going by generic sizes.
    Me too. :wink:

Already had a banana, apple, strawberries and blue berries.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    What is your carb setting?

No, fruit salad is not bad.
  • Serah87
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    why on earth would fruit salad be considered unhealthy???????????????????

You know the sugar thing, lol.
  • Emilia777
    Serah87 wrote: »

Let’s defy the odds together lol :smile: Berries are my fave (when I do eat fruit, which tbh isn’t that often).
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member

Looks like I'm also doomed. I'm diabetic, but I have 150g of grapes, 250g fruit salad (100g cantaloupe, 100g watermelon, 50g pineapple), 120-140g apple, and 140g strawberries logged for the day (and am debating whether to add 140g blueberries to the mix).
  • Serah87
    Serah87 wrote: »

Let’s defy the odds together lol :smile: Berries are my fave (when I do eat fruit, which tbh isn’t that often).

LOL, agree. I'm the other way around, not much of a veggie eater, but love fruit. Though recently fell in love with fresh spinach, but I ran out of it yesterday. :(
  • Emilia777
    Abatonfan, that’s some awesome fruit logging - very impressed at your accuracy :smile: . And Serah, running out is IMO better than it going bad before you ate it (hate when that happens).
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    abatonfan wrote: »

Looks like I'm also doomed. I'm diabetic, but I have 150g of grapes, 250g fruit salad (100g cantaloupe, 100g watermelon, 50g pineapple), 120-140g apple, and 140g strawberries logged for the day (and am debating whether to add 140g blueberries to the mix).

You have this logged for the day, not for a single meal.
  • Emilia777
    edited June 2015
    abatonfan wrote: »

You have this logged for the day, not for a single meal.

Which was stated by the poster. Your point being?