Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Fruit salad bad???

2»

Replies

• RedVonMunster
    RedVonMunster Posts: 18 Member
    aggelikik wrote: »
    fitfatz wrote: »
    For breakfast I've had 2 scrambled eggs, a tomato and some fruit salad made from a banana, a pear, some melon and an apple. Now the Nutrition section is showing that I've gone over my cholesterol, sugar and carbohydrate allowance for the day. Surely my breakfast wasn't unhealthy? Should I avoid eating that much fruit because of the sugar content? Any advice would be appreciated!

If you are diabetic, then you cannot eat that many fruit in a single meal. If you are not diabetic, you are fine.
    The 2 scrambled eggs are considered fine regarding cholesterol, but not for every day. While eggs are no longer considered "evil" by the medical community, current recommendation is on average 1 egg per day.

I see absolutely no information saying you should limit egg consumption to one a day, in fact three a day is perfectly fine and consistently raises HDL and LDL remains unchanged. There really isn't much in the way of evidence either way when it comes to eating more than three eggs a day.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    abatonfan wrote: »
    Looks like I'm also doomed. I'm diabetic, but I have 150g of grapes, 250g fruit salad (100g cantaloupe, 100g watermelon, 50g pineapple), 120-140g apple, and 140g strawberries logged for the day (and am debating whether to add 140g blueberries to the mix).

You have this logged for the day, not for a single meal.

Which was stated by the poster. Your point being?

The poster says "I am doomed" and then "logged for the day". In reply to a comment stating that a diabetic might not want to eat several servings of fruit in a single meal (breakfast). So the comment makes no sense.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    I ignore the sugar and carbs "limits." I also don't pay that much attention to cholesterol either. My diet is normally low in sodium so there's another one I don't pay much attention to. LOL. What do I pay attention to? Glad you asked:

I want to make sure I stay under my calorie goals for the day, and that I get my minimums met of protein, iron, calcium, fat, iron, fiber, vitamin c, vitamin a, etc. I can't reach potassium because most food labels don't even say they have potassium when they do.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    For breakfast I've had 2 scrambled eggs, a tomato and some fruit salad made from a banana, a pear, some melon and an apple. Now the Nutrition section is showing that I've gone over my cholesterol, sugar and carbohydrate allowance for the day. Surely my breakfast wasn't unhealthy? Should I avoid eating that much fruit because of the sugar content? Any advice would be appreciated!

If you are diabetic, then you cannot eat that many fruit in a single meal. If you are not diabetic, you are fine.
    The 2 scrambled eggs are considered fine regarding cholesterol, but not for every day. While eggs are no longer considered "evil" by the medical community, current recommendation is on average 1 egg per day.

I see absolutely no information saying you should limit egg consumption to one a day, in fact three a day is perfectly fine and consistently raises HDL and LDL remains unchanged. There really isn't much in the way of evidence either way when it comes to eating more than three eggs a day.

There you go: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/eggs/
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    abatonfan wrote: »
    Looks like I'm also doomed. I'm diabetic, but I have 150g of grapes, 250g fruit salad (100g cantaloupe, 100g watermelon, 50g pineapple), 120-140g apple, and 140g strawberries logged for the day (and am debating whether to add 140g blueberries to the mix).

You have this logged for the day, not for a single meal.

Which was stated by the poster. Your point being?

The poster says "I am doomed" and then "logged for the day". In reply to a comment stating that a diabetic might not want to eat several servings of fruit in a single meal (breakfast). So the comment makes no sense.

But just because one diabetic notices that he cannot consume a ton of fruit per meal doesn't mean that another diabetic will experience the same thing. I tend to eat a lot of my fruit (up to 4 servings) in the evenings, and I experience minimal BG spikes. Oatmeal is a bigger issue for my BG, but fruit isn't that bad.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited June 2015
    Oooh I see, whether it’s per meal or per day does matter. Sorries.

I see your point now regarding fruit and meal vs day. Thanks for clarifying. However, on the topic of eggs, the one study cited in that article as a reason to eat no more than one egg per day concludes:
    Although egg consumption up to 6 times per week was not associated with incident HF, egg consumption of > or = 7 per week was associated with an increased risk of HF. Compared with subjects who reported egg consumption of < 1 per week, hazard ratios (95% confidence intervals) for HF were 1.28 (1.02 to 1.61) and 1.64 (1.08 to 2.49) for egg consumption of 1 per day and > or = 2 per day, respectively

Association is not causation. I’ll happily keep eating more than 6 eggs per week, myself, but to each their own. I really :heart: eggs.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,059 Member

I see your point now regarding fruit and meal vs day. Thanks for clarifying. However, on the topic of eggs, the one study cited in that article as a reason to eat no more than one egg per day concludes:
    Although egg consumption up to 6 times per week was not associated with incident HF, egg consumption of > or = 7 per week was associated with an increased risk of HF. Compared with subjects who reported egg consumption of < 1 per week, hazard ratios (95% confidence intervals) for HF were 1.28 (1.02 to 1.61) and 1.64 (1.08 to 2.49) for egg consumption of 1 per day and > or = 2 per day, respectively

Association is not causation. I’ll happily keep eating more than 6 eggs per week, myself, but to each their own. I really :heart: eggs.

6 eggs per week? I can sometimes get 6 in per day! Lol. I must be in trouble.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited June 2015

I probable eat about 12 to 20 eggs a week. Ohh just to add I don't have high cholesterol. ;)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Serah87 wrote: »

I probable eat about 12 to 20 eggs a week. Ohh just to add I don't have high cholesterol. ;)

Many people that develop heart disease don't have high cholesterol.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited June 2015

I no longer have heart disease eating that many eggs. :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member

I no longer have heart disease eating that many eggs. :)

Cool!
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 517 Member
    Unless your fruit salad comes from a can, you are fine.

Lol I love eggs, I'm so screwed.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Fruit salad is often bad because there is usually fruit I don't like touching (and tainting) the fruit I do like.

Proud fruit segregationist!
  • fitfatz
    fitfatz Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks for the advice everyone :) I won't worry about the carbs and. Sugar so much, but make sure I eat enough protein and vitamins.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Eat all the fruit!

Honestly MFP's low sugar goal kind of irritates me. Why would it discourage people from eating fruit in place of some other high calorie/packaged/etc snack?