1/2 Italian, Can I put "mixed-race" on my job application?

Options
13»

Replies

• dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    Unless you've got the peen to back it up, you'd better say white. Lying on a job application is grounds for dismissal.
  • kirstie1926
    Options
    italian isn't white? mixed raced? have you actually even been to italy? people from rome (central italy) and further north are blond haired and blue eyed. can't get any more white than that, i guess.

i think it would be great to go to nyc, jersey or chgo and tell an italian that they're not white, they're a mixed race. good luck with that.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I always put other, though I am heinz 57. Besides I disagree with affirmative action and their reporting of it. I believe there was a time and place but now that time has passed and that policy has now effectively implemented that same racism it tried to equalize.

Besides how do they know what nationality I am even if I look a specific way?

I'm heinz 57, but all Northern European. I completely agree. Our country still struggles with "equality" but a lot of "inequality" is self-imposed. I do not believe anyone deserves a leg up based solely on race anymore. If you want something bad enough, you CAN achieve it here (in the USA), with hard work & dedication....regardless of race.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Unless you've got the peen to back it up, you'd better say white. Lying on a job application is grounds for dismissal.

Do you think they are going to request DNA so they can figure out his "real" race??? There was a time when "passing" for white was all the rage, looks are not enough to determine racial divides, and any employer would have a heck of a time justifying a DNA request based on a job application.
  • mustang289
    mustang289 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    "based on my racial handicap"

i don't know what this means.

Good point, me niether and I'm curious.

Maybe instead of talking with his hands he only talks with one hand?
  • MyPureSteez
    MyPureSteez Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I'm black but whenever I see a question like that on any application I just check "Other" Just because
  • coventryduke
    coventryduke Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Go for it! Might be funny to see the outcome.

I'm the palest mixed race guy ever, when I put mixed race people don't believe me.
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Yes, Italians are considered white. You are welcome.

This.

Italian is a nationality, not a race. Are you actually from Italy? I suspect you're not, seeing as you indicated you're only 1/2 Italian. I am a first generation American, my mother was born in Sicily, and my father is of 100% Italian descent; therefore I am 100% Italian. I put "caucasian" when asked my race. I was born in America, I'm white.
  • doowop713
    doowop713 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Italian is more of a nationality. Your race would be White. I am part Italian, part Black, and part Hispanic (not sure the country of my family origin for the Hispanic part due to adoption) but I am considered Mixed. If you are a bunch of stuff like Polish, German, and Italian, your race is White. Your a Mixed nationality. :wink:
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Oh so now nationality has to do with where you were born and not the color of your skin? :huh:

I'm guessing there was a sarcastic tone to that, but yes that is exactly what it means.

That is racist.

LMAO it's fact. Race and ethnicity are 2 entirely different things. I am a mixed woman so these types of discussions come up alot. Example, there are black Germans. German is their ETHNICITY, black is their race. Just as their are white Africans. White is their race, African is their ethnicity.
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Italian is more of a nationality. Your race would be White.

Ding ding ding! Exactly what I'm saying.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Literal people are literal.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    We're white, but get great freakin tans. Tutto bene
  • trailtripper
    Options
    I like to get creative. I make my own box on the form and write human next to it and THEN check that box. :-)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    We're white, but get great freakin tans. Tutto bene

I like this!
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I'd be questioning why there is a question for "race" on that job application.

There's a question for race on every job application...

Not in every country :) I think everyone in America has one but other countries don't put that question on their applications.

Silly girl, the only country is the USA. The rest are just our vassal states.

I'm going to be completely honest here and admit half the time I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. I mean I see you posting in threads and I'm like 'but is he serious or kidding...' I'm not good at sarcasm face to face either though :)

I am always serious.

You need to lighten up! Why so serious always? Why Why Whyyyyy?!

Too much protein.

Okay. That makes sense.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    ok, I just decided to put down "pacific islander" I figure if I'm going to be a race, I'd like to live on an island. Sicily is an island. and there is no Mediterranean islander, so its close enough.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I'm 100% English - which in reality means a few parts Irish, some Dutch Huguenot, mix of Saxon, Norman, maybe Roman, maybe Viking, maybe Celtic...

If "mongrel" isn't an option I always choose "other" just to mess up the stats.