Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Before this becomes a fight on carbs, here's a link to the group. OP, if you really are looking for like-minded folks, this is where you'll find them:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

What I don't understand is why it always has to turn in to a fight. I don't low-carb but if someone else wants to...that's up to them.

I have a tendency to overeat carbs at the detriment of protein and fat so I try to moderate them. I aim for 100-125 grams of carbs. This as much as anything has helped me meet my goals.

I'm typing this from my phone with the voice software, so there's going to be a few grammatical errors here.

I think there are a few factors that I see happening typically on the main forms.

I hate to use labels but for purposes of explanation I will use pro low-carb and anti-low-carb.

Someone comes on the forums and ask a question about carbs or talks about going low-carb. Which first of all as an ambiguous term that does not have a well-defined number.

Then without any context at all, an anti-low-carber will show up and say "Why would you do low-carb, it's all about calories you shouldn't do low-carb"

Then, the pro low-carbers show up and start saying things about low-carb dieting that are just not true.

Then a bunch of arguing happens that gets further and further away from actually helping the original poster.

Two big issues as I see it: carbs and sugar are sort of a whipping boy of the diet industry currently. So unfortunately there are many people who believe that carbs are inherently fattening due to the diet industry and largely due to Taubes (who imo is wrong).

So then people are quick to bash the idea of low-carb dieting when the reality is it can be very effective for some people in some situations largely for satiety and adherence purposes.

I do think it's important to dispel some of the rumors about carbs being fattening so that people don't go on with the misunderstanding which could lead them to an overly restrictive diet.

But often times because people neglect that context, they end up not helping the op and a fight ensues.

This is certainly compounded by the fact that we are on a calorie counting website. And while calories are fundamentally responsible for changes in weight (yes, CICO is correct), that doesn't mean that every dieting method must involve tracking calories contrary to the group think that goes on in the forms.

Calories are responsible for driving changes in weight. Calories in also influences calories out. Energy deficits are mandatory for causing fat loss.

It's up to the individual to find a sustainable method for adhering to that energy deficit.
    Low carb dieting is one method that may work for some people but it's primarily the hunger blunting properties and the reduction or removal of an entire macronutrient that facilitate the energy imbalance, and thats not the mechanism proposed by some of the LCers.

The forum fighting happens because of poor context and misinformation from both sides of the carb fence.

Finally, I'm not referring to "all" people despite the language above.

Solid post, agree with everything you said. At the end of the day weight loss does come down to those pesky calories/following an appropriate calorie deficit. But there's different ways to approach that, and if eating lower carbs helps someone then I say good for them, for finding what works for them. Heck, I did alternate day intermittent fasting, which is way wackier than low carbing :p

I do think the frustration is that there are a few people who advocate low carbing as the 'only' way to make progress though. Same with some of the 'clean' eaters, some 'paleo' followers etc etc. And these people are typically the most vocal, which then raises the hackles of others and around and around we go :p

I agree with all of this as well. I also believe there are a few, typically vocal, posters who believe that IIFYM/CICO is the only way to go, and reply to every request for advice on something specific regarding HOW to do low carb with a "WHY are you doing it" type response, getting the hackles of others up, and around and around we go.
    I don't know how this community will ever get past it.

Are you still doing IF?

CICO is the only way to lose weight; no matter what kind of "diet" one follows… high carb, low carb, high protein, moderate protein, low fat, high fat, Mediterranean, Paleo, Keto, blah blah blah.

I didn't disagree with any of that.
    IIFYM is too, technically. Since low carb is also IIFYM. My point: there are many ways to do this. Low carb is a VALID way as well. It should be respected along side traditional calorie counting, and IIFYM "flexible" dieting.

I'm out, gotta work.

I am curious as to how IIFYM = low carb....?

Set calories at 1950 and macros at 125 g protein, 25 g carbs, 150 g fat. Then fit your macros.

Not appealing to me (I don't think I could eat 150 g fat if I tried and I'd miss my carbs), but perfectly valid approach.

It might get confused by the net carb thing somehow--I'm sure there's nuance to it that one would figure out.

I would only dispute that by saying you are not restricting carbs to below a set number in IIFYM, which would seem to be the main difference..

unless, of course, I am looking at it incorrectly.
    You lost me. Aren't you restricting all of your macros to below a set number in IIFYM? Or are you saying that the set number for carbs is so arbitrary that it isn't IIFYM anymore?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Before this becomes a fight on carbs, here's a link to the group. OP, if you really are looking for like-minded folks, this is where you'll find them:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

What I don't understand is why it always has to turn in to a fight. I don't low-carb but if someone else wants to...that's up to them.

I have a tendency to overeat carbs at the detriment of protein and fat so I try to moderate them. I aim for 100-125 grams of carbs. This as much as anything has helped me meet my goals.

I'm typing this from my phone with the voice software, so there's going to be a few grammatical errors here.

I think there are a few factors that I see happening typically on the main forms.

I hate to use labels but for purposes of explanation I will use pro low-carb and anti-low-carb.

Someone comes on the forums and ask a question about carbs or talks about going low-carb. Which first of all as an ambiguous term that does not have a well-defined number.

Then without any context at all, an anti-low-carber will show up and say "Why would you do low-carb, it's all about calories you shouldn't do low-carb"

Then, the pro low-carbers show up and start saying things about low-carb dieting that are just not true.

Then a bunch of arguing happens that gets further and further away from actually helping the original poster.

Two big issues as I see it: carbs and sugar are sort of a whipping boy of the diet industry currently. So unfortunately there are many people who believe that carbs are inherently fattening due to the diet industry and largely due to Taubes (who imo is wrong).

So then people are quick to bash the idea of low-carb dieting when the reality is it can be very effective for some people in some situations largely for satiety and adherence purposes.

I do think it's important to dispel some of the rumors about carbs being fattening so that people don't go on with the misunderstanding which could lead them to an overly restrictive diet.

But often times because people neglect that context, they end up not helping the op and a fight ensues.

This is certainly compounded by the fact that we are on a calorie counting website. And while calories are fundamentally responsible for changes in weight (yes, CICO is correct), that doesn't mean that every dieting method must involve tracking calories contrary to the group think that goes on in the forms.

Calories are responsible for driving changes in weight. Calories in also influences calories out. Energy deficits are mandatory for causing fat loss.

It's up to the individual to find a sustainable method for adhering to that energy deficit.
    Low carb dieting is one method that may work for some people but it's primarily the hunger blunting properties and the reduction or removal of an entire macronutrient that facilitate the energy imbalance, and thats not the mechanism proposed by some of the LCers.

The forum fighting happens because of poor context and misinformation from both sides of the carb fence.

Solid post, agree with everything you said. At the end of the day weight loss does come down to those pesky calories/following an appropriate calorie deficit. But there's different ways to approach that, and if eating lower carbs helps someone then I say good for them, for finding what works for them. Heck, I did alternate day intermittent fasting, which is way wackier than low carbing :p

I do think the frustration is that there are a few people who advocate low carbing as the 'only' way to make progress though. Same with some of the 'clean' eaters, some 'paleo' followers etc etc. And these people are typically the most vocal, which then raises the hackles of others and around and around we go :p

I agree with all of this as well. I also believe there are a few, typically vocal, posters who believe that IIFYM/CICO is the only way to go, and reply to every request for advice on something specific regarding HOW to do low carb with a "WHY are you doing it" type response, getting the hackles of others up, and around and around we go.

Are you still doing IF?

CICO is the only way to lose weight; no matter what kind of "diet" one follows… high carb, low carb, high protein, moderate protein, low fat, high fat, Mediterranean, Paleo, Keto, blah blah blah.

IIFYM is too, technically. Since low carb is also IIFYM. My point: there are many ways to do this. Low carb is a VALID way as well. It should be respected along side traditional calorie counting, and IIFYM "flexible" dieting.

I'm out, gotta work.

Set calories at 1950 and macros at 125 g protein, 25 g carbs, 150 g fat. Then fit your macros.

Not appealing to me (I don't think I could eat 150 g fat if I tried and I'd miss my carbs), but perfectly valid approach.

It might get confused by the net carb thing somehow--I'm sure there's nuance to it that one would figure out.

I would only dispute that by saying you are not restricting carbs to below a set number in IIFYM, which would seem to be the main difference..

You do restrict carbs to a number. A true IIFYM has a target for all macros - not minimums on fats and protein - that is just used for ease of adherence.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

Are you still doing IF?

I'm out, gotta work.

Its that low carb = IIFYM. The,macros are just different than people not low carbing. IIFYM does not prescribe what the Ms are.
    It can't be IIFYM if there aren't enough carbs to eat a pop tart. That's mandatory.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member

Are you still doing IF?

I'm out, gotta work.

You lost me. Aren't you restricting all of your macros to below a set number in IIFYM? Or are you saying that the set number for carbs is so arbitrary that it isn't IIFYM anymore?

well ...

fat and proteins are minimums in IIFYM and then you fill the rest in with carbs and/or as you see fit.

the main difference in my mind is that with low carb you are restricting them to a set minimum that you should not exceed; where as, with IIFYM there is no maximum, unless of course you go over your calories...

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member

Are you still doing IF?

I'm out, gotta work.

well ...

fat and proteins are minimums in IIFYM and then you fill the rest in with carbs and/or as you see fit.

the main difference in my mind is that with low carb you are restricting them to a set minimum that you should not exceed; where as, with IIFYM there is no maximum, unless of course you go over your calories...
    I guess I've misunderstood IIFYM all this time, then. I thought it meant, "if it fits your macros." If your macros are 125 g protein, 25 g carbs, 150 g fat and that's what you eat, it fits your macros.

It sounds like you're saying that there is some framework for what macros are allowed to fit, which is never the impression I got. But, again, I could have been misunderstanding it all this time.
  • Sarauk2sf

Are you still doing IF?

I'm out, gotta work.

well ...

That's not really correct in the true sense of IIFYM
  • Sarauk2sf
    senecarr wrote: »

Are you still doing IF?

I'm out, gotta work.

Its that low carb = IIFYM. The,macros are just different than people not low carbing. IIFYM does not prescribe what the Ms are.
    It can't be IIFYM if there aren't enough carbs to eat a pop tart. That's mandatory.

And ice cream!!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I appreciate that the discussion is staying mostly on track, but I am going to ask that references to various "groups" of users or their behavior, even in the most general terms, please exit stage left. Talking about misconceptions or confusion regarding different diets is fine, but the mod team has already had to hand out a ridiculous number of warnings and bannings this week, and well,

tumblr_nir9qjPDKx1suekw5o1_500.gif

We'd really prefer not to have to keep doing it. If you do have a concern, please PM a mod or staff member.

While @kgeyser might not like handing out bans, my ban hammer is out and readily awaiting, so ease stay on topic. ;)
  • ndj1979

Are you still doing IF?

I'm out, gotta work.

well ...

That's not really correct in the true sense of IIFYM

really? what is the correct version then?

I don't really do IIFYM but I always assumed that was the correct application ...
  • Sarauk2sf

Are you still doing IF?

I'm out, gotta work.

well ...

I guess I've misunderstood IIFYM all this time, then. I thought it meant, "if it fits your macros." If your macros are 125 g protein, 25 g carbs, 150 g fat and that's what you eat, it fits your macros.

It sounds like you're saying that there is some framework for what macros are allowed to fit, which is never the impression I got. But, again, I could have been misunderstanding it all this time.

Your understanding is correct. The application generally, for adherence is adapted for most people to set fats a.d protein as minimums - but that's an adaptation of what IIFYM is. IIFYM came from the bb'ing world and generally they have a target for all macros. For the casual dieter it's just not necessary/preferable to be that rigid.
  • ndj1979

Are you still doing IF?

I'm out, gotta work.

well ...

I could have it wrong..I don't follow IIFYM per say ...

the main difference in my mind is that you don't restrict your carbs in IIFYM and you do in LC....again, I could be wrong but that is my impression.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    You can fit ice cream and pop tarts in low carb, if your staying under 50g a day, even more if your under 100g a day. Keto, no, unless you are making your own keto friendly ice cream.
  • psuLemon
    Back to the OP, while it was slightly discussed, getting a food scale can be very eye opening. It is very easy to under estimate calories. In fact the average person under reports calories as much as 400 ish calories and over estimates calories burned through exercise.

For the average person on MFP, they typically fail at accurately logging and consistently logging. Ao while reducing carba is an effective strategy, i would also address the basics first.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    psulemon wrote: »
    Back to the OP, while it was slightly discussed, getting a food scale can be very eye opening. It is very easy to under estimate calories. In fact the average person under reports calories as much as 400 ish calories and over estimates calories burned through exercise.

For the average person on MFP, they typically fail at accurately logging and consistently logging. Ao while reducing carba is an effective strategy, i would also address the basics first.
    Heck, your average trained dietitian fails at accurate and consistent logging.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member

Are you still doing IF?

Cosigned. The frequent misguided attachment of CICO to IIFYM is also at the heart of many arguments in the forum. They are mutually exclusive, with CICO being the root of success for all chosen diets.
  • psuLemon

Very true. Its just human nature to want to believe we do everything right.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    No, that's... really not how science works. I explained the process to you in the laymen's terms by which I understand it. There are actual scientists on this board who can help you out here. I need caffeine, help me out real science nerds!!!

Even a basic high school level knowledge of the scientific method knows that "100%" doesn't happen.

Read the wiki on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method

Pretend i studied a science and have a 4-year degree (bachelor of science)

I believe the word science means 'knowledge' or 'the study of knowledge' from memory (whereas engineering was the "practical application of science")..... I was once a trained scientist working as an engineer (really, about 20 years ago) If something's not true 100% of the time, it's not really knowledge, it's more like "it seems likely".

Statistics inform science, but they don't define it. That is if something is statistically significant, it can give you a place to look to better define a problem (For example, is it true for a particular studied subgroup 100% of the time, what about that subgroup is different-- then restudy with similar subgroup and see if it's true 100% of time with them).

-Rob

@senecarr @crazyjerseygirl ... ??????

I've not read this, nor do I care to, but here's one of the best infographics I've seen explain science.
    nopS8.png

What a great graphic!
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    edited June 2015
  • ndj1979

based on what people post in here as to what dieticians are telling them to do, I would avoid all dieticians like the plague....
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member

based on what people post in here as to what dieticians are telling them to do, I would avoid all dieticians like the plague....

I don't think half of the people who say they are seeing a registered dietitian actually are. I think they are seeing a nutritionist based on the BS they spew :#