Does anyone know of any RELIABLE SCALES

Options
2»

Replies

• greghenley1
    greghenley1 Posts: 96 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I vote for the Withings WiFi Scale. I have had mine 3 1/2 years and have zero problems with it and have only changed the batteries once.
  • Niajon16
    Niajon16 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    I like my Eat Smart. Very well made, although it does have some odd calibration issues from time to time.

Any digital home scale is going to be a bit inaccurate, but it should be consistent. It's the nature of the technology used.

Almost all digital scales use 2 or 4 digital load cells mounted in the feet. The scale measures the reading from the load cells and calculates the weight from those readings. The load cells can be sensitive to temperature, so a cold morning can throw them off. The load cells used in consumer scales are also cheaper and less accurate in general.

The "gold" standard would be a mechanical balance scale like used in a doctor's office, but these do need to be calibrated periodically by a technician who follows a specific procedure. Getting one for home use could be more accurate, but you have to be sure to keep it calibrated.

Thank you for the information. I wasn't sure if there was something wrong or not. Ive had the scale for almost 5 or 6 years
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Niajon16 wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    I like my Eat Smart. Very well made, although it does have some odd calibration issues from time to time.

Any digital home scale is going to be a bit inaccurate, but it should be consistent. It's the nature of the technology used.

Almost all digital scales use 2 or 4 digital load cells mounted in the feet. The scale measures the reading from the load cells and calculates the weight from those readings. The load cells can be sensitive to temperature, so a cold morning can throw them off. The load cells used in consumer scales are also cheaper and less accurate in general.

The "gold" standard would be a mechanical balance scale like used in a doctor's office, but these do need to be calibrated periodically by a technician who follows a specific procedure. Getting one for home use could be more accurate, but you have to be sure to keep it calibrated.

Thank you for the information. I wasn't sure if there was something wrong or not. Ive had the scale for almost 5 or 6 years

It's quite likely that the load cells on a scale that old are simply wearing out and giving out bad readings to the processor in the scale.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Im just using a WW scale from 3 years ago. As long as it shows me losing weight it's accurate to me :)
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    Niajon16 wrote: »
    I have a scale called "THINNER". Something that I got a few years ago and it gives me strange reading and fluctuations. Assistance please?

What's strange fluctuations? Your body can naturally fluctuate +-/5 pounds a day

.5lbs? I wish. I "lost" 2lbs overnight by weighing at a different time of day and because of my menstrual cycle. LOL!