5-5/1+8*7/7*8-4+4(9^(18-5))=?

Options

Replies

• xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I thought the answer to everything is 42.

No, that's the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

life + the universe + everything = 42

therefore

42 - life - the universe = everything

haha did you get this from the t-shirt that said "LIFE = TRUTH + GOD" (solving for truth)

I don't think I've ever seen that - just going with the HHGG approach.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    AND not THEN is the rule. Left to right.

True.

Used to be that implied multiplication (ie. 2x) had higher precedence, but that's changing now too. Nowadays 2x/2x=x^2, when it used to = 1

2 * x / 2 * x

= (2x) / 2 * x
    = x * x

Again goes back to following the agreed upon rules. The answer 1 is correct if we decide not to follow the rules by allowing ambiguity with implied multiplication, but like I stated before we are dealing with computers and there is no implied multiplication so we follow that rule.

The whole order of operations is an agreed upon rule, it is not a proven equation it is an agreement. We follow steps with experiments the same way in order to yield out the same results, if you don't follow the steps there is no reason to expect the same outcome.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options

therefore

Yeah, but what's the question?

What do you get if you multiply six by nine?

If this is the actual question, then it suggests that the universe is a truly screwed up place, and that the point of the question and answer is to point out this fact.
  • kowfred
    kowfred Posts: 19
    Options

Are actually both correct.

8*7/7*8 can be correctly interpreted as both 64 and 1. Just depends on if you consider it an in-line division symbol or 8*7 OVER 7*8
  • kowfred
    kowfred Posts: 19
    Options
    Nerd alert. Sullus you must do support of some kind
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    The answer is Vodka.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

True.

Used to be that implied multiplication (ie. 2x) had higher precedence, but that's changing now too. Nowadays 2x/2x=x^2, when it used to = 1

2 * x / 2 * x

= (2x) / 2 * x
    = x * x

Again goes back to following the agreed upon rules. The answer 1 is correct if we decide not to follow the rules by allowing ambiguity with implied multiplication, but like I stated before we are dealing with computers and there is no implied multiplication so we follow that rule.

The whole order of operations is an agreed upon rule, it is not a proven equation it is an agreement. We follow steps with experiments the same way in order to yield out the same results, if you don't follow the steps there is no reason to expect the same outcome.

The point I'm making is that the rules are not immutable.

1 was completely correct by the agreed on rules a year ago. Then everyone changed their mind, and 1 is no longer correct.

I'm well aware that there is no implied multiplication in a computer, but we're not being asked to calculate something as a computer does. We're being asked to interpret a problem as a human does.

Back to the original:

8*7/7*8 can be correctly interpreted as both 64 and 1. Just depends on if you consider it an in-line division symbol or 8*7 OVER 7*8

If you change that to 8(7) / 7(8), I think most people would agree that's 1. And they would have been right - last year. This year, they're wrong. This year it's 64.
  • sullus
    Options

therefore

Yeah, but what's the question?

What do you get if you multiply six by nine?

If this is the actual question, then it suggests that the universe is a truly screwed up place, and that the point of the question and answer is to point out this fact.

But .. "How many roads must a man walk down" will work nicely on the talk shows.
  • vtmoon
    Options

True.

2 * x / 2 * x

= (2x) / 2 * x
    = x * x

1 was completely correct by the agreed on rules a year ago. Then everyone changed their mind, and 1 is no longer correct.

I'm well aware that there is no implied multiplication in a computer, but we're not being asked to calculate something as a computer does. We're being asked to interpret a problem as a human does.

Back to the original:

If you change that to 8(7) / 7(8), I think most people would agree that's 1. And they would have been right - last year. This year, they're wrong. This year it's 64.

We are being asked through a computer, unless you and the OP met and he asked you as a human being in person, in that case I apologize for my whole computer is the medium we are dealing with.

Right now (not last year) the way this question is asked there is only one way to calculate it. That is the point I'm trying to make.

P.S. Again I'm very sorry for my stand if you and the original poster met in person and he wrote down the equation for you differently.
  • sullus
    Options

True.

2 * x / 2 * x

= (2x) / 2 * x
    = x * x

Back to the original:

We are being asked through a computer, unless you and the OP met and he asked you as a human being in person, in that case I apologize for my whole computer is the medium we are dealing with.

Right now (not last year) the way this question is asked there is only one way to calculate it. That is the point I'm trying to make.

P.S. Again I'm very sorry for my stand if you and the original poster met in person and he wrote down the equation for you differently.

The problem is the ambiguity of the / symbol on a computer. We're not being asked to evaluate the equation as a compiler or a computer would. As humans reading a computer's inadequate presentation of the problem, though, we don't know which one of these it means:

8 * 7 ÷ 7 * 8

-or-

8 * ---- * 8

-or-

8 * 7
    7 * 8

-or even-

5-5/1+8*7
    7*8-4+4(9^(18-5))

Because the OP has not clarified how / is being used, it's ambiguous. That's the whole point I've been making since page 1. Someone (you?) claimed that / means ÷ , end of discussion. That's true when a computer is DOING the math. But both interpretations are valid when a human is interpreting the equation.

I write: 1/2x

Do I mean

one half x or 1 over 2x?

Most computers will go straight left to right 1 ÷ 2 * x .... one half x

Without context from the writer of the equation, either human interpretation is valid, given the equation as presented.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    OP just wanted to see if anybody would actually attempt that...

I'm actually quite impressed.
  • R_Calvillo
    R_Calvillo Posts: 177 Member
    Options

therefore

haha did you get this from the t-shirt that said "LIFE = TRUTH + GOD" (solving for truth)

I don't think I've ever seen that - just going with the HHGG approach.

Me too.
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Best thread on MFP today!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

True.

2 * x / 2 * x

= (2x) / 2 * x
    = x * x

Back to the original:

The problem is the ambiguity of the / symbol on a computer. We're not being asked to evaluate the equation as a compiler or a computer would. As humans reading a computer's inadequate presentation of the problem, though, we don't know which one of these it means:

8 * 7 ÷ 7 * 8

-or-

8 * ---- * 8

-or-

8 * 7
    7 * 8

-or even-

5-5/1+8*7
    7*8-4+4(9^(18-5))

Because the OP has not clarified how / is being used, it's ambiguous. That's the whole point I've been making since page 1. Someone (you?) claimed that / means ÷ , end of discussion. That's true when a computer is DOING the math. But both interpretations are valid when a human is interpreting the equation.

Do I mean

one half x or 1 over 2x?

Without context from the writer of the equation, either human interpretation is valid, given the equation as presented.

I GUESS THE ANSWER IS THEN... IT DEPENDS

Dear OP... would you please be able to provide us with some further clarification as to your intent when you employed the use of the "/"?

This would allow us to provide you with the correct answer, instead of us choosing to ASSuME we know what you meant.

Thank you kindly! :)

ETA: this is so typical of the current BA / SA / QA business model.
    BA gathers requirements
    SA implements based on their understanding
    QA argues with SA over understanding of requirements
    and NOONE ASKS THE CLIENT!
  • vtmoon
    Options
    OP just wanted to see if anybody would actually attempt that...

I'm actually quite impressed.

This is the internet and us nerds take math super sereal guy, like bearmanpig!
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    BA gathers requirements

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You just totally derailed the thread!
    Oh, that is so horrible!

NO MORE WORK TALK!!!
  • allstatemom
    allstatemom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    If you were in my math class having this discussion, this is how I would respond to you. I LOVE it when you talk math to me.

Thanks!
  • sullus
    Options

True.

2 * x / 2 * x

= (2x) / 2 * x
    = x * x

Back to the original:

8 * 7 ÷ 7 * 8

-or-

8 * ---- * 8

-or-

8 * 7
    7 * 8

-or even-

5-5/1+8*7
    7*8-4+4(9^(18-5))

Do I mean

one half x or 1 over 2x?

Dear OP... would you please be able to provide us with some further clarification as to your intent when you employed the use of the "/"?

This would allow us to provide you with the correct answer, instead of us choosing to ASSuME we know what you meant.

BA gathers requirements

Would it surprise you if I said I was a software developer? I'm a right ****in treat in meetings. :D
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

BA gathers requirements

Would it surprise you if I said I was a software developer? I'm a right ****in treat in meetings. :D

Would it surprise you that I do QA? Probably not... since the answer I got was the less obvious one, and I probably would have sent it back to development!
  • mizgiet
    mizgiet Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm an English teacher, not a Math teacher. :-) lol Althought, I think I'm going to attempt this anyway! Just for fun. :-) lol It shouldn't be too hard right?