Are there any calories you *don't* record

Options
davemunger
davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
I have a secret: I don't bother recording a few things in my food diary. I don't record creamer for my coffee, or the grapes / cherries from the bowl we keep in the fridge, or occasional nibbles of other treats. I'd guess this all adds up to 100 calories a day. Does anyone else do this? What are your "off the books" calories? Do you think it affects your goals?

Replies

• Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Occasionally I don't bother recording the two packets of sugar I put in my coffee, unless I'm having more than one cup.
  • Panthers89
    Panthers89 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I try to record everything that I have eaten but it's hard to remember all of it during a day. I noticed that I leave out chewing gum and small vegetables like cherry tomatoes and beets - I'm pretty meticulous about the fruit recordings, even cherries and grapes. I use a generic salad entry every day and try to add / subtract from that the following morning if I feel that I omitted something with significant calories.
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Vitamins and other supplements.
  • chrisawelch
    Options
    I record every single thing unless I have a couple pickles... they are only 5 calories a piece. Or if I have a few 10 calorie toostsie rolls at the gym while I burn around 300 calories. But everything else I record.
  • yondermountain
    yondermountain Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I record every little thing except lettuce and mustard on a sandwich. But I am 5'2'' and old, so losing weight is difficult. If I was a tall young man I would probably not be so obsessive.
  • DarthKity
    DarthKity Posts: 16
    Options
    I only dont record if its a tiny amount of calories, ie 1 cal can of diet coke or 8 cal Greens shake:smokin:
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    The couple things I don't record are usually less than 15 cals each.... pickles, vitamins, chewing gum. In a day I'd say that adds up to maybe 50 cals tops.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Once I get to maintenance I will probably skip some things. But now, it's the little things that add up for me. Handful of nuts here, grab a few chocolate chips there, half an apple, adds up quick
  • klp1017
    klp1017 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I used to never record my black coffee, until yesterday when I read in another thread about the potassium in coffee, which I never realized there was any. I'm always low on potassium so now I log everything.
  • duggud
    duggud Posts: 4
    Options
    I used to forget to add oil - usually only have a warm cooked meal for dinner, but when I cook I use to use about half a tbsp and a non stick pan. That was until my my other half was cooking and I saw he was using more like 2-3 tbsps if not more! Suffice to say we've switched to the 1 cal spray stuff, which is probably horrendously unhealthy and full of chemicals but now if I forget to put it down it's not an extra meals worth of calories in just oil. I sometimes also don't put down say an extra strawberry here or a grape there - as long as it is just the one.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I don't record 50 calories of reduced sugar ketchup and/or marinades a day. I start adding them if I'm not getting the results I expect.
  • daisymae850
    daisymae850 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I record everything that I eat/drink
  • ea101367
    ea101367 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I don't record the skim milk I use in my tea everyday.:drinker:
  • seefyboy
    seefyboy Posts: 68
    Options
    What I normally do is set out my food diary the night before I go to bed and eat that food the next day. There's always things I don't add, which I'm not too worried about. Like today I had a few pieces of chocolate, olives, yogurt and some cheese that I didn't bother adding. You gotta live a little too and not be so strict ;)
  • jolt28
    jolt28 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    spices - except salt.
  • ImtheOnethatsCool
    ImtheOnethatsCool Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I don't record my green tea, white vinegar, or black pepper.

I know - I'm a rebel.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I try to record my main meals and snacks. Then if I am really close to goal calories sometimes I will try and remember what extra stuff I ate to see if I am over or not!

My calorie goal is set to 1800, so if I only get to 1600 I don't worry about the bites of cake I had today or trying to work out how much milk I put in my cups of tea. If I was at 1750 I would be more inclined to try and log them.
  • emmietoby
    emmietoby Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    hard candies that i treat myself to i have then to keep my mouth moist for it gets dry from all my meds.

also i have ice tea ( one glass which i full with ice all day till by the end of the day it's all water!!) so i'll say i give myself about 100 cals a day. which isn't bad considering i hardly reach all my cals for the day.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I don't record water and peppermint tea.
  • pkinblue
    pkinblue Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I often don't record veggies, the splash of milk in my tea, the knife lick I do after I make the kids PB&Js, gum or Altoids. However, I also don't record every dog-walk--so I figure it evens out around 100 cals added, 100 cals burned.