Paleolithic diet seems so extreme. What about this idea?

Options
Deipneus
Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
I get the idea about eating like a caveman and all that, but why go all the way back to the Paleolithic era? I mean, did someone experiment with the Mesolithic diet and go: "Well, that didn't work,let's try the Paleolithic Era." For goodness sake they used stones for hunting and lived under housing made of tree branches! I'm afraid that if I eat a Paleolithic diet I may lose IQ. Those folks weren't real smart.

At least the Mesolithics had enough sense to sharpen their stones for hunting and discovered that flint was easier to sharpen.

By the Neolithic era, they were domesticating animals and producing grains, fruits and vegetables from seeds. They started making plows out of antlers and developed mortars and pestles to grind cereals and grains.

It just seems more logical to start with Neolithic and work my way backward. Thoughts?

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I keep thinking about life span. Even in the Neolithic era, I would be either dead or a strange phenomenon.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I am only going back as far as the Filet Mignon Period. And I am smart enough to pay some one to prepare it.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I am only going back as far as the Filet Mignon Period. And I am smart enough to pay some one to prepare it.

:bigsmile: :laugh: :laugh:
    HAHAHAHAH Im with you
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Please stop. If you disagree with the Paleo/Primal (stupid name, I agree) lifestyle then just leave it alone. Kinda like I ignore vegan threads unless they put "ethics" in the title (I actually do have experience being vegan). It's beyond frustrating that so many people jump out of the woodwork to speak against this lifestyle, even start their own threads to slam it, when the majority of them have a false understanding of it and have absolutely NO personal experience with it.

Eating things like steaks, eggs, and salads is not "extreme" for me. I enjoy feeling well instead of sick, so why don't you just make up for my lack of grain consumption by eating double?

(FYI: deaths due to accidents, injuries, infections is different than death due to disease. I have 90 year old grandparents that have been sick for 60 years due to their diet-they did not smoke or drink ever. Their lives have been prolonged by surgeries and drugs and by basically sitting still and not moving... is that LIVING? They could have lived just as long but with less suffering; why wouldn't we want that? Well, do what you want; I am.)
  • Deipneus
    Options
    Please stop. If you disagree with the Paleo/Primal (stupid name, I agree) lifestyle then just leave it alone. Kinda like I ignore vegan threads unless they put "ethics" in the title (I actually do have experience being vegan). It's beyond frustrating that so many people jump out of the woodwork to speak against this lifestyle, even start their own threads to slam it, when the majority of them have a false understanding of it and have absolutely NO personal experience with it.
    Buzz kill. I thought that the fact that I put this in Chit-Chat, Fun, and Games would have said it all.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options

Eating things like steaks, eggs, and salads is not "extreme" for me. I enjoy feeling well instead of sick, so why don't you just make up for my lack of grain consumption by eating double?

(FYI: deaths due to accidents, injuries, infections is different than death due to disease. I have 90 year old grandparents that have been sick for 60 years due to their diet-they did not smoke or drink ever. Their lives have been prolonged by surgeries and drugs and by basically sitting still and not moving... is that LIVING? They could have lived just as long but with less suffering; why wouldn't we want that? Well, do what you want; I am.)
    Sensitive, are we?

If there's a diet I want to try, that would be the one practiced by the people in Ikaria.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/28/magazine/the-island-where-people-forget-to-die.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    O.P. (southcarolina), I see you have had tremendous weight loss and your health is excellent except for achalasia.
    Interestingly enough it is correlated to auto immune disorders and eating paleo is quite helpful in these areas.

Simply googling achalasia and auto immune or achalasia and paleo, I find several references including some who claim to be cured.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/social/Louise_Buckley?action=comments

You might think about trying a whole30 paleo or maybe even an anti-inflammatory version (no nightshades).

I know that going paleo for me cured me of lots of little nagging symptoms including constant joint pain.
    If I had achalasia, I'd be the first one to see trying to eat good protein, veggies, nuts, fruit and no processed crap made me feel better.
    Maybe worth a try for you?

(btw, I have one friend who lost her sense of smell completely - after going paleo, she is getting her sense of smell back. Its crazy what food can do to the human body)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Buzz kill. I thought that the fact that I put this in Chit-Chat, Fun, and Games would have said it all.
    [/quote

Good one, if this truly is a joke. It's pretty hard to hear your tone of voice through the computer though... but I see threads like this ALL the TIME, so yeah, I get tired of it. :drinker:
  • anjani_009
    anjani_009 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid that if I eat a Paleolithic diet I may lose IQ. Those folks weren't real smart.

At least the Mesolithics had enough sense to sharpen their stones for hunting and discovered that flint was easier to sharpen.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I don't do any diet, just changed my lifestyle. But whatever floats your boat really. Find something that works for you.
  • Deipneus
    Options
    I know that going paleo for me cured me of lots of little nagging symptoms including constant joint pain.
    If I had achalasia, I'd be the first one to see trying to eat good protein, veggies, nuts, fruit and no processed crap made me feel better. Maybe worth a try for you?
    Thanks. I experimented a lot on my way to where I am today and I'm happy with what I eat now and it's great that you are too.

I make it a habit never to try to persuade others to eat as I do. We are all different and whatever makes you happy is what you should do. One size does not fit all.

I was merely poking fun at the name.
  • MikeFlyMike
    Options

I was merely poking fun at the name.

Yup, it is a funny name. I don't convince anyone to eat like I do - too much work. I do know it helps a lot of people and I hadn't heard of your medical issue before so it intrigued me. Glad you are doing well with it.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Ahahahahahahaha :laugh:

I'm going back to Precambrian diet that's what our real ancestors ate....mmmmm phagocytosis
  • MikeFlyMike
    Options
    Ldro.. Google pcos and paleo.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Kinda like I ignore vegan threads
    LOL. I do the same. It would be rude to run in and tell the vegans that they actually need animal products so I don't do that. Paleo diet is at least a complete diet with lots of nutrients and whole foods. It's funny that people enjoy freaking out about.

Althought the filet mignon era sounds good, I'd go for the ribeye era any day!
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Paleo is not that extreme. All you really have to do is remove grains, legumes and dairy. Most people (more than many realize) have some small allergy to one or more of those classes of food anyway. People think Paleo is extreme and boring because most have forgotten how to cook their own food. They've been hooked on processed frozen meals and shelf meals in a box that they have forgotten about spices and mixing meats and veggies, etc.

Paleo has also helped with my Diabetes.

Neolithic may sound fine, but really it's the same thing most people eat anyway so what's the point? You find what you can stick to and what works for YOUR body.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options

Im not one for ganging up on folks and totally against cyber bullying but this lady had a dumb thing or two to say on one of my posts ....THAT being said, im still holding a grudge..

ignore the nun and carry on...
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    My only real gripe with Paleo is that some people treat it like a religion. I'll stick with my WWGE/IIFYM diet.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Ldro.. Google pcos and paleo.

Quite aware simple weight loss and moderate carbohydrate intake 35-50% has allowed me to become pregnant twice.

I find it personally reprehensible to remove whole grains (very effective in managing insulin spikes, low fat dairy (current research shows some correlation to long term weight loss and dairy consumption, and beans (high amounts of fiber to prevent insulin spikes and lower cholesterol) from my diet.

One more thing to add the most effective tool for PCOS to increase fertility to decrease the hyperinsulinemia, aind risk of diabetes is weight loss.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I get the idea about eating like a caveman and all that, but why go all the way back to the Paleolithic era? I mean, did someone experiment with the Mesolithic diet and go: "Well, that didn't work,let's try the Paleolithic Era." For goodness sake they used stones for hunting and lived under housing made of tree branches! I'm afraid that if I eat a Paleolithic diet I may lose IQ. Those folks weren't real smart.

By the Neolithic era, they were domesticating animals and producing grains, fruits and vegetables from seeds. They started making plows out of antlers and developed mortars and pestles to grind cereals and grains.

It just seems more logical to start with Neolithic and work my way backward. Thoughts?

:laugh: I thought the satire here was pretty clear - even without a "sarcasm font" :wink: I also found this hilarious from a nerd perspective (I loved anthropology in college).

---

For anyone wanting a nerdgasm, check out this article: http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2012/07/23/human-ancestors-were-nearly-all-vegetarians/ Lots of discussion on what the diet of our ancestors was- there are multiple theories about it. Just some cool info, no agenda.

(FWIW, I don't have anything against a "paleo" diet - however you define it. Eat what works for you and your weight loss journey and keeps you healthy. If that's meat, meat and meat, awesome! If it's packaged food, cool! If it's vegan, kick-butt! Really, doesn't matter.)
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I want to go waaaayyyyy back and eat like a dinosaur!