Paleolithic diet seems so extreme. What about this idea?

2»

Replies

• Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    I want to try t-rex steak

It sounds tough
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Sounds excellent and also pretty paleo to me.
    Maybe. I'n no expert but every Paleo person that lectures me eats a lot of meat and as I said I hardly eat any.

It might really be Paleo though. I saw a TedX lecture by an anthropologist who said it's a misconception that they ate a lot of meat in the Paleolithic era. She says they gathered a lot of small plants and stuff. So yeah, maybe the Mediterranean diet is the real Paleolithic diet.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member

If there's a diet I want to try, that would be the one practiced by the people in Ikaria.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/28/magazine/the-island-where-people-forget-to-die.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

that was a cool article.
    wine, sleep, sex, home-grown foods. i'm down.
    The 'sex' alone had me sold.

"Honey, we gotta do this, it's part of my diet..."
  • Deipneus

If there's a diet I want to try, that would be the one practiced by the people in Ikaria.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/28/magazine/the-island-where-people-forget-to-die.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

that was a cool article.

From the article: "She also pointed out a preliminary study of Ikarian men between 65 and 100 that included the fact that 80 percent of them claimed to have sex regularly, and a quarter of that self-reported group said they were doing so with “good duration” and “achievement.”"

The key words here MAY be "claimed to". Could be a lot of unwarranted boasting going on. Back in high school I noticed that their seemed to be an inverse correlation between the amount of bragging about sex, and the amount of sex they were likely actually getting.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    "Maybe. I'n no expert but every Paleo person that lectures me eats a lot of meat and as I said I hardly eat any."
    Paleo does not necessarily mean lots of red meat or tons of bacon - but it can.
    I know vegan paleos and pescatarian paleos.
    So I consider you a paleo pal.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member

that was a cool article.

From the article: "She also pointed out a preliminary study of Ikarian men between 65 and 100 that included the fact that 80 percent of them claimed to have sex regularly, and a quarter of that self-reported group said they were doing so with “good duration” and “achievement.”"

The key words here MAY be "claimed to". Could be a lot of unwarranted boasting going on. Back in high school I noticed that their seemed to be an inverse correlation between the amount of bragging about sex, and the amount of sex they were likely actually getting.
    They may or may not getting a lot of nookie, but it counts as exercise so it can't be bad. Besides, I need all the excuses I can find...
  • Deipneus
    "Maybe. I'n no expert but every Paleo person that lectures me eats a lot of meat and as I said I hardly eat any."
    So basically, Paleo is without definition and can be whatever I want it to be? I'm starting to like this Paleo thing.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    So basically, Paleo is without definition and can be whatever I want it to be? I'm starting to like this Paleo thing.

Yep-- so long as you cut it with sharp stones.
  • Deipneus

Yep-- so long as you cut it with sharp stones.
    Sold! I'm in.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    I get the idea about eating like a caveman and all that, but why go all the way back to the Paleolithic era? I mean, did someone experiment with the Mesolithic diet and go: "Well, that didn't work,let's try the Paleolithic Era." For goodness sake they used stones for hunting and lived under housing made of tree branches! I'm afraid that if I eat a Paleolithic diet I may lose IQ. Those folks weren't real smart.

They were undoubtedly just as intelligent as we are--just ignorant of our ways and all that we have learned over time. There is a difference between ignorance and a lack of intelligence. Children are ignorant of our culture but they are possessed of as much intelligence at three as they will have at thirty. They are progressively enculturated and their naivete often amuses us. Human beings learn what they NEED to learn. "Primitive" people from other cultures often have a great deal of knowledge about things that we would be quite clueless about. Only those who refuse to learn anything useful could be described as not very smart.
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    I'll stick with my WWGE/IIFYM diet.
    Okay, I'll bite. ;-) What's that?

What Would Granny Eat - Because my granny is my eating inspiration. Home-cooked meals, eggs or yoghurt or muesli for breakfast, lots of vegetables and other fibre sources (genuine whole grains and beans), good quality meat, butter rather than margarine and treats in moderation.

(And IIFYM is if it fits your macros, which gives me the goals to structure my general eating attitude.)

I wouldn't say it's for everyone, but I like having near-total control over my food and I know she had it pretty sorted.