Telling people to "smile."

123457»

Replies

• Wolf___
    Wolf___ Posts: 99 Member
    I only smile during solar eclipses and tsunamis... I smile full on when both happen at the same time
  • maeld51
    maeld51 Posts: 3,415 Member
    emdeesea wrote: »
    maeld51 wrote: »
    We're talking smiling people, not donating an organ.
    You grumpy *kitten* people keep on scowling that way the happy people know who to avoid.

Try being told to "smile! It can't be that bad" on a day you've been to the doctor and been told you can never have children, or on a day you've lost your job, or on a day when your beloved pet has been put to sleep.

We can't always be happy. A tiny bit of social understanding from strangers would be appreciated sometimes. Because sometimes it is "that bad."

Jerk.

CALLING ME NAMES, REALLY?

I'm sending you a huge smile and I hope you have a wonderful day!

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Empathy cannot be taught. You either have it or you don't.
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    emdeesea wrote: »
    Empathy cannot be taught. You either have it or you don't.

That's why I stay away, cause they just end up pulling me down
  • CooperSprings
    CooperSprings Posts: 754 Member
    I would smile. It would make me feel nothing but the need to be obligatory. After all, life isn't that bad.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Asking someone to smile is not polite and bordors on being rude. If i want someone to smile, give them a pleasant little smile first. If they do not have a a shitload metric ton of crap going on in there life, they will respond with a pleasant little smile and now you can go on your merry little way because ou brought a smile to someone face without inerrupting their life. If someone ask me to smile , they usually get a little lecture. That or telling me 'to have a nice day'. Both will end up in short little lectures. Yes, sometimes life can be 'that' bad.
  • suzreen
    suzreen Posts: 2,455 Member
    I'm not a fan of telling people to smile. There are many alternatives that would be much better...
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    I cannot smile on command. When I try, I look like a serial killer. Doesn't mean I can't smile. Just has to be spontaneous.