Telling people to "smile."

Replies

• jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    jaga13 wrote: »
    emdeesea wrote: »
    I'm taking a poll and I'm genuinely curious as to what people have to say.

First a question for the guys only: Let's say you walk into a shop, and there are several other men sitting around chatting with each other. One of them is the owner of the shop and he greets you. Then he says to you, "Smile! It can't be that bad!"

What would be your thought? How would this make you feel, if anything?

Women, how does this make YOU feel, if anything?

I would hate that (I'm a woman, btw). Maybe it really IS that bad. Maybe I just thought about someone who has passed away?! And any way, wouldn't we all be considered crazy if we walked around all day with a huge, fake smile?

Yeah but you're prettier when you smile, sweatheart! Where are you going, sunshine? Don't you want to look pretty? Why don't you want to look pretty? Don't you want people to tell you you look pretty? Hey where are you going? I don't understand, I just want you to look pretty DON'T YOU WANT TO LOOK PRETTY YOU LOOK SO PRETTY WHEN YOU SMILE

You're so right, I feel prettier already! Excuse me, I need to go take the curlers out of my hair.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Actually, I assumed that I had resting *kitten* face...and was surprised to realize I DON'T. I actually have resting pleasant look face. Which I dislike. I don't want the whole world to think I'm smiling, or snickering to myself about something. There must be a support group.
  • MrsBooBear
    MrsBooBear Posts: 12,619 Member
    The last time someone said that to me, was on the day my dad died.True story.
    But I too, have resting b1tch face.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    edited June 2015
    jaga13 wrote: »

First a question for the guys only: Let's say you walk into a shop, and there are several other men sitting around chatting with each other. One of them is the owner of the shop and he greets you. Then he says to you, "Smile! It can't be that bad!"

I would hate that (I'm a woman, btw). Maybe it really IS that bad. Maybe I just thought about someone who has passed away?! And any way, wouldn't we all be considered crazy if we walked around all day with a huge, fake smile?

Yeah but you're prettier when you smile, sweatheart! Where are you going, sunshine? Don't you want to look pretty? Why don't you want to look pretty? Don't you want people to tell you you look pretty? Hey where are you going? I don't understand, I just want you to look pretty DON'T YOU WANT TO LOOK PRETTY YOU LOOK SO PRETTY WHEN YOU SMILE

this happens to me all the time from men i dont know and ones i might be acquainted with

i tell them to eat *kitten* or to fvck off

its usually something like "you would be so much prettier if you smiled"
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    This has never happened to me, but I can see how it could be annoying. Especially if the situation is that bad and the person can't just mind their own business.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    My response? "Eat me."

Of course, that's my response for a lot of things.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    edited June 2015
    Anecdotally speaking, I've never heard a man tell another man (a stranger) on the street to smile because he'd look more handsome if he smiled, or put simply: I've never overheard this kind of interaction between two men who appear to be strangers in public.

Once, after being told by some dude on the street to smile, I asked him if he'd say that to another man. He looked at me like I asked him if he'd lick his dog's ***hole.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    "WTF do I have to smile about?"

I only ask babies if they'll smile and that's ASK, not TELL. IDK wtf is going on with people and I really don't care. I don't want people pretend they give 2 sh!ts about me by asking me to smile when it's just a smoke screen for their personal power trip.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQpmLNTGbpQeinYZap4JC-i1iGZzolevx5JcGpTtoyOROMSsb_X
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Anecdotally speaking, I've never heard a man tell another man (a stranger) on the street to smile because he'd look more handsome if he smiled, or put simply: I've never overheard this kind of interaction between two men who appear to be strangers in public.

Once, after being told by some dude on the street to smile, I asked him if he'd say that to another man. He looked at me like I asked him if he'd lick his dog's ***hole.

I have not either and I have noticed that only a few guys answered the question of how they would feel if a strange guy told THEM to smile.

• Noogsofthenorth
    Noogsofthenorth Posts: 138 Member
    Just a loose comment it's better than looking like " a bulldog chewing a wasp"
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    To me its just like a greeting,,,,,,,people get butthurt over the silliest stuff.
    Why does everything always have to have a sinister meaning ?
    But then no one ever told me that after someone died , so
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member

I have not either and I have noticed that only a few guys answered the question of how they would feel if a strange guy told THEM to smile.

I smile :)

• Carpedieznutz
    Carpedieznutz Posts: 1,166 Member
    Don't tell me what to do, shop owner. You don't know me, you don't know my life, you don't know how I like to eat my cereal!

tee2utmd2jmz.gif
  • calbadger
    calbadger Posts: 283 Member
    I think that's a bit creepy. Who are they to tell to smile. If I'm in an okay mood, I'll just ignore it. The times when I'm irritated, I'm tempted to say "Thank you, but I have other plans." That also works with "Have a nice day."
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    They are just trying to be friendly and break the ice.

Don't overanalyse things.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member

Being friendly is one thing, telling someone what to do is another.
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    edited June 2015
    Y

Being friendly is one thing, telling someone what to do is another.

Kinda like "have a nice day"?

I will NOT have a nice day thank you very much...

You are taking a perfectly innocent saying that has been in use for a long time and making it personal.

Why? All it does it make you feel angry/mad/offended/whatever.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    I'm not a 'smiley' person so I've often been told to 'smile' - I look at them as if they have 10 heads and ask them why? I then tell them a smile is natural and if it's done because I'm forcing it then it is only a grin, and it won't reach the eyes, which is the true value of a smile, so there's no point in doing it. Failing that (because they're too stupid to understand) I tell them they haven't got a clue what's going on in my life so they have no right to tell mec what facial expression I should have.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    It annoys me, because I've never seen a man say it to another man. I don't think I've ever heard a woman say it to a man either, come to think of it.

But it hasn't happened to me in years. I may give off a bitchy vibe-- people tend to leave me alone.