Food Shaming...............

Options

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Charlie003 wrote: »
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    You have a private room at work where you watch Netflix?

This. This is what I want to know more about. Do you work for Netflix?

No. We have our iPads and use company wifi. Shhhhhhhhh!

LOL. Is it possible that there's not really a "private Netflix viewing room" that employees are supposed to use for this purpose, and that's why your coworkers are being so passive aggressively hostile to you? :bigsmile: A Netflix viewing room at work, FML. :laugh: My work blocks Netflix and anything streaming from our network though. I suppose it's their fault if they haven't blocked it on yours!

• sarabrunning
    sarabrunning Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Opposite problem: I eat pescstarian/veg at work, clean and veg heavy at home so I'm not getting antibiotics/hormones from meat in the cafeteria, people always "complain" that I eat too healthy and "I'm thin why am I dieting?" Or I mention any kind of excercise and "you aren't fat why are you working out/running?" It's Almost like fitness shaming, super annoying because I never butt into people's meals and tell them how poorly they are eating even though I've watched people gain 10-20 lbs in a year eating at the work cafeteria.
  • Fabulousfoodiefun
    Fabulousfoodiefun Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Here at work we have a caff. On Wednesday's, it is pizza day. Free drink. I do 60 min cardio almost every morning. I am going to get my damn pizza. But, on cue, as I start to eat this pizza, people pop into my private room where I watch Netflix forcing me to pause the show, take off my earphones, just to tell me, do you know how many calories are in that. You know there are better choices.....

Do they know not to bother a hungry individual holding a knife........playing with their lives they are.

So, do any of you have to deal with morons who butt in on your food, to tell you the obvious just to make themselves feel superior?

Wait.....you eat pizza with a knife? What kind of freak are you? Lol! Use your hands, man...unless that is your weapon to stab anyone who tries to steal a slice.....
  • Fabulousfoodiefun
    Fabulousfoodiefun Posts: 103 Member
    Options

Whenever someone has said this to me (particularly on a cheat day), I stare at them defiantly, and, without breaking eye contact, try to jam as large and disgusting a mouthful of the food in question into me as I can possibly muster.[/quote]

LMAO! Epic! And then with your mouth full say, There's the door, don't let it hit you on the *kitten* on your way out.....BOOM!
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Sorry, but your first "mistake" was interrupting your movie, removing your ear phones and interacting with them. I'd have given them a brief wave or nod of acknowledgement and continued what I was doing. Ignore, ignore, ignore. Eventually they'll get tired of standing there and will move on, right? Hopefully.

This^^^
    and even so... you should take a bite of your pizza like this when they do say those types of things...

giphy.gif

... cuz you don't care what they say.

OMG that is hilarious!

I am SO going to do this the next time another idiot pulls me up on the food I'm eating.

"Oh that's so unhealthy the calories in that are blah blah blah." or "Oh good to see you eat proper food for a change" Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

It's like HULLO I keep fit and healthy through good habits to get to this size but I'm not some kind of robot - I'll eat what I want, when I want it. I'm now going to add ****OM NOM NOM NOM NOM!!**** to that.

Here at work we have a caff. On Wednesday's, it is pizza day. Free drink. I do 60 min cardio almost every morning. I am going to get my damn pizza. But, on cue, as I start to eat this pizza, people pop into my private room where I watch Netflix forcing me to pause the show, take off my earphones, just to tell me, do you know how many calories are in that. You know there are better choices.....

Do they know not to bother a hungry individual holding a knife........playing with their lives they are.

So, do any of you have to deal with morons who butt in on your food, to tell you the obvious just to make themselves feel superior?

Sooo...what kind of pizza is it? ....Just for research purposes of course. :D
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Everyone at work saw my weightloss journey from the beginning. Only one person still calls my food logging and portion control a "diet" and she is a very sweet person that enjoys me taking chocolates from her bowl of candy at her desk. :p
  • 10inprogress
    10inprogress Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Any kind of commentary on meals at all is just asinine. I have a woman at work that only eats heavily processed foods, is always on a diet, yet never successful and she's told me, "Iiiiiiick. That's disgusting!" When I'm eating smoked salmon, or other healthy lunch options. Um. I CLEARLY enjoy it so why the need to comment? I don't walk up to you eating a BK breakfast sandwich and tell you how disgusting I think that is. Oh and if you're wondering WHY you're can't loose any weight, I might have a comment or two about that...but I keep that s*** to myself like a f'ing lady.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    i get it both ways. i eat a salad and im boring. i eat a couple of fries and im going to regain the whole 165lb ive lost over night

i even had a friend tell me im eating too much when i had half a toddler plate of meat and veggies

another friend told me my daily latte that i account for was making me gain weight, she quickly back tracked when i pointed out that ive not gained weight apart from 1lb my last star week which disappearred a couple days later

with some people you just cant win so i just keep on smiling and have a little cry alone for the really nasty hurtful comments
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I'd say "yes, I know...and guess what? I've lost 10lbs eating it, you should try it!" Then when they go and eat pizza and get fat I secretly laugh inside! Muahahahahahahaha! :D

You madam, are all sorts of awesome :)
  • Morgaen73
    Options
    EvanKeel wrote: »
    Probably off topic, but I detest it when restaurant servers say things like "Wow, you ate it all. Good job!"

Yesterday my wife and I shared a slice of chocolate cake. It was huge and very rich so we had to share it. I asked the waitress if they get any people that can actually finish a whole slice and she goes "yes, quite often actually".
  • Morgaen73
    Options
    In any given week I get everything from "he cant have any of that he's on a diet" to "Have a burger for Pete's sake you only live once".
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    One of my biggest pet peeves in life is people commenting negatively about other people's food choices.
    It irks me to no end.
    And I am teaching my little kids to be respectful and polite of other people's food choices, cooking preferences etc....

Only once I had someone shame me for eating junk. And it was coming from a professional athlete that had to eat super clean, so I think he was just "Hangry" and a little jealous, to be honest.

ALL of the other food shaming has come from the opposite perspective --- I am eating healthful food and working out and people are trying to shame me into putting it down and having junk. This was when I worked in an office and there was a lot of snacks, pastries and stuff around.

I don't always make good food choices, but I just don't have a huge sweet tooth... cookies and cake don't appeal to me at all. So I would always pass and get soooo much crap for it... (from morbidly obese people, nonetheless -- who thought it was OK to comment on my weight/body and food choices, simply because I was thin.)

Either way, it is just not right to comment on people's food. Whether you agree with the food choices or not.
    Lunch hour shouldn't be an ethical debate, a food shaming war, a body shaming game or a lesson in general ignorance or cultural insensitivity.
    What somebody chooses to do with their body is their business. Sometimes, you've had a really crappy morning and all you want is french fries and a soda. Sometimes you may have the worse stomach upset and only want lemon-water. Sometimes you want to eat the comfort food that grandma used to make.
    Work is hard enough without having a-holes trying to ruin the only time in the day you have to unwind and re-charge. Live and let live.

The only thing I would want to hear is "Oh, that looks great! May I have the recipe?" Otherwise, shut up. Just mind your own business and S.T.F.U!!

Namaste.

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I eat kashi bars at work. I get the "Chocolate Almond & Sea Salt with Chia" ones because that's what Costco sells AND they're delicious. A coworker was talking about how she got kashi bars so I was like, "Oh which ones? I love these chocolate ones." To which she rolls her eyes and says, "Hah yeah you picked the most candy-bar one there is." She has very poor body image, is constantly commenting on what other people eat. I just replied, "You don't get health bonus points. A half ounce of dark chocolate isn't going to change anything."
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The only comment I got was 'how do you stay so skinny?' while I was stuffing my face at a potluck. Good times.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    example today's lunch= cooked pasta with raw veggies and hummus mixed in. My pasta was "basically a salad". LOL

Mmm, pasta salad.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I don't get this much except from my husband whenever I plan to eat something out of the ordinary. He always makes some comment about "I thought you didn't eat that", to which I reply "I don't eat this often".
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    You have a private room at work where you watch Netflix?

This. This is what I want to know more about. Do you work for Netflix?

No. We have our iPads and use company wifi. Shhhhhhhhh!

LOL. Is it possible that there's not really a "private Netflix viewing room" that employees are supposed to use for this purpose, and that's why your coworkers are being so passive aggressively hostile to you? :bigsmile: A Netflix viewing room at work, FML. :laugh: My work blocks Netflix and anything streaming from our network though. I suppose it's their fault if they haven't blocked it on yours!

We would revolt. It is open to anyone. They do block other sites, but it is important for morale.

• Charlie003
    Options
    Catcancoo wrote: »

Wait.....you eat pizza with a knife? What kind of freak are you? Lol! Use your hands, man...unless that is your weapon to stab anyone who tries to steal a slice.....

LOL! I use a knife to slow down the eating so that I have a chance to get full sooner and not gorge.

• Charlie003
    Options
    Catcancoo wrote: »

LOL! I use a knife to slow down the eating so that I have a chance to get full sooner and not gorge.

But the stabbing option is always there.