Breakfast

Options
I always seem to struggle with what to eat first thing. As long as coffee goes with it, any suggestions?

Replies

• Agathokakological
    Agathokakological Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much time you have. I like to bake a few potatoes on Sunday and chop them up to put in the fridge. Then I'll weigh out 95 grams and cook them in half a TBS of butter and scramble a couple eggs and have that with a piece of fruit. I ran out of potato today though. For something quick, 1/4 cup of oats, 6oz of frozen berries, 1/2 a TBS coconut oil and water to get your desired thickness/thinness makes a great breakfast smoothie. You can even sneak in some spinach.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Do you struggle because you aren't hungry? If so, keep in mind that you don't have to eat breakfast. The idea of breakfast being the most important meal or mandatory is outdated and wrong.

If you are just looking for ideas, here are a few:

soft boiled eggs on toast
    cottage cheese
    yogurt
    egg muffins
    bagel with cream cheese
    fruit
    veggies
    leftovers
    peanut butter on an english muffin
  • AmandALR2602
    AmandALR2602 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the new ideas. I don't have much time so the potatoes n scrambled eggs would have to be for the weekend. Trouble is, after that or eggs on toast, there hardly seems any calories left for the day
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    For 280 calories I have 2 jumbo eggs over easy on a slice of wholewheat toast sliced in half for each egg!
    Delicious and satisfying!
  • Agathokakological
    Agathokakological Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    It is super quick because you're just heating the potatoes up. In a nice hot pan I can have breakfast ready in 5-7 minutes. The 2 eggs(140), potato(70), butter(51), fruit(pear, 57), and benefiber(15) is usually around 330 calories, give or take a few calories depending on which fruit I have.
  • jemhh
    Options
    Thanks for the new ideas. I don't have much time so the potatoes n scrambled eggs would have to be for the weekend. Trouble is, after that or eggs on toast, there hardly seems any calories left for the day

What is your calorie goal, OP? That may help us with better suggestions.
  • AmandALR2602
    Options
    Sorry about the slow reply. Just finding out how it all works
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I usually have 1/2 cup (85 grams) of black beans or pinto beans along with two eggs scrambled and topped with NM Green Chiles.

On the weekends I tend towards a variety of savory oatmeals...my current favorite is a serving of Coach's Oats with a tsp of soy sauce topped with an over easy egg and 1/2 an avocado sliced with a nice sprinkle of bacon bits with Sriracha and green onions.
  • AmandALR2602
    Options
    That sounds really healthy. Another weekend menu to try. Thanks
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I've been all about my Greek yogurt, lately. Sometimes I add fruit, nuts, or granola to it.

Some other things to look into are egg cups (sometimes they're called mini frittatas or egg muffins, just scrambled eggs & veggies, meat, or cheese baked in muffin tins), overnight oats, avocado on toast, bagel thins with cream cheese & smoked salmon.
  • AmandALR2602
    Options
    I like the sound of egg cups. Easy too.
    Blimey, I'm spoilt for choice now. Thank you!
  • jemhh
    Options

No prob. I should have asked how many calories you allocate for breakfast and if you take anything in your coffee. Here are a few couple though:

2 soft boiled large eggs (140 cals) + 1 slice toast (100 cals) + 100 g banana (89 cals) + 1/2 cup 2% milk (61 cals) = 390 total

1 light english muffin (100 cals) + 2 T almond butter (190 cals) + 100 grams strawberries (91 cals) + 1/2 cup 2% milk (61 cals) = 442 total
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I always seem to struggle with what to eat first thing. As long as coffee goes with it, any suggestions?

I'm always in a hurry in the mornings, so I typically have a Dannon Greek Yogurt paired with a banana and of course my daily coffee. Quick and jam-packed with nutrients. If I have a little extra time, I'll prep a protein shake in place of the yogurt.
  • Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    oatmeal
    chicken sausage
    eggs
    cereal
    english muffins
    toast w/ PB
    Fruit
    bacon
    protein shakes
    greek yogurt
  • Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

No prob. I should have asked how many calories you allocate for breakfast and if you take anything in your coffee. Here are a few couple though:

2 soft boiled large eggs (140 cals) + 1 slice toast (100 cals) + 100 g banana (89 cals) + 1/2 cup 2% milk (61 cals) = 390 total

1 light english muffin (100 cals) + 2 T almond butter (190 cals) + 100 grams strawberries (91 cals) + 1/2 cup 2% milk (61 cals) = 442 total

I think you're over estimating strawberries, a cup of strawberries is 152 gs and last i checked thats 49 calories
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Bacon & Eggs?

2 slices of bacon is usually 90 calories
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I normally have one of the following:
    - breakfast burrito (whole wheat wrap filled with scrambeled eggs/salsa/veggies/cheese/ham or bacon/whatever I want to put in it)
    - cereal + banana + milk
    - whole wheat english muffin toasted with natural chunky peanut butter + banana
    - baked oatmeal (www.skinnytaste.com has my favourite recipe for baked oatmeal)
    - 2 hard boiled eggs smashed up on one piece of whole wheat toast
  • ylvak94
    ylvak94 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I make scrambled eggs in advance, usually 4 servings at the time and just keep it in the fridge.
    I put one serving on a slice of dark rye bread, heat for 30-60 seconds in the microwave, top with 2 slices of ham and half an avocado sprinkled with lemon juice. 300 kcal and takes 2 minutes to make when the eggs only need to be heated.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Bacon egg and cheese taco:

Small tortilla
    1 egg or egg beaters
    1 slice bacon
    Green onion/diced onion/diced peppers optional
    Shredded cheese
    Salsa

Crisp the bacon, set aside and discard most of the grease, about 1-2 tsp
    Cook the onions and peppers in the remaining grease (if used)
    Add the beaten egg and bacon, stir until egg is cooked.
    Add to tortilla and top with cheese and salsa

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Homemade Egg (mc)Muffin (~300 cals)

English muffin
    1 Egg
    Canadian bacon
    1 slice cheese

Toast english muffin. Spray oil into the skillet and coat an egg ring. Preheat. Crack 1 egg into the ring, add 1-2 tbsp. water outside of ring and cover skillet. When water is evaporated, remove cover and heat Canadian bacon next to egg. When egg and bacon are cooked, assemble with cheese, egg, and bacon.