Calorie Counting Question

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited June 2015
    I set my goal to lose weight, currently at 203 with a goal weight of 175. I started at 214. My calorie goal per day is 2114. I eat around 1500 a day, I didn't realize this app already calculated the deficit. Can someone give more explanation as to how it works? Again, I'm new to this.

If you eat up to 2114 calories a day you should lose weight, as long as you were honest about your activity level. MFP does not count any exercise in your activity level, so even if you exercise every day but have a desk job your a activity level is sedentary, most likely. Assuming whatever numbers you plugged into MFP are accurate, if you eat more than 2114 calories a day, you will either lose more slowly, maintain, or gain, depending on how much you eat. If you are eating more calories than you need to live, i.e. your basic metabolic rate (BMR) you will gain weight (unless you are exercising). Go to www.scooby'sworkshop.com for a really good BMR calculator. Keep in mind that Scooby's calculator counts exercise into whatever activity level you set for yourself. MFP does not. With MFP you add any exercise you do to each day. With MFP, you can eat your 2114 calories a day and lose weight. If you exercise you will lose weight faster. You can also choose to "eat back" some of the calories you burned during exercise, if you are hungry or want a treat. However, know that almost all exercise calculators overestimate how many calories you burn while working out, so most people either don't eat back their exercise calories or eat back only a portion of them, typically 1/4 or 1/2.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    whmscll wrote: »
    I set my goal to lose weight, currently at 203 with a goal weight of 175. I started at 214. My calorie goal per day is 2114. I eat around 1500 a day, I didn't realize this app already calculated the deficit. Can someone give more explanation as to how it works? Again, I'm new to this.

If you eat up to 2114 calories a day you should lose weight, as long as you were honest about your activity level. MFP does not count any exercise in your activity level, so if you have a desk job but exercise every day your a activity level is sedentary. If you eat more than 2114 calories a day, you will either lose more slowly, maintain, or gain, depending on how many calories you are eating. If you are eating more calories than you need to live, i.e. your basic metabolic rate (BMR) you will gain weight (unless you are exercising). Go to www.scooby'sworkshop.com for a really good BMR calculator. Keep in mind that Scooby's calculator counts exercise into whatever activity level you set for yourself. MFP does not. With MFP you add any exercise you do each day. With MFP, you can eat your 2114 calories a day and lose weight. If you exercise you will lose weight faster. You can also choose to "eat back" some of the calories you burned during exercise, if you are hungry or want a treat. However, know that almost all exercise calculators overestimate how many calories you burn while working out, so most people either don't eat back their exercise calories or eat back only a portion of them, typically 1/4 or 1/2.

Eating above BMR doesn't cause weight gain, unless the person is eating above their TDEE (BMR plus daily activities).
  • whmscll
    Oops, my bad. Sorry.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    I guess i'll just keep doing what i'm doing, maybe eat more healthy snacks for more calories but healthier foods. Almonds, fruits, veggies, etc etc.

Almonds and other nuts are mega high in calories. Measure them carefully.
  • jaysanchez4
    jaysanchez4 Posts: 199 Member
    Thanks for all the information, I think i could hit my goal of 175-180 by July 17th if i just continue to eat clean and work out every single day.
  • whmscll
    Eating clean does not guarantee you will lose weight. You need to make sure you eat at a caloric deficit.
  • jaysanchez4
    Can you explain further? Thank You!
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Eating clean does not guarantee you will lose weight. You need to make sure you eat at a caloric deficit.

Eating clean is not even a thing.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    I'll give you an example of a typical day for me.

Breakfast - 2 Large Egg Spinach Omelette.
    Lunch - 6 Inch Turkey Sub.
    Snack - Protein Shake.
    Dinner - Chicken Breast, Asparagus and Broccoli.
    Exercise - 30 Minute Elliptical workout.

If this is what you mean by eating clean, yeah, I think eating that way will help you.
  • jaysanchez4
    tomatoey wrote: »
    I'll give you an example of a typical day for me.

Breakfast - 2 Large Egg Spinach Omelette.
    Lunch - 6 Inch Turkey Sub.
    Snack - Protein Shake.
    Dinner - Chicken Breast, Asparagus and Broccoli.
    Exercise - 30 Minute Elliptical workout.

If this is what you mean by eating clean, yeah, I think eating that way will help you.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not aha

• lemonsnowdrop
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

I've never understood how my Oreos are "dirty." Where did "clean eating" come from anyway?
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

I've never understood how my Oreos are "dirty." Where did "clean eating" come from anyway?

Those crafty snake oik guys.
  • whmscll
    edited June 2015
    You can still gain weight from eating very healthy foods if you eat too much of them. Eat them, they are what you need for overall good health, but be certain you are not going over your daily calorie limit.
  • jaysanchez4
    So basically as long as i eat under my calories of 2114, i will lose weight. Exercising will just speed things up faster?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited June 2015
    Can you explain further? Thank You!

The type of food technically doesn't matter for weight loss. You just have to eat less than you burn to lose weight.

However, the type of food can make an impact on how easy it is to stick to that calorie target. People have different ways of doing this - some like to fit the kind of treats they ate before in there, and feel deprived if they don't. They just eat less of that treat and less of other food.

Others prefer to use nutritional rules, like "cover half your plate with vegetables", or "cut back on starches and eat more meat". Those people might feel like eating too many treats (for them) can be a slippery slope, or that they overeat, so they focus more on what you're calling clean eating.

if the menu you've described - chicken and veggies, eggs and spinach, sandwiches - keeps you satisfied while you lose weight, and not feeling deprived, that's great. Do what works for you.

(People in both groups tend to have better luck feeling full once they figure out the balance of macronutrients - protein, fat, and carbs - works for them. To keep as much muscle as you can, you'd want ~.8 grams per pound of bodyweight. A good amount of fats can keep you full. Eating carbs with a lot of fiber - veg, fruit and grains - can also help keep you full.)
  • whmscll
    Yes. As long as you set your activity level accurately on MFP.
  • jaysanchez4
    Thank You !! Such great information here. My goal is to be at 175-180 by July 17th, currently at 204. I think i can do it.
  • whmscll
    edited June 2015
    Also, have treats occasionally! That will keep you sane. Allow for them in your calories.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    edited June 2015
    So basically as long as i eat under my calories of 2114, i will lose weight. Exercising will just speed things up faster?

Exercise will create a larger calorie deficit.
    Thank You !! Such great information here. My goal is to be at 175-180 by July 17th, currently at 204. I think i can do it.

Unfortunately, losing more than 2 pounds a week is not healthy, so you should aim to lose about ten pounds, not thirty.
  • jaysanchez4
    You've been extremely helpful, did you see what a typical day looks like for me? I posted it up there. What do you think about that?