Does Fitbit way overestimate calories burned?

Options

Replies

• JennyL791
    JennyL791 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    Bottom line - you shouldn't chose your plan arbitrarily.

Based on what people have said here, I arbitrarily selected the appropriate plan, lol, so that's good! I have 50 to lose, I chose 1 per week bc I know 2 per week is unhealthy for me.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    JennyL791 wrote: »
    I didn't have negative calorie adjustments enabled. I've done that, but can someone explain what that is? It's probably really obvious but this is the first time I've done weight loss without someone just telling me how many "points" to eat, so all of this is new to me.!

If you burn fewer calories in a day than MFP estimates your maintenance calories are, it will take some calories away, down to the minimum 1200 intake.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I didn't have negative calorie adjustments enabled. I've done that, but can someone explain what that is? It's probably really obvious but this is the first time I've done weight loss without someone just telling me how many "points" to eat, so all of this is new to me.!

It means that when you don't meet MFP's expected calorie burn (based on your stats and the activity level you picked), that you will lose calories.
    So if MFP expects you to burn 2000 calories a day and Fitbit says your only going to burn 1800 for the day, MFP will take away 200 calories so that you maintain whatever deficit you selected (the exception being if it would drop you below 1200. MFP won't let your calorie goal go below 1200).
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    My Zip overestimates my TDEE by 1000. I think my Zip is just wonky (it also eats batteries like candy), but not all of them are. I do know I won't buy a Zip again based on this one.
  • JennyL791
    Options
    Ohhh, ok. I've learned a lot here. Thanks everyone so much!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    My Zip overestimates my TDEE by 1000. I think my Zip is just wonky (it also eats batteries like candy), but not all of them are. I do know I won't buy a Zip again based on this one.

Are you logging everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly?

If so, contact Fitbit customer service. They'll replace your tracker if it's defective.
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    I use a fitbit one and it's right on the nail for me.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »

The Zip runs on batteries? Eww.

Yep, a watch battery. But the one I had, I only replaced it once and used it every day from April to August.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    My Fitbit gives me a TDEE that is really close to the one I calculated from my actual numbers. It can be very accurate, but the more you wear it, the more accurate it will become because it will have much more data to work with.

When you first get it, it will calculate according to averages for your height, weight, and how fast you move. Over time it will also have actual calories eaten, weight lost, etc. to factor in, so it can more accurately figure the burn based on real life numbers. To start, maybe eat back about 50-75% of the calories it gives you and see how things work out. If you are losing faster than your plan, eat back more.

This, exactly. My Fitbit Charge HR is pretty accurate and I'm consistently losing weight.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    It absolutely makes sense to me if you have your MFP set up for sedentary that it pretty quickly gives you exercise calories. Sedentary is just barely above your BMR...which is the amount of calories you need just to be alive and breathing. It won't take much activity to bump you above that.

I have my MFP set up for moderately active. I have to get 5-6K steps in before my FitBit gives me an exercise allowance above that level of activity.

My natural inclination is to be sedentary. I have to consciously work at it to be active. For that reason alone, I think Sedentary is the right activity level for me. I also know myself well enough to know that if I were to have my activity level set too high, I would find the negative calorie adjustment extending late into the day to be very demotivating. I prefer to be rewarded for being active with extra calories, rather than be penalized for being lazy by having calories taken away. With my activity level set to Sedentary, I get out of negative territory fairly early in the morning. However, I also know that in order to be able to eat enough to not be hungry, I need at least a 500 calorie exercise adjustment.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    My FitBit says I've burned 1723 calories today. I've been up since midnight and have walked more than 20,000 steps. LOL. I WISH I were so active that I was questioning it!
  • JennyL791
    Options
    Can anyone define sedentary vs lightly active, beyond the short description given on MFP?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Can anyone define sedentary vs lightly active, beyond the short description given on MFP?

Sedentary is basically a desk job and minimal physical activity. You drive everywhere and don't do regular yardwork, etc Fitbit figures it as approximately 3000 or fewer steps per day. Lightly active will include someone who walks around a bit more at their job or at home but is still not very active. Fitbit figures it as approximately 5000 steps per day.

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    trina1049 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    My Fitbit gives me a TDEE that is really close to the one I calculated from my actual numbers. It can be very accurate, but the more you wear it, the more accurate it will become because it will have much more data to work with.

When you first get it, it will calculate according to averages for your height, weight, and how fast you move. Over time it will also have actual calories eaten, weight lost, etc. to factor in, so it can more accurately figure the burn based on real life numbers. To start, maybe eat back about 50-75% of the calories it gives you and see how things work out. If you are losing faster than your plan, eat back more.

This, exactly. My Fitbit Charge HR is pretty accurate and I'm consistently losing weight.
    This is my experience too. I'd be lost without my Fitbit now.
    (I have a One)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »

Are you logging everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly?

If so, contact Fitbit customer service. They'll replace your tracker if it's defective.
    I'm logging as accurately as I can. Fitbit CS just told me to play with a small piece of metal in the Zip to fix it. It still tells me I've got a 3000 TDEE, which would mean I'd be losing 1.5# a week and I'm not. I didn't bother asking about getting a replacement because I don't want a Zip after this experience. I'll be getting a One in October.

There will always be a few defective ones in a product line. I would still recommend Fitbit over other activity trackers, though not the Zip.

ETA: Yes, I'm wearing my Zip in one of the approved areas (my waistband).
  • IammeCA
    IammeCA Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is check your setup data for typos. I was getting some really wierd suggestions and when I double checked I had entered a weight that was almost 300 pounds higher than my actual weight (something like 520 instead of 250).
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options

If (and only if) you enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings, it's entirely a matter of personal preference which one you choose.

Either way, you're eating TDEE minus deficit. Sedentary just gives you fewer calories to start with, but larger adjustments.