Does Fitbit way overestimate calories burned?

Options

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as starvation mode.

Burning 500 calories is light years away from a strenuous workout.

If a Zip is going through more than about 2 batteries a year, it is defective. This happened to me--I called FitBit and received a brand new Zip in less than a week.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    It absolutely makes sense to me if you have your MFP set up for sedentary that it pretty quickly gives you exercise calories. Sedentary is just barely above your BMR...which is the amount of calories you need just to be alive and breathing. It won't take much activity to bump you above that.

I have my MFP set up for moderately active. I have to get 5-6K steps in before my FitBit gives me an exercise allowance above that level of activity.

My natural inclination is to be sedentary. I have to consciously work at it to be active. For that reason alone, I think Sedentary is the right activity level for me. I also know myself well enough to know that if I were to have my activity level set too high, I would find the negative calorie adjustment extending late into the day to be very demotivating. I prefer to be rewarded for being active with extra calories, rather than be penalized for being lazy by having calories taken away. With my activity level set to Sedentary, I get out of negative territory fairly early in the morning. However, I also know that in order to be able to eat enough to not be hungry, I need at least a 500 calorie exercise adjustment.

That's fine. Just explaining why you get an activity adjustment so quickly with the FitBit. It's because you selected sedentary. Just moving around like a normal person pulls you up from sedentary.

I'm well aware of that. My point was that setting your MFP activity level correctly is critical if you don't have an activity tracker, and purely a matter of preference with one.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    When I wear my Fitbit I find the days I work are very accurate. I work in retail & find I burn anywhere from 2100-2400 depending on how grueling my workday was & if I exercise too. On days I have off if I had negative calories enabled & I'm being lazy I get 1,200 (I usually eat more though cause I'd be pretty hangry).

• JennyL791
    JennyL791 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Ha, not in my world. ;) For me right now a workout that burns 450 calories is *very* intense.

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    JennyL791 wrote: »

Ha, not in my world. ;) For me right now a workout that burns 450 calories is *very* intense.

Keep adjusting your expectations upwards. :)
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options

Keep adjusting your expectations upwards. :)

A lot depends on your weight, too.

A 120lb runner would have to run 5.5 miles in an hour to hit 500 calories.

A 200lb runner runs 3.3 miles in an hour to hit 500 calories.

A 300lb walker walks 1.6 miles in an hour and hits 500 calories.

I run into cardiovascular limitations before being able to run 5.5 miles in an hour (even though I could run 3.2 in less than half that...). While most people don't have my specific disability, most people do have a maximum speed that they can reach, quite apart from weight. So no, not everyone could be able to burn 500 calories in a workout. Very few people who aren't obese can do it regularly in times under an hour.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Can anyone define sedentary vs lightly active, beyond the short description given on MFP?

Try this link for defining sedentary vs lightly active.

http://antranik.org/proper-activity-level-for-calorie-intake/
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

If a Zip is going through more than about 2 batteries a year, it is defective. This happened to me--I called FitBit and received a brand new Zip in less than a week.

You can't make blanket statements about other people and exercise, and you always, always do. It comes across as annoying and judgmental. Everyone on here is at a different part of their fitness journey. People are also differently abled, and differently sized.

Additionally, the amount of calories you burn depends on how much you weigh, how fit you are already, how long you exercise and a host of other factors.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    trina1049 wrote: »
    Can anyone define sedentary vs lightly active, beyond the short description given on MFP?

Try this link for defining sedentary vs lightly active.

http://antranik.org/proper-activity-level-for-calorie-intake/

According to that, I am active because of the amount of purposeful exercise I do. However, I spend most of my day, when I am not out walking or swimming, sitting so I have myself as lightly active. It works for me.

• earlnabby
    Options

You can't make blanket statements about other people and exercise, and you always, always do. It comes across as annoying and judgmental. Everyone on here is at a different part of their fitness journey. People are also differently abled, and differently sized.

Additionally, the amount of calories you burn depends on how much you weigh, how fit you are already, how long you exercise and a host of other factors.

Cosigned. Also, for me, the actual activity determines how strenuous it feels (which is sometimes different than how strenuous it actually is). I can walk for an hour and burn just under 500 calories and be sweating like a pig and wiped out, or I can swim laps for an hour, burn almost 600 calories, and come out feeling fresh and ready to go.

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    I freaking LOVE the Stairmaster for pure calories. A very moderate 1 hour and 15 minutes and I have my 500 cal in.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    My Zip overestimates my TDEE by 1000. I think my Zip is just wonky (it also eats batteries like candy), but not all of them are. I do know I won't buy a Zip again based on this one.

I have the Zip, too, and it's pretty darned accurate. I have it strapped to me 24/7 and I've only replaced the battery once in four months. Definitely look into getting a replacement. Fitbit customer service is really decent, I've heard. :)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    IammeCA wrote: »
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is check your setup data for typos. I was getting some really wierd suggestions and when I double checked I had entered a weight that was almost 300 pounds higher than my actual weight (something like 520 instead of 250).

So you fixed it by strapping on a 300 lb weight vest?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    My Zip overestimates my TDEE by 1000. I think my Zip is just wonky (it also eats batteries like candy), but not all of them are. I do know I won't buy a Zip again based on this one.

I have the Zip, too, and it's pretty darned accurate. I have it strapped to me 24/7 and I've only replaced the battery once in four months. Definitely look into getting a replacement. Fitbit customer service is really decent, I've heard. :)

It is, but they would only give me a replacement Zip and I don't want one because this bad one has burned me on that particular item. I keep comparing it to my old Ultra and not understanding how I had a 2300 TDEE with it but have 3000 TDEE with the Zip for similar activity (weight has gone down). How does someone weighing less burn more for the same exercise?
  • earlnabby
    edited June 2015
    Options
    IammeCA wrote: »
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is check your setup data for typos. I was getting some really wierd suggestions and when I double checked I had entered a weight that was almost 300 pounds higher than my actual weight (something like 520 instead of 250).

LOL I learned that one. I accidentally entered my weight here on MFP as 105 lb. instead of 205. I caught it right away and changed it back. I checked Fitbit, and it was already corrected there too. What I didn't check was Map My Fitness. I couldn't figure out why a 5 mile hike only gave me 200 exercise calories. Turns out my weight never got corrected over there.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I deliberately set my activity level to sedentary on MFP even though I now usually walk 8 to 10 miles per day.

I did this because I want my caloric allotment on MFP to give me the base calories I can eat each day without adding in any exercise. I then let my Fitbit calculate my additional calories earned from walking and give me that 'credit' on MFP. I can then easily decide how many calories to eat back in any given day. :)
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I noticed that some activity trackers actually do overestimate steps. I've tried a few--while wearing them at the same time, some reported up to 10,000 steps per day more than others. I also used a footpod and gps to verify steps and distance.

Things like brushing your teeth, riding/driving a car, typing, etc., could increase steps recorded. Things like walking while pushing a cart or stroller can actually cheat you out of steps. Interestingly, the trackers that were best at estimating distances walked, were the worst at adding steps for tooth brushing and driving.

It may be worth a test to see if it's recording when you are brushing your teeth, driving your car, etc. Another check would be to walk a mile and check the number of steps and calories burned. If it records running, do a similar test for running.

And, don't forget, this is only half of the equation. We're all very different. What works for others, may not be accurate for you. Depending on age and lifestyle, BMR represents 45 to 70 percent of daily total energy expenditure, and it is determined mainly by the individual’s age, gender, body size and body composition [1]. There's a big difference between 45 and 70, and that's only part of the calculation for total energy requirements. That means that even if you calibrate the device for age, gender, weight, (most likely), and body composition (not as likely), there's still another 30 to 55 percent of energy requirements to estimate.

[1] FAO/WHO/UNU. 2004. Human energy requirements. Rome, 17-24 October 2001
  • earlnabby
    Options
    ScreeField wrote: »
    I noticed that some activity trackers actually do overestimate steps. I've tried a few--while wearing them at the same time, some reported up to 10,000 steps per day more than others.

Things like brushing your teeth and riding/driving a car could increase steps recorded. Things like walking while pushing a cart or stroller can actually cheat you out of steps.

It may be worth a test to see if it's recording when you are brushing your teeth, driving your car, etc. Another check would be to walk a mile and check the number of steps and calories burned. If it records running, do a similar test for running.

I have done stuff like that. I walked and manually counted steps at the same time, I held my arm completely still while walking (holding my phone set to the Fitbit app), I have sat down in a chair and swung my arm like I do when walking, etc. The counts I got were dead on and I did not get any false steps when just swinging my arm. I am sure I get the occasional false step if I jerk my arm and there will be some steps that don't get counted, but they seem to cancel each other out to where the total for the day is pretty accurate.

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    ScreeField wrote: »
    Things like brushing your teeth, riding/driving a car, typing, etc., could increase steps recorded. Things like walking while pushing a cart or stroller can actually cheat you out of steps.

Do not overthink your step count—it's only a metric. All that matters is the accuracy of your burn. Enable negative calorie adjustments, trust your Fitbit for several weeks, and reevaluate your progress.